Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could: 102 or 92.... And what throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If you could: 102 or 92.... And what throttle body?

I've read a lot of threads on the FAST 92 vs the 102. I've spoken to vendors as well. Some threads are from a few years ago, so info might be outdated: which is why I'm posting this again. (I'm curious to to what the MSD intake has to offer, but since its a few months out, I'll leave it to this).

I currently have an LS6 intake (2001 M6 SS), which my tuner says I should leave as is. I'm building a more powerful street machine. Won't see any track time, want to keep my accessories operational, want to be able to drive in stop and go traffic... But still need to be able to embarrass any idiot who pulls up next to me (gotta make up for something, you know?!)

I've decided on TFS heads (likely Tooley manipulated 220's).... Cam will be a mild-mid grind.

So: let's talk about it: if you were in my shoes what would you do: Keep the LS6, step up to the 92, or go all out, eat ramen for a few months, and go 102?

From what I've heard: 102 requires new fuel rails, water pump modifications, and new bellows (I have a K&N FIPK), and I lose my STB.... I've also read about build quality issues, and some claim low end torque losses (not ideal when the AC is pumping, and I'm stuck in summer beach traffic).

What would you do? And what TB would you go with?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Really a ported 102/102 will give you the most power, but yes it will require new fuel rails. Or you could do what I did and wait for a smoking deal on a used setup. Got my ported Fast 90/90 combo for $600. It also came with fuel rails and injectors which I didn't need, so I when ahead and sold them and made a few bucks back as well
Old 02-14-2015, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Fast 92, PTM 95mm. Simple install, no fitment issues, plenty to feed your motor.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

FAST 102 is cheaper than the 92. In fact, with LS2 fuel rails, it's about the same price. And the TBs are the same price. So it's a total wash in terms of price. The LS2 rails work fine and you can run LS2 injectors with connection adapters.

The 102 will not lose any low end torque. Anyone who keeps thinking that doesn't know how these engines actually work. More airflow at any RPM = good. And it's worth like 20-25rwhp over an LS6. Is it worth it? I don't know. That's up to you for the price. But to say it's not buying you anything over an LS6 is also a naive way to look at it.

It's build more solidly than the 92 (both are total **** tho). It has a sturdier plastic and is heavier. The inner runners don't seal up and that can be a bit of an issue.

The 102 might need a WP grind and will need you to massage the firewall if you want to run your MAP back there. I just relocated my MAP to the front. Also, the brake booster hose is re-positioned. You'll need a new, longer hose.

As for the Throttle Body. I'd buy the Nick Williams. The FAST actually allows more bypass air around the blade and is smoother to operate (I have them both). The FAST also has a nice low pressure zone for part throttle airflow. But, the NW, once you open it up enough, will idle and operate fine. I found I had to open it up much more tho ~ .67V vs .47V on the TPS read-out to get my IAC counts hot around 40. The FAST has a very small weirdly shaped IAC port. So cold starts are a pain. The NW is much larger and better shaped to allow additional porting. I have no idea on the PTM. But the FAST is built better but designed worse than the NW. The NW, without that low pressure zone, has much better throttle response with the same tune. It's much snappier as the airflow is crazy at part throttle.

I would go with the 102 just for that. Plus the added power, better build quality, and roughly the same amount of cost. But it's not without aggravation.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going with TFS heads you might as well go with a ported 102. I have a Mamo ported 102 and Nick Williams 102 on stock internals. Most of the guys saying you don't need a 102 or that you'll lose torque are just basing off what they read on the forums. Mamo even says his ported 102 is not too much for a 346. Redbird555 did a back to back dyno from a 92 to 102 TB and picked up 6 rwhp/7 rwtq.

I just installed the TB and intake last week. Seat of the pants suggest it picked up everywhere. The throttle body helps with throttle response down low then the intake shines from midrange to redline.

I bought my FAST 102 used with LS3 fuel rails, spacers, and injectors for $650. I've seen LS6 intakes with rails and injectors sell for $450+. There are deals to be had if you're patient. Just my two cents.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

I vote nick Williams on the throttle body. They are really nice and easy to tune......
Old 02-14-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I vote nick Williams on the throttle body. They are really nice and easy to tune......
yes,NW with a 102.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:24 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally for EASE OF SWAP, and with your intentions, I'd grab a Fast 92 and NW92. Or PTM, but I have no experience with PTM.

I ran the Fast 92/NW 92 combo on the Camaro and loved it. Everything you have now will transfer right over, no modifications needed.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Tricky tricky. I didn't even realize I might need spacers for the injectors with the 102.

It's too bad the build of both is shoddy. You'd expect for the cost, they could need them up a touch.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Is you thinking about having the intake ported to get the most out of it?
Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Is you thinking about having the intake ported to get the most out of it?
I was honestly thinking about sticking with my LS6. But then I got to thinking; if I'm going to have Brian Tooley hand blend my heads, then it would also make great sense to have him port match and intake while he's in there.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Personally for EASE OF SWAP, and with your intentions, I'd grab a Fast 92 and NW92. Or PTM, but I have no experience with PTM.

