General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with creaking sound from rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with creaking sound from rear

I’ve done a bunch of thread searching and work on my 2002 Firebird Formula and I still can’t resolve a creaking noise from the rear. It has 26k miles and sat for most of the last 10 years. Everything is OEM.

Ive applied Blaster Silicon Lubricant to the sway bar end links and sway bar mounts to the rear end, I’ve also applied it to the lower control arms. I tried getting to the upper spring seats but not sure how effective that was without removing the springs.

The creaking occurs when the car settles after braking or a bump.

My understanding is that shocks go bad more with usage than with time, so I don’t think it’s the shocks.

i still feel like it could be the springs. Are they known for creaking and if so is it more likely the upper/lower seats or the 22 year old springs themselves?

What else should I check?

Old 05-05-2024, 12:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I don't think the springs themselves are the creaking noise.

I have a bit of similar squeaking/creaking as well (low speeds, when the rear settles) with my 19k mile '98 Z28. At first it was only in cold weather (like ~40-50°), but now it's starting to do it a bit in just "cool" temps (~50-60°). It's usually the sway bar bushings that cause this, at least that's what several other folks with low mileage original cars have reported finding. Could be the control arm bushings as well. The lubricant alone might not be enough, replacement is likely going to be necessary. I haven't bothered to replace/address mine yet because the noise is still very minor in my case. But if yours is pretty constant then I could see wanting to do something about it.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't think the springs themselves are the creaking noise.

I have a bit of similar squeaking/creaking as well (low speeds, when the rear settles) with my 19k mile '98 Z28. At first it was only in cold weather (like ~40-50°), but now it's starting to do it a bit in just "cool" temps (~50-60°). It's usually the sway bar bushings that cause this, at least that's what several other folks with low mileage original cars have reported finding. Could be the control arm bushings as well. The lubricant alone might not be enough, replacement is likely going to be necessary. I haven't bothered to replace/address mine yet because the noise is still very minor in my case. But if yours is pretty constant then I could see wanting to do something about it.
Thanks for the response. Right now I just want the car to feel like it would have in 2002 and I don't remember those kind of noises on my '99 or '02 Z28s when I bought them new, or my stock '00 WS6 a few years ago for that matter.

I'll probably go ahead and replace the bushings.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 333 Likes on 305 Posts

I expect the bushings will do it. At this age (no matter the mileage) the rubber has become brittle and hard.

I came across some interesting reading regarding AT-205 Reseal and claims that it restores plasticizers and resolves this type of problem. (I said it was interesting - I have not found any proper scientific information regarding these claims and am not bought in.) There are YouTube videos of people using the product to restore car bushings.

I need to replace bushings on my truck and will be doing it the old fashioned way. Even if there was a magic product like this, I expect that it doesn't penetrate all the way into the bushing and the result is a band-aid, at best. However, using something like this might be a good way to fully diagnose that bushings are the source of a creak.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wssix99
I expect the bushings will do it. At this age (no matter the mileage) the rubber has become brittle and hard.

I came across some interesting reading regarding AT-205 Reseal and claims that it restores plasticizers and resolves this type of problem. (I said it was interesting - I have not found any proper scientific information regarding these claims and am not bought in.) There are YouTube videos of people using the product to restore car bushings.

I need to replace bushings on my truck and will be doing it the old fashioned way. Even if there was a magic product like this, I expect that it doesn't penetrate all the way into the bushing and the result is a band-aid, at best. However, using something like this might be a good way to fully diagnose that bushings are the source of a creak.
Yes, if nothing else, it sounds like this product would help to pinpoint exactly which bushing(s) need to be replaced. But there could be several, so it might still be trial and error.

I have not heard of the product, but I'm "interested" now too. It might work better in an application where the busing is just starting to deteriorate - might get quite a few more years out of it if the product actually works. I'll have to read a bit more into it...
Old 05-06-2024, 08:06 PM
Save the manuals!

My reading was going well and then I came across a Scotty Kilmer video on the subject, which gave me pause and reason to do more reading...
Old 05-07-2024, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 227 Likes on 187 Posts

how much rubber in the rear ...lets count
rubber isolators on top of springs
rubber bushings top and bottom of shocks
rubber in panhard bar
rubber sway bushes
rubber bushes LCA

pick one start from there
The following 2 users liked this post by sjsingle1:
jybravo70 (05-08-2024), wssix99 (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I have poly bushings all over Sara (2001 Z28), and I have "squeaking" sounds when going over dust on the road. She always talks to me this way, I love it, we tool down the road of life singing with each other.

