Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIPK to lid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FIPK to lid?

Reading on this forum makes me think my K&N FIPK is absolute garbage....

But it came on the car when I bought it.... And it's awefully pretty....

But if I were to convert it over to a lid: would I need to buy extra parts? (I'm guessing yes, as the FIPK has a steel plate installed below it, which likely replaced some key part of the aftermarket air lids...

Would there be any gains making it worth my while?
Old 03-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car came with an FIPK when I bought it as well. First thing I did to the car was swap it for an SLP lid and SSRA. The SSRA is the real difference maker. It gains significantly up top. Lid had a little more throttle response than an FIPK as well.

Swapping to a lid is easier than doing the FAST 102 you plan on doing. All you need is lid, filter, and a radiator support. Sell your FIPK and you should come close to breaking even. Since you're doing a 102 setup I'd go with an FTP 98 and SLP 85mm MAF or speed density.

I highly recommend getting an SSRA/FTRA/Chris1313. They all advertise 1+ mph in the quarter and it's definitely believable.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the same boat this winter. If you think about it, when you close your hood what's that FIPK doing? Sucking in hot engine bay air. Not to mention it doesn't have a direct source of fresh cold air. Even with the SS hood. That hood isn't sealed to that open cone filter. Other than sounding cool it only hurts performance. I'm actually doing before and after dyno results in a couple weeks with Lid vs FIPK.

Op, I sold my FIPK on Craigslist for 150$. If you go on ebay you can find a used radiator support that holds the lid for 65-85$. A used slp lid can be about the same. Then I'd add some sort of ram air and seal the system completely off so the only air source is through the ram air duct. You won't believe how different the throttle response is and also how hard it pulls up top.

Hope this helps!

Scott-
Old 03-13-2015, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, you will need the radiator cover piece as well. I've seen them cheap on ebay.

The FIPK sucks in hot hair and also prevents you from using a ram air setup like mentioned above which are proven to gain ET and MPH at the track.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Here ya go

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261806394251?nav=SEARCH
Old 03-13-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got an extra lower airbox/radiator support, let me know if your interested.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Launching!

My firehawk had one. Had I not decided to sell it, that was the first thing I would have replaced. The nostrils on the hood opened directly onto it. While that's all well and good if I had planned to drive it on nice days only, I would have daily driven it. I did clean the filter and the bottom of it was FILTHY. Completely black and seemingly water logged. Water was sucked directly into it through the hood, whether that be rain or car wash water. You'd be cleaning the MAF far too often for your liking. I'd never have one on anything I own. I too was looking for a lid setup, for no other reason than I didn't want to deal with the maintenance such a thing would have required.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
I've got an extra lower airbox/radiator support, let me know if your interested.
Thanks, but I'm sure the shipping would be a bit high from Cali!

In the missed of a heads/cam/clutch swap now... The FIPK filter's front cone broke off when removing the intake... I'm sure I could just silicone it back together, but I'm just going to use this as an opportunity to to replace it.

Would the SLP be my best bet? Or do you guys think I'm better of spending the money on something a little larger (to future proof it).

And what filters are you using? k&n or standard disposable?

I may also have to find a new Bellow. Looks like the K&N replaced the bellow between the throttlebody and MAF.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion the SLP lid with a decent paper filter and a SSRA or Chris1313 is your best bet. Also consider having your TB ported and polished as well
Old 05-10-2015, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Another vote for SLP lid. I have an FTP now and don't really care foe it. It's the 104mm version. The neck of the lid isn't even close to 104mm. The slp one is a straight shot. I'd definitely search ebay for all the necessary parts and ditch the fipk.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

.................................................. .................................................. ......................................

Last edited by SkWiDsTyLe321; 05-11-2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: life problems

Quick Reply: FIPK to lid?