Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Exhaust, Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual Exhaust, Is it worth it?

My current exhaust set up is my sig. I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth while for me to change to a true dual exhaust. If so, is it possible to get the pipes run all the way out the back or not? I haven't seen a dual set up run out the back, thats why I am asking. If I do change, what would you recomend for mufflers, and x-pipe?
Old 06-11-2004, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

It is worth. I have Jet Hot long tubes, H pipe and Magnaflow 4x9 oval mufflers(part # 11229 3" in/out) and I love it. I get people giving me the thumbs up and stopping me so they can check out my exhaust all the time.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

no doubt its worth it. i've had mine for 3 weeks now and just the sound improvement is worth it, not to mention gained power
Old 06-11-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

**** anything is better than what you have now. That 80 series muffler is crap, its chokin' your car. So to answer your question, yes, True Duals are worth it, and yes, it is possible to have it run out the back. You can do over the axle (very custom) or under the axle. The over the axle set-up is going to be way harder to do then just having dumps or going under the axle, but it looks the best. Going under the axle provides less ground clearance but looks good in the end. Having it dumped before the axle is easiest and cheapest. It can get a little drony inside the cabin, but on the outside it sounds bad-*** . Between the three, it just depends on your budget and who you have to fab the system. Hope that helps
Old 06-11-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Hell yeah true duals is way better than the 80 series chokemaster we have. I would do bullet's or chambered muffler's.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

there is no power gain on a 400hp car over a free flowing 3" catback, magnaflow, slp, hooker....etc. none. A bit different torque curve, but not much at all.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

has anyone done true duals all the way to the back i like the CME a lot and want to keep it if so what kind of $ did they spend getting it made
Old 06-12-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

well calculate the pipe diameter and you will see. true dual 2.5" is larger than single 3", but not by too much. It is all about fllow area and not about the number of pipes. you can get 2.5" dual, but unless you've got a serious engine, you don't need 3" dual
Old 06-12-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

The main thing I have noticed since going to true duals is how many compliments I get. At the parts store, gas station, driving down the road. It almost draws too much attention, everybody always says,, damn that sounds good you should now do this, this this, etc, etc.... Kinda gets old but its nice knowing that it sounds good.