I ran the Fast 92/NW 92 combo on the Camaro and loved it. Everything you have now will transfer right over, no modifications needed.
I went with the 92/92 and picked up 20/10 over the LS1 intake. Would have been more but at the time I had the K&N FIPK CAI which is complete ****. The swap is a cake walk. Hardest part was modding my steam lines.

x2 for getting a Nick Williams TB. I went with the fast and still trying to iron out my cold start issues and idle hang.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I was honestly thinking about sticking with my LS6. But then I got to thinking; if I'm going to have Brian Tooley hand blend my heads, then it would also make great sense to have him port match and intake while he's in there.
Port matching to your heads is worth 15HP. It's totally worth it.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

with the new tunable FAST intakes coming out, there might be a few more used intakes hitting the resale market.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Well, it's almost crunch time... and I'm still on the fence.

Jake, you mentioned port matching is worth 15whp: is that on both intakes? or just the 102?

I spoke a little to a vendor who really recommends the 102 (with a 92mm TB), but my tuner is leaning more towards the 92intake. So it's a crapshoot at this point.

The 102 would lose the "Strut top bar", and require a little extra massaging to get in... But the 92 is drop and go...

Can anybody comment any further? I know there were issues with both intakes and vacuum leaks: is this still an issue for both?

Can anybody really comment on 102 install?? Is there more to modify beyond the water pump? I know about the MAP sensor: moving it to the front just requires an extension harness, no? Any modifications to the steam lines (or because I have an LS6 already, I'm good?).
Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I ran the **** out of a stick out of the box 92 and liked it. Everything I had just swapped right over, no issues with anything.

If you're trying to extract every last ounce, get the 102. If you're looking for ease of install and still significantly gaining, get the 92.

And I recommend a Nick Williams 92 over a Fast 92 TB any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Well, it's almost crunch time... and I'm still on the fence.

Jake, you mentioned port matching is worth 15whp: is that on both intakes? or just the 102?

I spoke a little to a vendor who really recommends the 102 (with a 92mm TB), but my tuner is leaning more towards the 92intake. So it's a crapshoot at this point.

The 102 would lose the "Strut top bar", and require a little extra massaging to get in... But the 92 is drop and go...

Can anybody comment any further? I know there were issues with both intakes and vacuum leaks: is this still an issue for both?

Can anybody really comment on 102 install?? Is there more to modify beyond the water pump? I know about the MAP sensor: moving it to the front just requires an extension harness, no? Any modifications to the steam lines (or because I have an LS6 already, I'm good?).
The 102 install isn't as bad as what people make it out to be. I never had a strut tower brace. If you really care about handling then springs/shocks/sways are more important anyway.

I relocated my MAP sensor to the front. Bought an extension harness for ~$20 from Speartech. Pushed the front cross coolant lines down and out of the way. Took a Dremel to the stock water pump for my 102 TB to clear. I don't know what 'massaging' you're referencing but mine went on just fine. You'll need low profile valley cover bolts as well, I think that applies to the 92 too. I did not have any vacuum leaks. I adjusted the idle control screw on my 102 with an allen wrench and it drives fine untuned.

Yes, it takes a little extra work. I'm far from mechanically inclined and I installed it myself. Couldn't be happier with the results. I'm still on stock heads/cam and it picked up significantly. Tony Mamo ported mine. I never had it on the car unported so I couldn't tell you how much of the gain came from his work.

The other thing to consider is FAST will be releasing removable runners for the 102. If I'm not mistaken the 92 is all one shell whereas the 102 is a top and bottom.

If you're sticking with TFS heads I really think a ported 102 is the way to go if you couldn't already tell.

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I ran the **** out of a stick out of the box 92 and liked it. Everything I had just swapped right over, no issues with anything.

If you're trying to extract every last ounce, get the 102. If you're looking for ease of install and still significantly gaining, get the 92.

And I recommend a Nick Williams 92 over a Fast 92 TB any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I think regardless if he goes with a 92 or 102 TB the consensus across the board is to go with a Nick Williams. The IAC port is larger making it easier to adjust idle plus it's a very high quality piece all around.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

The NW is a given at this point. Now I just need to pick my hunk of plastic.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another for PTM throttle body!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't say how hard the swap is in the car. I installed mine while the motor was on the stand waiting to be put in. I relocated my map sensor to the front. No clearance issues and easier to get to.

Only takes a few mins to clear some space off the water pump no big deal. I say a ported 102. You can always grow and add more power in the future. I ran aftermarket steam lines above the intake.

And yes go with a NW102 or 92 if you choose that. I made the mistake of using a fast first. Then I switched to a black NW102 to match my intake

Quick Reply: If you could: 102 or 92.... And what throttle body?