Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on this 96mm intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this 96mm intake

The good, the bad, and the ugly. What do ya'll think? I've only owned my car going on 4 months so I don't know if there is a benefit of having a 2 piece intake or single like this one. Or if plastic or aluminum is better.

Thanks!!

Amazon.com: Chevy LS1 LS6 EFI 96mm Qualifier Intake Manifold: Automotive Amazon.com: Chevy LS1 LS6 EFI 96mm Qualifier Intake Manifold: Automotive
Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd stay away from that thing, and just port your TB or upgrade to a Fast
Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I'd stay away from that thing, and just port your TB or upgrade to a Fast
exactly. the only aftermarket intake worth bolting to your car for a gain over an ls6 is the fast.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/

Good test in another thread. It makes similar power as a LS6. The Weiand and BBK aluminum ones bested the LS6 by about 10hp/5tq on a well built engine.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on this 96mm intake

I run a pro comp 96mm typhoon intake(looks similar) and Making 378hp/350tq with maxed out stock 26lb injectors. One con that I don't care for is the gaskets. The core shift on the intake makes it a little difficult to get lined up. I used gasga-sinch to be sure it sealed up.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by red_00z28
I run a pro comp 96mm typhoon intake(looks similar) and Making 378hp/350tq with maxed out stock 26lb injectors. One con that I don't care for is the gaskets. The core shift on the intake makes it a little difficult to get lined up. I used gasga-sinch to be sure it sealed up.
So what do you guys think of that ?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it tested very well.... id probably pop the bottom off myself and smooth out the inside a little bit because im guessing the casting flash on the inside will be insane.... then it might be a good flowing unit.... also read that you should get different gaskets
Old 08-06-2015, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

for the price of a typhoon just buy a used fast. why would someone buy an intake with known fitment issues. and an aluminum one at that. whether you believe in heat soak or not aluminum intakes will get much hotter and weigh a ton compared to a composite
Old 08-06-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked one up on ebay for 180 bucks brand new in box with all the accessories the other day, and the one tested in the hotrod mag test retail for between 200-220 on the speedmaster website, they can also be had at jegs and amazon. Ill post some pictures up of mine when i get it in on tuesday, but from what ive researched, they are great manifolds for the price if your coming from something worse then the LS6 and dont want to pay the cost of a used LS6 or fast. They also have the advantage of being able to be ported easily since that bottom is removable. The 96mm opening makes it alot more versatile for throttle body options rather then the LS6 as well. No fitment issues to speak of from all the threads I read, and the gaskets have since been updated and can be purchased on amazon.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Launching!

If your running an ls6 mani already I wouldn't bother but it's a decent upgrade from an ls1. Especially when you consider the price.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by spawne32
I picked one up on ebay for 180 bucks brand new in box with all the accessories the other day, and the one tested in the hotrod mag test retail for between 200-220 on the speedmaster website, they can also be had at jegs and amazon. Ill post some pictures up of mine when i get it in on tuesday, but from what ive researched, they are great manifolds for the price if your coming from something worse then the LS6 and dont want to pay the cost of a used LS6 or fast. They also have the advantage of being able to be ported easily since that bottom is removable. The 96mm opening makes it alot more versatile for throttle body options rather then the LS6 as well. No fitment issues to speak of from all the threads I read, and the gaskets have since been updated and can be purchased on amazon.
the op already has an ls6 intake if his car is th 01 in his sig. so a fast is the next step. if someone wanted to upgrade from an ls1 they could just get the dorman ls6 and with a slight port blow most of those intakes out of the water
Old 08-08-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Speaking as an f body owner who progressed from ls6 to 96mm typhoon to fast 102, the typhoon is trash and the only advantage was that it does very well at the recycling yard
Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbird555
the op already has an ls6 intake if his car is th 01 in his sig. so a fast is the next step. if someone wanted to upgrade from an ls1 they could just get the dorman ls6 and with a slight port blow most of those intakes out of the water
I was assuming that the OP already knew about the hot rod test when he decided to choose this manifold, and that he wouldnt have already had an LS6. As far as I know from all of the tests that I read about the dorman ls6, it did not perform as well as the factory LS6 manifold, and has a retail price of over 300 dollars, making the speedmaster/pp typhoon 96mm the better choice. Not claiming its as good as a fast manifold, but considering the price tag, makes it a good investment if you dont want to spend the money for a fast or an LS6 and still have LS6 intake manifold gains. I'd like to see what a ported version of this manifold could put down as well, might make it an even more worthwhile investment if it can pair up close to a ported ls6.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

