Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side header ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Driver side header ASAP!

I cant get this damn thing in. Anyone got any advice? Thanks.
-JOSH
Old 06-07-2004, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Did you take the steering knuckle off? If not take that off and it should slide right in. Hope that helps

Dan
Old 06-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by soldier6552
I cant get this damn thing in. Anyone got any advice? Thanks.
-JOSH
How high up in the air do you have the car? I had to insert a 4x4 chunk of wood in between the jack and car to get it up on the highest jackstand rung. Once the car was high enough the header could stand up on it's collector end (on the floor) and manuvering became possible.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the driver's side header.. You need to disconnect the steering shaft and turn it up allowing the header to slip past it.

Once you have the header in, the shaft should slide right past it back into position..

Good luck..
Old 06-07-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

cut the tab off the block, should go right in.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

None of those things are getting in the way, its the oil pan and the control arm (i think thats what it is called) that are too close together to allow it to fit. Any ideas on this?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by soldier6552
None of those things are getting in the way, its the oil pan and the control arm (i think thats what it is called) that are too close together to allow it to fit. Any ideas on this?
Dude, I don't want to sound like a broken record here but I had what sounds like the same frustrations that you are describing. So, can you stand the header up right on the floor, that is with the collector opening flat on the ground, exhaust port end pointing straight up- that is under the car- You do have the Oil fliter and breather off too? I think the only reason why some people- no offense here- end up cutting the block tab is for this reason-that is the car is not high enough off the ground.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:44 PM

Take off the tranny crossmember and push the tranny over untill you see god and have someone slide the header in
Old 06-07-2004, 06:08 PM

Get the car high enough to have the header straight up and down, It should slide right in. Nothing had to be removed to get my driver side in.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only had to remove my oil filter...that was to get the stock manifold/cat assembly out. I did not have to take the oil diverter or steering shaft off. I also took out all but the #1 plug...I slid the header in and rested the flange on the plug (dont do it unless you intend to replace plugs) and was then able to go up top and start the bolts. Really only took me about 15-20 minutes to get the headers up, in, and all the bolts started once the K member was notched. The majority of that time was the driver's side...

Also, I had my headers wrapped in the foam wrapping material when I installed them so I wouldnt scratch them...you may want to do this if you test fit them and see that the K member needs notching.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

I put in my kooks on a hoist 2 weeks ago and took off nothing,plugs,oil filter,or diverter.I stood the header straight up and down and it went right in place,I didn't believe it either.I started the back bolts on each side and then lowered the car,I then notched the back bolt hole of the GM gasket to fit over the back bolts and started the rest,piece of cake.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

After taking off the alternator, motor mount and oil filter it finally went up inside. I AM DONE!!!! All I need to do now is get the motor mount reallined and bolted down but everthing else is totally finished. Haven been able to crank it up yet but damn... Im already happy with it. Once I get the motor mount bolted down i'll let it rip. Thanks again to all the guys who provided help and especially to the once who helped me on AIM. I couldnt have done it without LS1tech, I appreciate it fellas.
-JOSH