Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air/fuel ratio gauges# Let's discuss them.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts
Default air/fuel ratio gauges# Let's discuss them.....

So I really like the look of a gauge left of my steering wheel mounted in the A/C vent.....
I think it would be cool to put a air/fuel ratio gauge in that location but as I started to look at the air/fuel ratio gauges on the market I quickly found out that's it's more to them than what people think. So if you hot ant experience with a brand I want to hear it .... quality, fitment, accuracy, etc!!

Let's start off by look at innovate motorsports. Wideband data, other MTS sensors, and data from "piggyback" fuel controllers and stand-alone factory ECUs.

FeaturesOne additional analog output that connects to gaugeBlacked-out appearance when not poweredThough gauge is analog, the LC-1 has serial in/out to accommodate add'l modular tuning componentsFor LC-1's digital output, log directly onto laptop using softwareInstructions for easy wiring setup

Next up we have autometer it features
Includes 10.5 ft. tubing or wiring harness.LED digital display.0-4v data output feed for ECU, data acquisition unit, or Laptop tuningAuto-Dimming gauge brightness featureIncludes custom tuned .1 AFR Resolution Bosch LSU4.2 SensorDisplay data in Lambda or numerical A/F ratioUser programmable rangePeak recall/memory10:1 to 20:1 AFR Range for Gasoline ApplicationsAdjustable for Alternate Fuel Types (Ethanol, Methanol, Propane, CNG)6:1 to 18:1 AFR Range for Alternate Fuel TypesUser Programmable Warning FunctionThis product has no provision for dial illumination/backlighting.

Okay then there is AEM.....
No free air calibration required - everAccurate to .1 AFRAdjustable backlighting via a dial on the back of the gaugeTwo status lights for error detection and operating statusIncludes white and black gauge facesIncludes black and silver interchangeable bezels320° viewing area for unsurpassed resolutionIncludes Bosch 4.2 sensor for optimum accuracy and reliability0-5v analog output included for use with data loggers and virtually any engine management system

aeroforce.....
The Interceptor gauge is 52mm (2 1/16") in diameter and will fit in all standard gauge pods of this size. A 5' cable is included with appropriate OBD2 connector. A splitter cable is included with the dual Interceptor units. Gauges come with a black bezel with polished silver center ring with a black face as shown on right. An extra white face is also included and can easily be swapped since the bezel screws on/off. Optional black, polished silver, and brushed silver bezel along with various other face options can be purchased separately from the accessories page.dum

A function menu is available by pushing both buttons simultaneously. One menu option allows you to enter a record mode. Once selected, the Interceptor will return to normal scan mode, but will start recording the displayed data automatically when the throttle exceeds 60%. Approximately 60 seconds of data will be stored. Returning to the menu screen, you can choose to replay the stored data on the Interceptor display.dum

I can't forget about glow shift.....
2 1/16thdumInch (52mm) Black Face with Magnified LensGauge Depth Measures 15/16 of an InchBlue Digital Numeric Display Reads from 10.0 to 20.0 AFR and is Accurate to One Decimal Place3 Color LED Ring Indicates Lean, Rich, and Optimal Air/Fuel MixtureDigital 12 Volt Wideband Contoller Unit with Data Logging OutputBosch LSU 4.9 Wideband Oxygen Sensor13 Foot Sensor Wire Harness6 Foot Control Unit to Gauge Wire Harness5 Foot Power Wire HarnessWeld-In Sensor BungMounting and Installation HardwareFree Lifetime Technical SupportOne Year Limited Warrantydum
Linear Narrowband Output: 0 to 1 VoltLinear Wideband Output: 0 to 5 Volts.

now if miss a brand I apologize. So who has the best air/fuel on the market and why??
Old 02-13-2015, 06:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Mourning bump!
Old 02-13-2015, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know what's the "best", but I have used multiple Innovate products in the past and they have always served me well. I ran the LC-1 and MTX-L on a megasquirt standalone speed density setup and they worked well. LC-1 is super old now..... I don't know if you can even get it from Innovate directly anymore. MTX-L is a complete package with serial gauge for a good price.