I was assuming that the OP already knew about the hot rod test when he decided to choose this manifold, and that he wouldnt have already had an LS6. As far as I know from all of the tests that I read about the dorman ls6, it did not perform as well as the factory LS6 manifold, and has a retail price of over 300 dollars, making the speedmaster/pp typhoon 96mm the better choice. Not claiming its as good as a fast manifold, but considering the price tag, makes it a good investment if you dont want to spend the money for a fast or an LS6 and still have LS6 intake manifold gains. I'd like to see what a ported version of this manifold could put down as well, might make it an even more worthwhile investment if it can pair up close to a ported ls6.
It barely outperformed an ls6 on a cammed 6.0.....So it will likely be the same on a stockish motor, its also aluminum which will get HOT sitting on top of an engine and weighs as much as a boat anchor, not to mention many have fitment problems.

The dorman can be found for under 300 at many retailers, it came within 3hp of a facotry ls6 with a smaller tb opening and since it uses a fast lower shell, has the fast "wedges" in the runners. Open up the tb size to the ls6 size and clean up the runners smooth like many have already done and it will outperform the ls6 by a good margin.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

It barely outperformed an ls6 on a cammed 6.0.....So it will likely be the same on a stockish motor, its also aluminum which will get HOT sitting on top of an engine and weighs as much as a boat anchor, not to mention many have fitment problems.

The dorman can be found for under 300 at many retailers, it came within 3hp of a facotry ls6 with a smaller tb opening and since it uses a fast lower shell, has the fast "wedges" in the runners. Open up the tb size to the ls6 size and clean up the runners smooth like many have already done and it will outperform the ls6 by a good margin.
Again, more bullshit about this manifold. Fast 102 weighs 18.4 pounds, the speedmaster comes in at roughly 26 pounds, that's hardly a "boat anchor" difference in weight. Second, jimmyblue already dispelled the myth about "heat soak" on an aluminum intake manifold....

"At WOT you have no "time over target" to heat the air
in. Even if the manifold is "heat soaked". If you want to
cut down on that, run your fans full time like I do.

The fin surface area of your radiator is about 5000 square
inches. The surface area of the manifold runner is about
25 square inches more or less. I figured up that at 500CFM
your air spends under 5 milliseconds in the runner.

I spent some time tonight pulling heat transfer calcs
off the Interwebs, and it looks like an aluminum runner
of our geometry and 100C (212F, hotter than water
jacket if you're smart) will push 68 watts (yeah) of
heat and raise the air temp 1.9 degrees (yeah) along
its length.

Feel free to check my work.

Pro Products had lousy gaskets originally, they gave me
the better ones free for the asking when I bought the
85mm new, and found it had the old style. I had no leak
or fit-up problems.

