Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running rough after FAST 92/92 install

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Running rough after FAST 92/92 install

I installed a FAST 92mm Intake and FAST 92mm throttle body last week and something about the car doesn't seem right. Idle is okay (sounds slightly different) and it cruises okay at speed but it seems very shaky when accelerating. It's a 6-speed and the stick vibrates like crazy even at 1/3 throttle.

1999 Trans Am
It's mainly stock. Upgrades are high flow air lid, Edelbrock shorty headers, GMMG catback, ported MAF, EGR and secondary AIR removed and tuned out. Car had a dyno tune 2 years ago before the FAST intake/TB install

I installed the LS6 04+ valley pan to eliminate the PCV during the install with 2 new knock sensors and wiring harness since it was hard as plastic
I also installed Holley LS valve covers and new LS3 ignition coils
All hoses looked to be in good condition on the back so I don't think they're causing a vacuum leak
It doesn't seem like the throttle blade is catching like I've read in some forums. TPS is at 0 when idling
I took some carb cleaner and sprayed it around the different seals to see if the idle would jump up (never did) so I think the Intake has a good seal and the TB has a good seal.
I have an OBD2 gauge installed and I'm getting 0 misfires
I'm also reading 0 knock retard
The car doesn't smell rich at all.

Do I possibly need to do a retune?

On the positive side it does look cool.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated
Old 11-15-2015, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I did mine I didn't get one of the coil packs plugged all the way on and i had similar issues
Old 11-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

I went out there and checked them at the coil and plug. They're all clicked all the way on.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

it may just need the tune tweaked slightly for that new setup but I wouldn't think it would cause problem that your seeing as in shaking wise.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I tried a few more things. I unplugged the MAF. It ran the same. I also tried the AC. The vent change works fine but when the AC is on at idle, it gets very rough. RPMs jump around from 1000-700. With the AC off, the idle is pretty solid, just doesn't sound quite right.

Running out of ideas.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...just checking to make sure because you didn't specifically mention it, but you did replace the valley bolts with the low profile bolts included with the FAST intake, right?

I did a FAST 92mm intake swap with a Nick Williams 92 TB and didn't have any issues. It ran fine on the tune that it had when I did the swap and I couldn't tell any difference in the way it ran after I did go and have it retuned...but the dyno showed the difference

Did you do the PCM relearn prodedure after you installed the FAST? If not, I'd start there...
Old 11-15-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can absolutely say it started right after the intake/TB then ignore me, but I will ask if you have checked the engine & transmission mounts?

Also, during this "dyno tune" did they just tune WOT?
Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
...just checking to make sure because you didn't specifically mention it, but you did replace the valley bolts with the low profile bolts included with the FAST intake, right?

I did a FAST 92mm intake swap with a Nick Williams 92 TB and didn't have any issues. It ran fine on the tune that it had when I did the swap and I couldn't tell any difference in the way it ran after I did go and have it retuned...but the dyno showed the difference

Did you do the PCM relearn prodedure after you installed the FAST? If not, I'd start there...

Yep, I did replace the valley bolts that came with the intake. No I didn't see a PCM relearn procedure in the instructions. I did do a IAC one the throttle body spoke of. Is there another one?
Old 11-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
If you can absolutely say it started right after the intake/TB then ignore me, but I will ask if you have checked the engine & transmission mounts?

Also, during this "dyno tune" did they just tune WOT?
Yeah it started right after I swapped all the parts. I'm thinking vacuum leak but can't find one. I was also thinking maybe I got a defective ignition coil or cracked a spark plug but I would think I'd detect misfire on my OBD2 gauge.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

If it were me I would sell the FAST TB and get a Nick Williams TB. The IAC holes are way too small on the FAST TB.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
If it were me I would sell the FAST TB and get a Nick Williams TB. The IAC holes are way too small on the FAST TB.

I've been reading that on a lot of threads. Wish I knew that before I bought the FAST TB. I ordered up a 92mm Nick Williams TB that'll be in tomorrow. Definitely worth a try and it looks pretty awesome too. The port for the airline on the fast sticks up on an angle. The TB looks good but the rubber line sticking way up and curving down towards the valve cover looks terrible.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99TransAmDude
I've been reading that on a lot of threads. Wish I knew that before I bought the FAST TB. I ordered up a 92mm Nick Williams TB that'll be in tomorrow. Definitely worth a try and it looks pretty awesome too. The port for the airline on the fast sticks up on an angle. The TB looks good but the rubber line sticking way up and curving down towards the valve cover looks terrible.
Good deal. Shouldn't be too hard to sell the FAST in the classifieds here.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a FAST TB on my car & at an idle it does have a bit of side-to-side action at idle but no odd shaking at 1/3 throttle like you are having OP. I was told it has an LS9 cam when I bought it, & depending on the specs of the cam you have it may be quite different.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

I did find a potential problem when pulling the FAST TB off. I didn't realize the screws for the IAC and TPS were different length. I had the longer ones holding the IAC in and it seems like the bottomed out before the IAC was flush. I did spray starting fluid around it though and the idle never changed so it might've had a seal.

Got the Black 92mm Nick Williams in today. Fits a bit better around my braided coolant vent hose and it definitely idles better. It's rock solid with the AC on. Storming all day so can't test drive till tomorrow or Thursday.

Looks pretty cool

FYI...the MSD fuel rails are not fuel rails, they are just the covers but it covers up the stock rails and wiring pretty nicely.

Name:  DSC_0333_zpszjkv8bvt.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  328.9 KB

Last edited by 99TransAmDude; 11-17-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

I have a FAST TB on my car & at an idle it does have a bit of side-to-side action at idle but no odd shaking at 1/3 throttle like you are having OP. I was told it has an LS9 cam when I bought it, & depending on the specs of the cam you have it may be quite different.
Still the stock cam but that will hopefully change this coming spring when I get more money. How do you like the LS9 cam?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Providing it is what is, it's not too bad. I was told it had LS2 injectors but it has 42lbers... So take it for what it's worth.

It has some lope, but not excessive. Like I said, the car has a little side-to-side boogy going on which I don't mind. Throttle response with the current tune isn't too bad. It doesn't start to really wind up till about 4,500RPM, but it's no slouch down low either. Pulls 18"HG at idle.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Something is still off even with the Nick Williams TB. It idles better but still accelerates like crap. No power and sounds strange. I'm taking it in to a performance shop that did work for me in the past since I'm out of ideas. Appointment set for tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Curious to see what the prognosis will be.

But can I ask why you went with that big TB & intake right away on a stock cammed/ heads motor? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a bit of overkill?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

But can I ask why you went with that big TB & intake right away on a stock cammed/ heads motor? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a bit of overkill?

I have plans for doing a Cam as well but wont have the money for a while (sort of wish I took the money and did the cam first). I was thinking the same that it was a bit overkill but I've seen a lot of articles of people who did the same switch and picked up 15hp or more on a stock motor. I got a good deal on the intake and figured it would look cool.

Talking to the shop on the phone he says it's possible the MAF is reading a much larger volume of air than what it can adjust for. I guess that makes since why it idles fine since it's just getting air through the IAC but once the throttle blade opens it goes to hell. Hopefully they can fix it with a tune. I should know today and will post the results.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Not going from the LS1 intake.

Quick Reply: Running rough after FAST 92/92 install