Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP 1 7/8 rubbing grinding issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TSP 1 7/8 rubbing grinding issue

I put the other thread in the wrong section by mistake. mods can delete the other one.

i installed these headers a few days ago on my 99 SS. everything went well no issues other than dealing with the TSP ory. both passenger and driver side headers are rubbing on a part of the K member? can this just be grinded down? has anyone else had his issue? i am still running stock motor mounts.

Last edited by 8hnpSS; 09-20-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our headers are designed to tuck up as tightly as possible for the best ground clearance. We have found that GM's tolerance on the k-member is a little large as we have had several cars without any rubbing issues and have had a number of cars that did touch like what you are showing. The header has not changed. It's just due to the tolerances from GM. Also, saggy/worn motor mounts will accentuate the problem even more. Most people grind the lip back on the k-member. I personally had one vehicle that went in without any clearance issues and another that I'm doing now where I had to grind it back just a little even after installing poly motor mounts and the car has never been in an accident. The other method people use is to slightly dimple the primary tube if you do not wish to trim the k-member.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Teching In

thanks for the fast reply. i will just trim it back. the motor mounts were in good shape which is why i did not change them out. wish i did at this point. i was just wondering if other people had this problem. other than that great product i have no complaints about it
Old 09-18-2015, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If they are orginal 16 year old motor mounts they are sagging a bit. Mine fit fine with poly mounts. But like stated GM is not perfect.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
But like stated GM is not perfect.
did i read that right or do i need to go buy hooked on phonics
Old 09-19-2015, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
We have found that GM's tolerance on the k-member is a little large as we have had several cars without any rubbing issues and have had a number of cars that did touch like what you are showing. The header has not changed. It's just due to the tolerances from GM.

Lonnie
As a tool & die maker working in automotive metal stamping for a long time I can telly you that there are plenty of loosely dimensioned non critical areas on stampings along with multiple stampings getting welded together this should be expected.
With all the manufacturing variables it would be nearly impossible to control this along with idea of "it's better to have & not need than need & not have" theory meaning if the stamping was short material it and possibly an entire welded k member could end up scrap.
Also I'd bet tat the K members were made by a part supplier not GM & suppliers are a lot less likely to scrap parts they think will work even if they're out.

Last edited by axe murderer; 10-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Great reason to get an aftermarket k member!!! Your headers will fit, lose 30+ lbs and car will be a lot easier to work on. Look around for a deal
Old 09-27-2015, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Great reason to get an aftermarket k member!!! Your headers will fit, lose 30+ lbs and car will be a lot easier to work on. Look around for a deal
yea ive already been thinking of that also. hopefully by next summer. ive already chopped up my stock k member so they fit now but id like to clean it up
Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

I also had the same issue. I installed brand new motor mounts when I installed my freshly built 383 stroker. I ended up trimming the K-member flange a bit, and will probably trim just a little more once the car gets back from paint.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine did the same

Ended up changing to poly motor mounts and seemed to help some. Passenger side was still "rubbing" so tore it out and ground some of the "top" of the k-member to get more clearance and seemed to help.

Driver side I ground right where yours are rubbing and have had zero problems.

Thought it was just me with these and was not happy
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Somewhat common issue but really not a big deal at all. Like others have mentioned before a lot of things can contribute to this.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:17 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Completely normal. All you're grinding off is extra material that serves no purpose. I did the same with mine.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8hnpSS
I put the other thread in the wrong section by mistake. mods can delete the other one.

i installed these headers a few days ago on my 99 SS. everything went well no issues other than dealing with the TSP ory. both passenger and driver side headers are rubbing on a part of the K member? can this just be grinded down? has anyone else had his issue? i am still running stock motor mounts.

We got the same issue but it was worse.

Had to really grind off that section until it almost took out the round area for the 1 7/8 to slid in and it still is close. Hope it won't touch when we start the car as we can't butcher the k member no more....

Now for the Y pipe fun as the car is still up in the air for 3 days trying to figure how to make it clear the undercarriage and fit together. And how to lineup the stock I pipe!
Old 10-12-2015, 04:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Good luck with y-pipe... mine was a nightmare and still is. I "trimmed" some off my ipipe that was already aftermarket just to get it to be driving. The y would never line up all around and had to move and adjust one side more than other to get it to connect together. I have some pics if it will help on computer at home.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by klinznilk
Good luck with y-pipe... mine was a nightmare and still is. I "trimmed" some off my ipipe that was already aftermarket just to get it to be driving. The y would never line up all around and had to move and adjust one side more than other to get it to connect together. I have some pics if it will help on computer at home.
After much frustration and agony...

I ended up making the Y merge work with the stock catback I pipe to it's stock location without cutting the I.

What I managed to do was.

1. Disconnect the catback and pull it back.

2. Assembled the Y along with the merge minus the driver side L shaped pipe that connects to the merge.

3. Slided back the I pipe with the muffler assembly over the merge outlet.

4. Mounted the muffler henge on both sides (wich surprisingly got to its original position).

5. Lined up the L shaped pipe that wasn't attached from the bottom and eye balled it. Noticed that I could make it work if I cut about 2 inches from the small pipe that attaches to the driver side header (the shortest one). Mark and cut accordingly.

6. Took everything out again

7. Assembled the entire Y losely.

8. Slided the stock catback over it and attached it's brackets.

9. Clock the pipes accordingly and tighten them.

10. Set back and enjoy a keg of beer after cussing TSP for 4 days lol (sorry).

All in all it was a tight fit and thankfully it cleared without hitting anything so far.

it's a good setup for what it's worth.

Ps. Cleared about 20 different speed bumps as we tested it on Stock ride height.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
That's the route I took after grinding the stocker and it still hitting with poly mounts! Now I've loads of room, just need to tweek the driver side some more to stop it catching on speed bumps, thought I had it tight until I installed the I-pipe/exhaust and it pulled it back down again. Think having that bracket/hanger like the stock piece would help?

Quick Reply: TSP 1 7/8 rubbing grinding issue