I run a LC-2 now on the vette now with no gauge, I just have an analog output wired into the stock PCM for datalogging purposes.

If you wanted a gauge as well, seems like the MTX-L would be what you're looking for. The free air calibration stuff never bothered me, I just did the original one and it worked fine from there... granted it was nevera car a daily drove so I didn't put tons of miles on it. If your pcm is set up to cut fuel on decel in gear you could always calibrate in that scenario as well rather than having to pull the sensor out every so often.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can only speak for the AEM air/fuel gauge I have, which is really nice. It was not hard at all to install, and it's honestly one of the best mods I've done to the car. It's always nice to know where your air/fuel ratio is at, especially when you're trying to put your foot through the floor.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Getting interesting!!
Old 02-13-2015, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only use the aeroforce. I've got the dual gauge set up with a couple of their add on sensor kits with a/f being one. I've always liked these because of the multiple options you have for what you can monitor and also check and clear codes as need be. If you look in the classifieds there was someone selling the gauges brand new cheap and I think he had some sensor kits too
Old 02-13-2015, 08:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

AEM here.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

So I see you guys all running a different name brand and seem to have no complaints about none of those.......
Old 02-14-2015, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sub'd....need a pair for mine.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have AEM in both my cars and like it.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Is yall guys satisfied on how the gauges appear at night ?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am. Easy to see where I have it located, and the gauge itself is easy to read.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is a dumb question but..., what's the purpose of have a AF gauge? I know the function of it and all but is it necessary?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
I know this is a dumb question but..., what's the purpose of have a AF gauge? I know the function of it and all but is it necessary?
The purpose is so that you know your vehicles Air/Fuel ratio at all different operation levels. A vehicle can run lean outside of WOT and be fine, but if the vehicle is lean at WOT, it's going to get destroyed. At the same time, if the vehicle is running overly rich, even at WOT, you're leaving power on the table and burning unnecessary fuel. My tuner has my car setup to run lean outside of WOT (helps with gas mileage), but once I mash the pedal down, the Air/Fuel ratio is right where it needs to be. Being able to monitor your vehicles Air/Fuel ratio is a must if you ask me, and should be the first gauge you buy and hookup. A lot of people will tell you it's not necessary on a NA vehicle, but I beg to differ. Also, being able to view your vehicle's Air/Fuel ratio at all times is great because if all of the sudden the vehicle is running rich or lean, you know you have a problem.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Not a dumb question Scotty..... I'm still leaning about it myself
Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
The purpose is so that you know your vehicles Air/Fuel ratio at all different operation levels. A vehicle can run lean outside of WOT and be fine, but if the vehicle is lean at WOT, it's going to get destroyed. At the same time, if the vehicle is running overly rich, even at WOT, you're leaving power on the table and burning unnecessary fuel. My tuner has my car setup to run lean outside of WOT (helps with gas mileage), but once I mash the pedal down, the Air/Fuel ratio is right where it needs to be. Being able to monitor your vehicles Air/Fuel ratio is a must if you ask me, and should be the first gauge you buy and hookup. A lot of people will tell you it's not necessary on a NA vehicle, but I beg to differ. Also, being able to view your vehicle's Air/Fuel ratio at all times is great because if all of the sudden the vehicle is running rich or lean, you know you have a problem.
Makes complete sense. I'm sure if I bought a AF gage I'd end up buying HP Tuners lmao
Old 02-17-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd love to have HP tuners too, but I'm afraid I'd never figure out how to use it. I've looked into some of the tuning threads, and it's pretty much way over my head. I guess you'd figures stuff out in time, but I'll just let the professionals handle all of that for now.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Phoenix, where did you mount your gauge ?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Phoenix, where did you mount your gauge ?
I bought the Glowshift 3 pillar gauge pod, and mounted that to the A-pillar. I have the AEM wideband gauge in the middle pod, and my Glowshift electric fuel pressure gauge in the bottom pod. The third pod will most likely be a boost gauge, when that day comes.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the autometer one in my car in a triple pillar and I love it. I also had aem. Both work great no complaints. both easy to read day and night. Think I like the autometer one better cause it goes with the rest of my gauges

Quick Reply: air/fuel ratio gauges# Let's discuss them.....