Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Ported TB stuck at WOT, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP Ported TB stuck at WOT, WTF?

I put in my new Ported TB from Texas Speed and Performance, and while on the Highway at WOT the thing stuck open. What The F***.

So I called TSP and they are not there.

What is wrong with the TB? Any one have this happen before?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I put in my new Ported TB from Texas Speed and Performance, and while on the Highway at WOT the thing stuck open. What The F***.

So I called TSP and they are not there.

What is wrong with the TB? Any one have this happen before?
I would pull the intake off and (while the car is not running of course) manually move the throttle blade and see where it is binding up. I have never yanked my Throttle Position sensor off, but did you have to use your old one? If it is even possible I would check for bind there. Also check to make sure you can't open it too far that it gets stuck. Another silly question...they don't replace the blade and bore it out do they? I mean...if your blade was bigger than the bore on your intake I suppose it could bind. I would have to pull mine apart to even see how fat back the swivel point is from the intake to see if it is physically possible...

That is where I would start though.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:28 PM

Pulled the intake Hose and looked at the TB while a friend operated the gas petal. Could not find any hang ups. Some epoxy could be removed with a finger nail so i removed it. Took the car for a ride and it did not happen again. The TB came with sensors and everything with it. I was Wondering if the Positioning sensor could be bad?
Old 06-04-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not risk it. Get a hold of TSP and let them know about the problem. Something like that can very easily kill you, and should not be dealt with lightly.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Pulled the intake Hose and looked at the TB while a friend operated the gas petal. Could not find any hang ups. Some epoxy could be removed with a finger nail so i removed it. Took the car for a ride and it did not happen again. The TB came with sensors and everything with it. I was Wondering if the Positioning sensor could be bad?
Nope. Your sensor is not going to do that. Some epoxy might though. The only other thing is the magical "traction control caused my throttle to stick wide-open". I have seen multiple claims on here that it happens, but nobody can truly say for sure. If it was stuck, then you turn the engine off without hitting the gas, and it was magically unstuck...then I suppose it may be a possibility. Other than that, it could have just been the epoxy. Did your friend lay into the gas pedal? Were you laying into it hard when it happened?
Old 06-04-2004, 07:41 PM

Yes, we used feet as well as our hands to make sure the petal was to the floor. I had the petal to the floor when it happened in 6th gear. We took the car for about a 20-30 min ride doing WOT several times and had no issues. I will call TSP as soon as I can.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Banned

I wouldn't run it with epoxy that isn't setup good. Could flake off or work itself loose over time. I've tried atleast 8 epoxies to get one I'm happy with that cures good and hard and is designed for intake manifolds and other high temp areas. We had used a couple in the past that had a hard time setting up also... leaving some soft spots.

Surprisingly there is variance from TB to TB regarding actual diameter and blade size, enough that I sometimes have to swap multiple blades in the TB to get one that works right and doesn't stick. Or sometimes I modify the blade itself or the interior of the TB so it doesn't stick. Usually the blades stick at idle or off idle rather than WOT though.

Scott
Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 PM

I can't be sure it was WOT because I was in 6th gear. when it would not slow down when I let off the gas I freaked and pulled it out of gear and the rpm shot up th 6500, then i put it into 4th and it went back to normal.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:12 PM

Scott

Thanks for your input. It is good to have information from a person with a great deal of experience on the subject. I actually wanted one of your TB's, but did not want down time on my car and TSP had a deal outright.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

they are not open on the weekends, so if I think about it I'll check this post tomorrow before noon and try to get Trevor or Jason on their cell to let them know about this.

Lynda
Old 06-05-2004, 02:19 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Dave, let me be the first to apologize if this is indeed a TB problem. I've been porting TB's for the last 4 years and this is the first I've heard that one of mine had problems with. I do ALL of the TB's and yours had me a little concerned a few days ago when you said the blade screws were not cut, I've done the last 25ish + the exact same way so I'm not sure how that one slipped by "uncut" to begin with. I do not use epoxy on the inside like most of the other TB's available, and definatly not anywhere near the blade. Each TB that goes out is checked for binding from idle to WOT while doing the bump stop mod, and none would leave if there was an obvious problem, I've never heard of one sticking open unless something external was holding it. As Jantzer said most of the 'problem' TB's will stick at idle.

Just to be sure this doesn't happen again, I want to take that one back and send you another one. We can't keep ported TB's in stock fast enough, but I will go into work Saturday and do one so it can ship out on Monday via 2nd day air out of my pocket. PM me your phone number and I can give you a call this weekend also to check up on this.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Dang...can't argue with that.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

talk about customer service. Joseph is a great guy and will always go out of his way for a customer, even working late and on the weekends.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
talk about customer service. Joseph is a great guy and will always go out of his way for a customer, even working late and on the weekends.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:25 PM

I ran the TB all day today at NED and had no problems. I was pretty scared yesterday when I left the mesage and posts. Thought I would blow my motor. We did get it to stick again, it was not WOT, just seemed it while running. It actually stuck at 1/4 open. Right where the bottom hole was epoxied. We cleaned up the epoxy and cleaned it with carb cleaner. I think it should be OK now.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-05-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

I ran the TB all day today at NED and had no problems. I was pretty scared yesterday when I left the mesage and posts. Thought I would blow my motor. We did get it to stick again, it was not WOT, just seemed it while running. It actually stuck at 1/4 open. Right where the bottom hole was epoxied. We cleaned up the epoxy and cleaned it with carb cleaner. I think it should be OK now.

Thanks,
Dave
I don't know...I would never look a gift horse in the butt...I mean mouth. You might be safer with a replacement.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Staging Lane

Crazy Joe is the Man!! My throttle body is only the stage 1.5 though....
Old 06-06-2004, 02:48 PM

I'm ok with the TB now that I found the problem. I drove to the track over 260 miles round trip, and 5 runs at the track without a problem. So I am convinced it is ok now. I send TSP a Pm stating this and thanking Joe for the offer of a new TB.

My post was right after it happened and I wanted to see if anyone here had experienced the same. Hopefully someone could help me fix it.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

the throttle stuck on my lt1 before, kept doing it then i just sprayed some wd40 on the spring and it never did it again for 3 years. probably not related just thought id throw that in.