Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building my 2000 camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default building my 2000 camaro SS

Hello boys and girls , I purchased my 2000 Camaro SS M6 , so far it has SLP lid and K&N filter , and no cats to a 80 series flow master muffler .basically stock .
I have sitting in my garage a pacesetter long tubes with a 3 pacesetter ORY and SLP loudmouth 1 kit .
In about 6 weeks or so I will
Have enough funds to do a H/C/I for heads I'm probably going with AFR 215's and cam a probably the Comp cam #54-446-11 and I'm either debating on the Black FAST 102 with the bigmouth or I will try the new MSD Atomic airforce intake .I'm wishing for 500whp or close to it . When I dyno tune it she will have 4.10 rear end with the stock 10 bolt . Is there a better set up then one I mentioned ? I would like to give this 346CI max hp natually aspirated .
Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see yourself with over 400 HP for sure with those mods and heads but not 500 unless you're going forced induction. Up to 440-460 max but I'm just guessing. Good luck on the build.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 229 Likes on 135 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

A better Set-Up?
Contact Tony Mamo @ MMS (MamoMotorSports)
Tony designed the AFR 215 Heads when he worked for AFR,
As well as all of the LS Heads by AFR.
He has since left to start his own Company MMS, and his first
Product MMS 220 Cylinder Heads will make your goal easier to
Reach with a smaller cam and better Driveability.
I would contact him, he can spec your whole enchilada!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You ll be ok with ls6 intake.
I believe only 2001 & 2002 cars had them though.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

500rwhp can be achieved but it's all attention to detail. Don't overlook NOTHING at all when setting the bar that high. Great headers is a must *kooks/ARH with a great free flowing exhaust. As mention earlier you need to team up with Tony Mamo... A great way to learn a lot about what you trying to achieve can be found here in the thread here......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/732392-recipe-500-rwhp-heads-cam.html
Old 03-11-2015, 04:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember too that the numbers will be down a little when you have 4:10s on the dyno. The true dyno is the track
Old 03-11-2015, 04:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
500rwhp can be achieved but it's all attention to detail. Don't overlook NOTHING at all when setting the bar that high. Great headers is a must *kooks/ARH with a great free flowing exhaust. As mention earlier you need to team up with Tony Mamo... A great way to learn a lot about what you trying to achieve can be found here in the thread here......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html
That's a good old thread.

Hitting 500 isn't easy. I can't say I've seen a member on here hit that mark other than the thread listed above. Having a cam that supports 500rwhp myself, I can honestly say you need a well thought out build to hit that number. Bolting on heads and a fast intake won't do it. You're going to have a steep budget and also PAY ATTENTION to every little detail.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just remember too that dynos will vary and it may only make 450 but run like it has 500
Old 03-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the insight guys , I will take that thread into account . I can't wait to get started on it
Old 03-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Banned

Good luck with your Super sport camaro
Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 447 Likes on 167 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thought I would chime in quickly.....

Hitting 500 is challenging in a stroker motor and requires a build that typically costs more than average with the right selection of parts (spending money doesn't guarantee good results.....it has to be spent in the right places).

A 5.7 build at 500 RWHP (on a dyno that is semi accurate!), requires alot more than the average dollar spent (its pricey because naturally you have to optimize ALL the parts and your forced to buy alot of the more expensive components to successfully pull it off). Skimping anywhere will most assuredly place you under that mark.....there are a hundred guys on this board who hoped to get there and failed for probably that very reason....skimping in areas they couldn't afford to if they truly wanted to achieve that goal. Even your driveline is critical at this level.....a lightweight clutch/flywheel set-up is very important.....skimping on that is the difference of making or not making it assuming you went the extra mile to purchase all the correct engine mods and the install and tune went well.

This topic has almost been beaten to death....the guys that have been here awhile rolling their eyes at the posts/threads that mention this number a bit to non nonchalant.....its possible but it takes money and the right laundry list of components to happen. I can help you with the latter without a doubt and design a combination to put you there but its costly and aggressive in nature.....not an ideal choice for a car you spend alot of seat time in.....its more fitting of a part time Friday night street car that sees a fair bit of dragstrip use as well.

To be honest with you most guys would be better suited with a combo that falls just short of that figure and still drives really well.....you give up a little (15-20 RWHP or so) to get alot in terms of much better all around drivability and responsiveness.....car is just alot more fun to drive and spend hours behind the wheel with a power curve that seems to work everywhere....not just when the tach is north of 4K. And 480 RWHP plus to the wheel will still be ripping fast....no slouch by a longshot!

OP.....shoot me a PM, email, or phone call.....all my contact info is below

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Thought I would chime in quickly.....

Hitting 500 is challenging in a stroker motor and requires a build that typically costs more than average with the right selection of parts (spending money doesn't guarantee good results.....it has to be spent in the right places).

A 5.7 build at 500 RWHP (on a dyno that is semi accurate!), requires alot more than the average dollar spent (its pricey because naturally you have to optimize ALL the parts and your forced to buy alot of the more expensive components to successfully pull it off). Skimping anywhere will most assuredly place you under that mark.....there are a hundred guys on this board who hoped to get there and failed for probably that very reason....skimping in areas they couldn't afford to if they truly wanted to achieve that goal. Even your driveline is critical at this level.....a lightweight clutch/flywheel set-up is very important.....skimping on that is the difference of making or not making it assuming you went the extra mile to purchase all the correct engine mods and the install and tune went well.

This topic has almost been beaten to death....the guys that have been here awhile rolling their eyes at the posts/threads that mention this number a bit to non nonchalant.....its possible but it takes money and the right laundry list of components to happen. I can help you with the latter without a doubt and design a combination to put you there but its costly and aggressive in nature.....not an ideal choice for a car you spend alot of seat time in.....its more fitting of a part time Friday night street car that sees a fair bit of dragstrip use as well.

To be honest with you most guys would be better suited with a combo that falls just short of that figure and still drives really well.....you give up a little (15-20 RWHP or so) to get alot in terms of much better all around drivability and responsiveness.....car is just alot more fun to drive and spend hours behind the wheel with a power curve that seems to work everywhere....not just when the tach is north of 4K. And 480 RWHP plus to the wheel will still be ripping fast....no slouch by a longshot!

OP.....shoot me a PM, email, or phone call.....all my contact info is below

Cheers,
Tony
Thanks tony I will pm you with some questions

Quick Reply: building my 2000 camaro SS