Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcv system not connected?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcv system not connected?

Ok so I bought a 2000 ss Camaro last week and I noticed that where the pcv valve on passenger side goes to the throttle body isn't there.

The little metal tube end is there to connect a hose on the valve covers side BUT the rubber hose is gone and the Throttle bodys metal tube end where you push the hose on is gone.

I can see a hole there for it so im guessing it broke off

So I was going to just cap the valve cover side of the pcv but would this create pressure on the crank or what do you guys recommend?

Edit: Attached picture shows everything I mentioned as if its all still there though haha
Attached Thumbnails Pcv system not connected?-vcccc.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default Going to auto zone in a bit

??? Cab Anybody tell me what I should buy or how to set it up so I don't blow my crank or all the oil seals from the pressure
Old 11-11-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't plug it. Do a search here or on the conversions page. You'll find diagrams of how it's routed.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

I understand where it routes to. But the little brass colored nipple that comes off my throttle body is missing. Theres just a hole there, and then the fitting where you connect the tubing on the valve cover side is just open.

So what im getting at is this: Does the fitting im talking about which routes to my throttle body relieve the crank pressure, or is it one of the other parts of the pcv system that does sucks air in. Because then I could just put a breather there in place of it and not worry about it.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE THROTTLE BODY HOLE: I just went out there and this hole is the same location where I thought the pcv is ran from the passenger side BUT my throttle linkage has a silver metal thing in the way so it cant be the stock location.

I did noticethat my metal crossover tubes are still there where they connect the 2 valve covers or whatever
Attached Thumbnails Pcv system not connected?-1415743849053_img_20141111_155534_979.jpg  

Last edited by goldcar; 11-11-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Your image wont blow up but I think I know what you're talking about.
There's a port on the TB that is routed in front of the TB blades. I'm guessing that's the port that's missing. If you cant find anything to fit there, just plug it. You can insert a port anywhere between the MAF and TB (metered air). From there it goes to the passenger side valve cover tube. That's the way the stock system supplies metered air into the crankcase.
There's a hole in the rear of the drivers side valve cover. There's a PCV valve there in the truck motors, I think it's the same in the car. You need the valve for the system to work. That valve can be routed anywhere into the intake manifold behind the TB blade. That is where air/fumes are removed from the crankcase.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so just drill a hole into my intake elbow and use a push in threaded Npt adapter then run rubber hose to the passenger valve cover rite?

The part that's missing on my throttle body is where the clean air comes from it into the valve cover so im pretty sure were talking about the same thing lol.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

That will work. It's done on truck to car intake swaps since the clean air port is sometimes part of the intake or already ported to the intake tube between the TB and MAF.
Search the conversions forum for "LS6 intake LQ9" in the title, I think you'll find pics.
Btw, the outlet on the back of the drivers side valve cover is usually ported to one of the ports just behind the TB on the intake. I guess that way it distributes puked oil to all cylinders instead of just one....lol.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Ok hopefully mine has the drivers side ported to the intake already lol. It idles fine so im guessing the fresh air in line was the only messed up part in the pcv system.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by garys 68
That will work. It's done on truck to car intake swaps since the clean air port is sometimes part of the intake or already ported to the intake tube between the TB and MAF.
Search the conversions forum for "LS6 intake LQ9" in the title, I think you'll find pics.
Btw, the outlet on the back of the drivers side valve cover is usually ported to one of the ports just behind the TB on the intake. I guess that way it distributes puked oil to all cylinders instead of just one....lol.
Ok so I looked for the back port and it appears that the one (Only one on that side) on drivers side valve cover crosses over behind the intake manifold and goes to the passenger side back pvc spot which connects the two. And this appears to be the rite way when stock rite???
Thanx bud
Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Default Pcv system questions

Alright so I just had a few quick questions about my 2000 ss Camaros pcv system.

1. The metered air inlet that connects to my Throttle body is basically just sucking in metered air as in air that's been threw a filter (Air filter) rite?

2. Should the metered air inlet have any suction while idling or revving? Because I checked for any suction and couldn't feel any at all.

3.Can I route my hose into my slp lid because my spot on the throttle body was removed or broken (previous owner) and it's just a nice round hole there now and I have no rubber hose from the front port on passenger valve cover.

4. Is there anyway when I get this fixed to make sure im not getting pressure/gasses left in the bottom end... Like by removing oil fill cap after a drive and no air hissing out would mean it's all good, or is that not a good way to tell?

Sorry but I love my car and just want it to last as long as possible, and this pcv crap confuses me.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Got a pic??? trying to figure out whats broke or missing
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Yea here's a picture that shows the hole where the connector should be for the hose.
Attached Thumbnails Pcv system not connected?-1415743849053_img_20141111_155534_979.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Really just want to know those 4 questions that I asked from anyone that knows about the pvc system, because the part that's missing off my throttle body doesn't matter anymore lol.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the barb on the throttle body thats missing should have a hose going to the passenger side valve cover at the front barb..

the drivers side rear port has a hose that loops around the back of the intake and is joined by a smaller hose from the passenger rear valve cover barb and that comes around to a PCV valve that goes into the intake manifold
Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
well the barb on the throttle body thats missing should have a hose going to the passenger side valve cover at the front barb..

the drivers side rear port has a hose that loops around the back of the intake and is joined by a smaller hose from the passenger rear valve cover barb and that comes around to a PCV valve that goes into the intake manifold
Yea
That's exactly all that i know about the pvc system already. I was just curious if i could re-route my passenger side front barb into my slp lid like another member stated awhile back.
And if you or anyone else could answer my questions in the 1st post that'd help me out a lot bud, thanks.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

That's the way it was originally set up.
PCV on passenger side, Evap on drivers side.
Btw, you need to plug the hole missing that fitting.

Originally Posted by goldcar
Ok so I looked for the back port and it appears that the one (Only one on that side) on drivers side valve cover crosses over behind the intake manifold and goes to the passenger side back pvc spot which connects the two. And this appears to be the rite way when stock rite???
Thanx bud

Last edited by garys 68; 11-13-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt. I would find another throttle body with the barb on it and hook it up as it was intended..
Old 11-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
I wouldnt. I would find another throttle body with the barb on it and hook it up as it was intended..
Either way its just routed to the throttle body to suck in clean air. Not like it is in that exact spot for a good reason
Old 11-14-2014, 03:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Some truck intakes have that fitting on the intake rather than the TB. No room on the DBW TB for it so the option is to plumb between the TB and MAF on the intake tube or tap a fitting on the manifold like I did.
As ro your questions:
1. Yes and no. The air should be filtered and needs to have gone through the MAF.
2. Don't worry, you'll feel vet little suction.
3. Needs to be between TB and MAF
4. Your dipstick will blow out if it builds too much pressure.

Quick Reply: Pcv system not connected?