Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typhoon Intake review from someone who actually owned one

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Typhoon Intake review from someone who actually owned one

Moved to this forum:
After reading the 15th post by someone bashing the typhoon intake who did not own one, I can't hold my tongue.

I bought the 85mm polished typhoon several years ago when money was at a premium. I dyno'd 397 RWHP and 385 tq. This was with TSP 224 cam mild hand ported LS1 heads on a stock cube LS1 with pacesetters though a 4l60e with a yank 3200 converter. When dyno tuning the car I got NO heat soak. My numbers were consistent and my highest dyno was my last pull my car was on there for at least two hours.. So the people saying heat soak... Um meh.. If you go with the idea that aluminum causes such heat soak then all the pro stock cars who have been running aluminum intakes for the past 30 years must really suck and all the intake manufactureres, Edelbrock, Holley etc would get rid of aluminum and go strictly with composite.

A couple years later when I had a better job and could afford to splurge, I gave in to peer pressure and bought a fast 92 and NW TB. Tuned it on the same dyno and found that my extra 1200 bux gained me... 4hp and 5tq. This was on a day in January compared to Sept when the Typhoon was dyno'd.

I will say this, when I got my the typhoon, the gaskets that came with it were crap! But I called them up, I actually got an answer (an American btw) ,and when I asked if they could suggest any better gaskets, they overnighted me a different set that were perfect for free.

I will also say that the fuel rails that came with the intake felt cheap, but never gave me a problem. The fast didn't come with fuel rails and I almost forgot I forked out another $200 for fuel rails when I used the fast bringing my cost to $1400 for 4hp.

So a word to the wise: when seeking advice on the internet, make sure the people giving the advice actually have used the product. Many of the "experts" don't have a clue. And also find more than one opinion.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Great post, would recommend.

Vernon
Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

run it hard at the track when its warm you might see where that extra money comes from.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

I have..
Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by ronsws6
I have..
please share.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Ron you could have lost 4 horsepower with the Fast and some would still bitch that the heat soak will get you in the end. I've been running a BBK intake for years and it's never been a problem, also in Texas.

Vernon
Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Launching!

I had one but didnt end up running it. Everyone said the **** about heat soak which i wasnt worried about but after picking it up then a ls6 right after i went with the ls6 and sold the typhoon.

Id like to see real world testing on it myself.

If i was going to run a boosted motor i would go with that over a composite intake any day.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

dont get me wrong theres plenty of people running them that like it.

im just going by a well known tuner in my area has told me about them.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

The car's times were consistent. My reaction times however..Lol... I don't have the slips any more, but the heat soak boogeyman never got me... My foot did..
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
please share.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by ronsws6
The car's times were consistent. My reaction times however..Lol... I don't have the slips any more, but the heat soak boogeyman never got me... My foot did..
fair enough.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

My own tuner told me it would heat soak, but had never used one and then my car proved him wrong. I think that's why he ran it hard for two solid hours on the dyno tuning it.
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
dont get me wrong theres plenty of people running them that like it.

im just going by a well known tuner in my area has told me about them.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do heat soak. But case and point, as soon as you start pulling ambient air through them heatsoak doesn't matter. The air is moving far to quickly for the temperature of the intake manifold itself to make much of, if any difference. What concerns me, and most people who actually know what they are doing (not forum quoting retards) is the fact that the Chinese castings haven't been the best, or smoothest in the past. I think it's gotten much better in the past 5-6 years as most company's have American based QC vs the older stuff just being boxed up and shipped out. I bought a Chinese copy of a Parker funnel web for a 8.2 deck sbf several years back and the casting in the plenum looked so bad I thought it was melted when I got it. That being said several people have had good results with aluminum intakes that I know. Thanks for the honest review.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So you've ran both intakes at the same track but at different times? If so then what was the difference in mph?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

The speeds were consistent. I'm not saying the fast intake is bad. It's great. My point is that the typhoon is not this turd that everyone who has never used one makes it out to be and for me the fast wasn't worth the increased cost over the typhoon.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Got it!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Good info here. May have just saved me a bunch of money
Old 02-04-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Bout time we kicked this dead horse!

If you look back for my thread in the dyno section (I think I titled it something like "383 LS6 does this look right" or something), I did a not-so back to back comparison. I swapped my 96MM Typhoon, Pacesetter 1 3/4" LTs and Flowmaster catback for a FAST 102MM, TSP 1 7/8" and Magnaflow catback. Went from 429WHP/422WTQ to 462/450 on the same dyno.

How much was the intake? How much was the LT change, and how much did that chokemaster replacement get me? I don't know, sucks but that's how it is. Would I say that the FAST got me 5 or less? Absolutely not.

Also, I just started to get into HP Tuners by watching a friend. I happened to notice there was a modifier for heat transfer in the intake or some business, can anyone speak to this? I've never heard a tuner refer to it, but I swear I saw it as he was flipping through the various tabs.

So keep your extra weight, I'll stick to FAST... and avoid Flowmaster, LOL
Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by themealonwheels

If you look back for my thread in the dyno section (I think I titled it something like "383 LS6 does this look right" or something), I did a not-so back to back comparison. I swapped my 96MM Typhoon, Pacesetter 1 3/4" LTs and Flowmaster catback for a FAST 102MM, TSP 1 7/8" and Magnaflow catback. Went from 429WHP/422WTQ to 462/450 on the same dyno.

How much was the intake? How much was the LT change, and how much did that chokemaster replacement get me? I don't know, sucks but that's how it is. Would I say that the FAST got me 5 or less? Absolutely not.

Also, I just started to get into HP Tuners by watching a friend. I happened to notice there was a modifier for heat transfer in the intake or some business, can anyone speak to this? I've never heard a tuner refer to it, but I swear I saw it as he was flipping through the various tabs.

not to start **** again but im with you man lol.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels

Under engine; spark; spark advance; IAT spark it will pull spark when you get heat soaked.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Under engine; spark; spark advance; IAT spark it will pull spark when you get heat soaked.
If the iat sensor gets heat soaked it will pull timing correct. If the intake Gets heat soaked it doesn't have a iat sensor inside the intake to make any difference to the timing tables. I think I read that right......

Quick Reply: Typhoon Intake review from someone who actually owned one