Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found unplugged connector near coil pack. Where it goes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found unplugged connector near coil pack. Where it goes?

Hey all,
Just opened the hood to check around and found a connector that was unplugged. Driver's side and comes off the same harness as the big white connector in the center of the coil packs. I checked the passenger side and did not see the same connector. Any idea where this goes?. I provided an picture. Its the small disconnected white plug to the right. Thanks guys.

Car and mods in sig below.
Attached Thumbnails Found unplugged connector near coil pack. Where it goes?-img_20150807_161500977.jpg  

Last edited by black sky; 08-07-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Part of the AIR system I believe... or it goes to the OPSU
Old 08-07-2015, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes ^^^

That went to the air pump solenoid the was mounted on the intake manifold.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan
Yes ^^^

That went to the air pump solenoid the was mounted on the intake manifold.
Thanks for helping out.. Recently had heads and fast 92 intake installed and ended up finding this connector unplugged. Is it not needed now? Thanks again for all who answered.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Correct, there was a solenoid there that controls when the air pump comes on and off. Once you remove the system from the car you can get rid of the solenoid and the vacuum line that runs to the back of the intake.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Correct, there was a solenoid there that controls when the air pump comes on and off. Once you remove the system from the car you can get rid of the solenoid and the vacuum line that runs to the back of the intake.
Thanks again. Car has been having some problems as of late and I'm just trying to rule out some simple things I see. The car is having idle issues and electrical issues. Not sure if they are related.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Check all the PCV hoses from the rear of the driver side rocker cover to the rear of the pass side rocker cover to the throttle body. Most of the rubber hose will develop cracks or holes and then you have a vacuum leak, that will cause Idle problems. What other electrical problems are you having ?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check all the PCV hoses from the rear of the driver side rocker cover to the rear of the pass side rocker cover to the throttle body. Most of the rubber hose will develop cracks or holes and then you have a vacuum leak, that will cause Idle problems. What other electrical problems are you having ?
There was a split in the pcv elbow that connects to the intake. Possibly my vaccuum leak. I replaced the elbow with a small piece of 3/8 fuel line. The only problem is...the electrical problem I've been having is causing frequent starting problems. Like right now. Since the car won't start, it's hard to tell if my idle issue is from the pcv vacuum leak or idle relearn from disconnecting the battery while troubleshooting the electrical problem. I apologize ahead of time because describing this electrical problem will be long. Might try to take a video of what's going on also after I explain. I will post another reply with what happens in order. I keep thinking vats but some things make me think differently. Thanks for the help conan.

Last edited by black sky; 08-08-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

1. Key in ignition, turned to on position. All dash lights and guages come up fine. Can hear fuel pump prime
2. Turn key to crank, one big click. Guages fall back down, all dash lights turn off
3. Not often but yellow security light flickers then goes back off
4. Red Seat belt warning stays lit but flickers sometimes
5. Turn key back to off. Fast clicking sound from glove box, fast clicking from engine bay relay box, red LED top of dash flickering on an off. Try cranking again, NO fuel pump prime noise. No nothing.
6. Remove key from ignition. After 3 seconds the rpm/speedo needles bounce all over the place. Still have a weird flickering door open chime sound. Red dash led flashes normally.
7. Rear view mirror lights work with door open and key out.
8. Get out of car, close door. Reopen door and immediately hear fast clicking near glove box, dash red led flickering fast.
9. Reinsert key. Turn backwards to accessory position. Turn radio on. Antenna extends up, radio controls work but no sound and flickering clock.
10. Disconnect battery for one hour
11. Reconnect battery. Sometimes it fires up just fine. Sometimes all guages and dash lights come, but same no start click when cranked over. Also sometimes absolutely nothing happens when cranked. Just the seatbelt light comes on and flickers. Then more of the same as what I wrote above.

Last edited by black sky; 08-08-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do some research on the VATS system. Also I would load test the battery to make sure it's strong enough to turn over the starter. Clean your terminals if you haven't already, check the wiring at the starter. Also check all your grounds, there are a few of them on the back of the heads and one over on the driver side of the block.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do some research on the VATS system. Also I would load test the battery to make sure it's strong enough to turn over the starter. Clean your terminals if you haven't already, check the wiring at the starter. Also check all your grounds, there are a few of them on the back of the heads and one over on the driver side of the block.
Earlier today i did clean the terminals up and brought the battery in to get load tested and it was fine. My voltmeter shows 12.6v connected and 14.5v with engine running. I did get it to start a few hours ago and drove it around. It does seem to idle much better now since i put a new hose on. Smoother and quieter. I'm thinking a vacuum leak was Def part of the problem. Thanks for the input. Well see if it starts in the morning or later tonight. If not, I will look into the things you suggested. I appreciate you sticking with me and helping.

Last edited by black sky; 08-08-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

No problem. Good to hear it idles better now that the PCV is fixed. Let us know if the electrical gremlins continue.

Quick Reply: Found unplugged connector near coil pack. Where it goes?