Me 10 years ago
Old 05-07-2024, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts

Like RPM WS6 in post #5, my 2002 WS6 squeaks when the weather is cold. My car started squeaking about 10 yrs ago. The Scotty Kilmer video was very interesting. That AT-205 RE-SEAL that he recommends is available on Amazon. It might be worth a try. We're already into hot weather here in the Houston area so I won't know if the AT-205 works until next winter.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Yeah, I'm thinking about giving that AT-205 a try as well. If anyone has already used it, it'd be great to hear some results.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by SteveC
I have poly bushings all over Sara (2001 Z28), and I have "squeaking" sounds when going over dust on the road. She always talks to me this way, I love it, we tool down the road of life singing with each other.
I knew some girls whos' father worked all sorts of systems so they wouldn't use the back seat of their car for funny business. (Make sure they only drove 2-seaters, any back seats were removed, etc.)

Maybe these old rear bushings, (if loud enough) set off by back seat movements, could be marketed as birth control devices?
Old 05-07-2024, 05:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Yeah, I'm thinking about giving that AT-205 a try as well. If anyone has already used it, it'd be great to hear some results.
I also came across this product, but it looks like people use it mainly for printer parts and small rubber rollers. I haven't seen anyone using it on larger car parts:
https://mgchemicals.com/products/ele.../rubber-renue/
Old 05-07-2024, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wssix99
i knew some girls whos' father worked all sorts of systems so they wouldn't use the back seat of their car for funny business. (make sure they only drove 2-seaters, any back seats were removed, etc.)

maybe these old rear bushings, (if loud enough) set off by back seat movements, could be marketed as birth control devices?
lol
The following users liked this post:
2ToeRacing (05-23-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dannyual777
Like RPM WS6 in post #5, my 2002 WS6 squeaks when the weather is cold. My car started squeaking about 10 yrs ago. The Scotty Kilmer video was very interesting. That AT-205 RE-SEAL that he recommends is available on Amazon. It might be worth a try. We're already into hot weather here in the Houston area so I won't know if the AT-205 works until next winter.
I picked up some AT-205 reseal yesterday and will be hitting the sway bar end links, D bracket bushings on the rear end and the control arms later today. I'll let it sit overnight and report results tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:42 AM
Save the manuals!

I'm looking forward to hearing how this turns out!
Old 05-12-2024, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to know as well.

BTW, I drove my WS6 yesterday and noticed the creaking sound coming from the rear even though the weather here is warm. In other words, my car's creaking is getting worse. Hopefully the AT-205 works out for General Jack!
General Jack (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately the noises remain. It may have taken the edge off but definitely still there. I didn't disassemble the components when I sprayed, but I did spray liberally. Front and rear LCA bushings, and sway bar ends links and rear axle attachments.

Looks like I'm going to just replace the bushings at this point.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a bummer that the AT-205 didn't cure the creaking. General, thank you for letting us know.
General Jack (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Man, i must be one of the lucky ones... My 99 formula WS6 makes no suspension noises... I recently changed out both front/rear sway bars, end links to Strano's... about to do complete suspension. I have owned more of these 4th gen fbods than i can keep up with. MOST have their creaks,pops, clunks...
Old 05-19-2024, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good news. Creaking sounds while driving, and particularly, when rebounding from low speed brake squat, are GONE.

Since using AT-205 reseal last week the only additional thing I did was remove the rear springs and apply Blaster Silicon Lubricant to the tops of the rubber spring seats and the bottom spring seat. I did that yesterday.

So what made the change? Could either be the 1) lubricant on the spring seats, 2) the AT 205 reseal having a week to really seep in and soften the bushings up, or 3) driving the car to let all of the lubricants work there way through the movements.

I actually didn't drive the car last weekend when I reported in, I was just pushing down on the car while sitting still. There is still a little bit of that noise (body motion while car is still) but the noises while driving have been eliminated. So I'd definitely recommend Blaster Silicon Lubricant, AT205 reseal and driving the car a little to help solve squeaking/creaking noises from the rear.

My Formula now drives almost identical to how my old z28s did when I bought them brand new. Smooth and quiet.

Quick Reply: Help with creaking sound from rear