I port-matched my LS6 heads and the Typhoon ports
to the gaskets they sent me. I didn't dig any deeper
on the intake. But it has a removable bottom plate if
you felt the need.
"

So at the end of the day, you can either have the speedmaster, which performs on average with the LS6 within 1hp, and has a couple horsepower higher in the top end, or you can buy a more expensive dorman LS6, which performs worse, and you have to pay to have it ported properly to see any significant gains over an LS6. When the cheaper speedmaster probably see's similar gains as a ported LS6/dorman for less. No matter how you guys try to stack the odds against this thing because you hate made in china parts, hot rod proved that its a good investment for the budget enthusiast, or you can fork up the cash for a fast.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

for the price of a typhoon just buy a used fast. why would someone buy an intake with known fitment issues. and an aluminum one at that. whether you believe in heat soak or not aluminum intakes will get much hotter and weigh a ton compared to a composite
I agree with this. I wouldn't put that junk on my car.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Again, more bullshit about this manifold. Fast 102 weighs 18.4 pounds, the speedmaster comes in at roughly 26 pounds, that's hardly a "boat anchor" difference in weight. Second, jimmyblue already dispelled the myth about "heat soak" on an aluminum intake manifold....

"At WOT you have no "time over target" to heat the air
in. Even if the manifold is "heat soaked". If you want to
cut down on that, run your fans full time like I do.

The fin surface area of your radiator is about 5000 square
inches. The surface area of the manifold runner is about
25 square inches more or less. I figured up that at 500CFM
your air spends under 5 milliseconds in the runner.

I spent some time tonight pulling heat transfer calcs
off the Interwebs, and it looks like an aluminum runner
of our geometry and 100C (212F, hotter than water
jacket if you're smart) will push 68 watts (yeah) of
heat and raise the air temp 1.9 degrees (yeah) along
its length.

Feel free to check my work.

Pro Products had lousy gaskets originally, they gave me
the better ones free for the asking when I bought the
85mm new, and found it had the old style. I had no leak
or fit-up problems.

I port-matched my LS6 heads and the Typhoon ports
to the gaskets they sent me. I didn't dig any deeper
on the intake. But it has a removable bottom plate if
you felt the need.
"

So at the end of the day, you can either have the speedmaster, which performs on average with the LS6 within 1hp, and has a couple horsepower higher in the top end, or you can buy a more expensive dorman LS6, which performs worse, and you have to pay to have it ported properly to see any significant gains over an LS6. When the cheaper speedmaster probably see's similar gains as a ported LS6/dorman for less. No matter how you guys try to stack the odds against this thing because you hate made in china parts, hot rod proved that its a good investment for the budget enthusiast, or you can fork up the cash for a fast.
Its a boat achor because it weighs 8 lbs more than a 102 but is much smaller physically and doesnt perform anywhere close to one....Thats the textbook definition of a boat anchor lmao.

But ya if you want to go strap on an aluminum intake to your motor that has the qc of chinese drywall be my guest. the rest of us will be looking at your headlights in the rear view.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya thats all well and good go put one on your car and run it down the tarck for a few passes and get back to us....
I'd be happy to, considering im coming from a lesser manifold then an LS6, I know im going to see a significant gain. In fact it will be here on tuesday, i picked it up for 180 dollars brand new in box off ebay, even if it gains me 10hp instead of what hot rod claimed it gained over the LS1, for 180 dollars, i couldnt give two f*cks either way.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its a boat achor because it weighs 8 lbs more than a 102 but is much smaller physically and doesnt perform anywhere close to one....Thats the textbook definition of a boat anchor lmao.

But ya if you want to go strap on an aluminum intake to your motor that has the qc of chinese drywall be my guest. the rest of us will be looking at your headlights in the rear view.
Must have forgotten that you drive a GM car and that damn near everyone of your parts on your car has "Made in Mexico" "Made in Taiwan" and "Made in China" on the label. I laugh at how bitter you guys get at the thought of someone NOT buying a fast manifold.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I dont have a fast manifold anymore, stock gm now... Last time I checked Mexico, and Taiwan werent china, but I never even said made in china cant be a good thing. I just said typhoon and chinese intakes usually suck and thats just a fact of life. Dont be so sore about buying a paperweight.

Mentality like that and going the "easy" way out are why cammed fbodys trap 113 nowadays.

Quick Reply: Opinions on this 96mm intake