Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 coolant crossover piping/plugs options

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 coolant crossover piping/plugs options

I just bought an ls6 intake and it's coming with the crossover pipe, but I can't seem to find a place that sells the plugs, anyone ave any suggestions for where to find them or other solutions? Thanks

Edit: Gonna call the dealership and see if they have the plugs, just got the part number (2x 2001+ rear coolant plugs - #12562788) from ls1howto.com, any other options that may be cheaper lol?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:04 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

(Assuming you have an F-body) do you have the original LS1 four corner steam pipe?
Old 03-06-2015, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Yes, I haven't pulled it off yet, I was wanting to make sure that I had everything needed so I could have it back on the road the same day, it's my daily.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I recommend you retain the four corner cooling piping. The bottom of the LS6 manifold is flat causing the ribs on the bottom to hit the coolant lines. You just need to shave off the ribs where the line passes underneath.

While you have this all apart, are you doing the LS6 valley plate/PCM upgrade?

Fresh knock sensors and OPSU are wise to do at the same time, the intake needs to come off to do all this.

Expect to find a lot of junk under there from the LS1 PCV system, they're not very good.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I wasn't at the time but after a little looking around I'm thinking I might as well, thanks for the help!
Old 03-12-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I recommend you retain the four corner cooling piping. The bottom of the LS6 manifold is flat causing the ribs on the bottom to hit the coolant lines. You just need to shave off the ribs where the line passes underneath.

While you have this all apart, are you doing the LS6 valley plate/PCM upgrade?

Fresh knock sensors and OPSU are wise to do at the same time, the intake needs to come off to do all this.

Expect to find a lot of junk under there from the LS1 PCV system, they're not very good.

That may as well have been a picture of mine after I pulled the intake. Ended up pulling the heads to clean everything up. then, P/P and mill since they're out. these projects grow fast

Paul is right - keep the LS1 crossover and make it fit. much better steam venting if you do. do the LS6 valley cover. You stand a good chance of breaking the OPSU during removal and install anyway. Better to have it so you're not delayed reassembling your car.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Yep. When I pulled mine it was filthy under there. I ordered a nice set of 4 corner cooling off this guy on eBay. Braided hoses and aluminum billet fittings. Turned out nice. Just received my new ls6 pcv valley cover also so intake has to come off again! Great advise guys!!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:48 PM

I was able to make that ls1 tube work with some careful rebending. I like the assurance steam gets back to the radiator. My photo album shows one pic with the pipe installed over the ls6 cover
Old 03-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Coolant Crossover

I did not feel comfortable blocking off the rear coolant vents either, even though the newer motors came with the rear vents plugged.

Instead of bending and hitting the stock crossover tube with a hammer, I bought an extra ls6 style crossover tube. It worked like a charm! I added a brass T-fitting to the front and ran some extra fuel line I had lying around to connect the T to the rear. I routed the new coolant line under the wire loom on the valve covers. When I tuck my wires this summer, I will have to get creative, but for now it serves its purpose!
Attached Thumbnails LS6 coolant crossover piping/plugs options-steam-vents.jpg  
Old 03-18-2015, 06:13 PM

Glad you found a solution you like. The crossover tubes are soft. Used a tubing bender to prevent crimping. Worked great. Either way, you got a solution you like. That's what matters

Quick Reply: LS6 coolant crossover piping/plugs options