Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smallest legal? Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smallest legal? Mufflers

The other day someone got pretty upset when I passed them. So upset the cops were called, I meet a very nice ISP officer he said he loved the sound but wrote me a little warning about no mufflers. He wrote down the specific chapter etc etc so I could look it up and read on it. From my take it doesn't matter what it is, it just has to have mufflers of some type. So anyone recommend me a descent set of small mufflers I can just attach to the end of my x pipe? I really don't want anything like a glass pack lol. I was thinking these little dyno max ones seem alright maybe put a turn down on them?
Attached Thumbnails Smallest legal? Mufflers-photo516.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Those are the ones I run. Not that part number but you know.little Stainless "mufflers" for $25 bucks. Like a sore peter can't beat it!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

From my take it doesn't matter what it is, it just has to have mufflers of some type.
Not exactly how it works, just because there's a little bulge in the pipe and someone calls it a "muffler" does not make it legal. All states have some sort of decibel limit on what the max exhaust volume can be, and if I'm not mistaken most states even go as far as saying that anything that alters the volume over stock is illegal.

Now some of those rules are lackadaisical in their use and not always enforced, but technically if someone wanted to get you in trouble and called the cops on you even with those mini-mufflers on you most likely will be illegal. With LTs and no cats it's going to be tough to get something in there that's truly legal. Your best bet is to get a super quiet muffler or even the stock ones and just put in some electric cutouts. That way when you want to be loud you can but if a cop pulls you over you can close the cutouts and be as quiet as stock so they would have nothing to hold against you.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Those are the ones I run. Not that part number but you know.little Stainless "mufflers" for $25 bucks. Like a sore peter can't beat it!
You like them, they don't make it get stupid do they? Well http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/9/19/8 this is all I've found and it really open as far as what it means to me
Old 08-31-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually I found some longer ones of the same type. I think I may yank the x pipe off and have my local exhaust shop cut the tube and weld them in and throw turn downs on the end. I'll get a clip when it's done
Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

I have the 9inch long ones. Yeah I like them for the price. Quiet it down I doubt it lol.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

I'm running those mini bullets. Sounds Nasty!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"legal' is fairly quiet. The stock '04 GTO was engineered just 1 db below the legal limit. Most performance mufflers can sound reasonable at reasonable throttle but like said with LTs and !cats they can still sound very nasty at WOT. I have Borla Pro XS which are one of the quietest performance mufflers (and near the top for power) and they still take modulating the loud pedal (gas) to not scream. IMHO you can be too loud. It's like a loudmouth in a bar. Everybody notices him but nobody is impressed.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

isnt it cheaper and less of a hassle to have a shop make some custom mufflers?

or there must some kind of standard mufflers shops use to quiet things down?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

I have the same ones maybe 6"? Straight off the headers. You can imagine it's loud.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well there was no information on db I could find, I just want to be able to if I'm pulled over again to say I have mufflers honestly. So probably going to do what I said earlier thanks for any and all help though guys
Old 09-01-2015, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah sounds like your state is similar to MO. Says Mufflers! I have some and don't get messed with to much.

Quick Reply: Smallest legal? Mufflers