Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Ebay 92mm throttlebody?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best Ebay 92mm throttlebody?

Anyone with a 92 Ebay throttlebody know the best one that is least likely to have an issue? I'm having a ported Fast 92 intake setup installed in April and need a TB to match. Please don't bring up Nick William or PTM or whoever else because I refuse to get gouged for a few extra hundred dollars because someone put their name on it for what amounts to a metal disc sitting inside another metal tube.

The setup would be with an 85mm MAF with the adapter for a 98 Z28.

Thanks for any info!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There's more to the Nick Williams TB's than just a name. You're paying for a quality piece that's going to do what it should, be easy to tune, and drive great in lower RPM situations. I've been seeing lately where certain tuners won't tune cars that run the ebay TB's. There are a few threads out there regarding what needed to be modified or fixed on the ebay onesto make them work better.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
There's more to the Nick Williams TB's than just a name. You're paying for a quality piece that's going to do what it should, be easy to tune, and drive great in lower RPM situations. I've been seeing lately where certain tuners won't tune cars that run the ebay TB's. There are a few threads out there regarding what needed to be modified or fixed on the ebay onesto make them work better.
+1 dont waste your money do it right the first time. I have a Fast 92 on mine now and havent had a single issue with it you get what you pay for.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Warr Performance is the one to get, no modification needed!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I have a ebay 102 tb on my car. There is a little trick to making it work......but no tuning was needed after that trick
Old 03-17-2016, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Warr Performance is the one to get, no modification needed!
Thanks. It looks like their listings are only for their 102s atm but I've emailed them about listing more 92s.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

So you spend top dollar on a MMS/Fast top end but want to finish it off with a Ebay throttle body??
Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Whisper
Thanks. It looks like their listings are only for their 102s atm but I've emailed them about listing more 92s.
I did a lil research before I bought mine last summer & a lot recommended them so that's what I got. No issues!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I did a lil research before I bought mine last summer & a lot recommended them so that's what I got. No issues!
Your tuner had no issues getting everything, even the low RPM driving, dialed in using this TB? So right out of the box, this TB works perfect? I had never heard of the Warr Performance TB's before. I just know that people have had a lot of issues with the Ebay TB's, and many of them can be fixed to work good, but it requires some modifications.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I am still flabbergasted at the prices of dumbass TBs. They cost more than a lot of carburetors which have a lot more intricate castings, moving parts, and more assembly.

Luckily I got a good cheap one from Ballistic Speed before they went out of business or whatever happened to them. $150 and works great.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I am still flabbergasted at the prices of dumbass TBs. They cost more than a lot of carburetors which have a lot more intricate castings, moving parts, and more assembly.

Luckily I got a good cheap one from Ballistic Speed before they went out of business or whatever happened to them. $150 and works great.
Agreed, insane how much they charge for the older mechanical TB's for these cars, 5-600 dollars for a FAST tb when a comparable Professional products TB of the same size or similar works just fine for 1/2 that. Been using PP stuff for years now hassle free. It's one thing if your putting ebay turbos or injectors on your car, but a tb? It's a plate on a lever. If your ebay one doesnt work right, send it back or throw it out and you dont feel bad.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Your tuner had no issues getting everything, even the low RPM driving, dialed in using this TB? So right out of the box, this TB works perfect? I had never heard of the Warr Performance TB's before. I just know that people have had a lot of issues with the Ebay TB's, and many of them can be fixed to work good, but it requires some modifications.
Yep, when I said "no issues" that means I didn't have to modify, grind, drill a lil hole in the throttle plate for it to work & no my tuner didn't say "well this chinese TB is a problem!"

I understand that guys that bought these TBs have had to modify them to work, & because theres sooo many selling these cheap TBs its hard to decide who to buy from. I paid $120 & 0 issues!

I like how people wanna compare builds when they got chinese parts on their own cars lol!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, when I said "no issues" that means I didn't have to modify, grind, drill a lil hole in the throttle plate for it to work & no my tuner didn't say "well this chinese TB is a problem!"

I understand that guys that bought these TBs have had to modify them to work, & because theres sooo many selling these cheap TBs its hard to decide who to buy from. I paid $120 & 0 issues!

I like how people wanna compare builds when they got chinese parts on their own cars lol!
Thanks for the helpful information!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

Yea the prices are stupid. That's why i did a ebay one.

According to my logic if you change the tb and you then need idle tuning that there is a problem wuth the tb......not the tuning.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:53 PM
8 Second Club

I used an ebay unit on an ls3 intake manifold in a turbo setup that ran 8s.

Out of precaution I opened up the IAC opening and ported it smooth. I had to modify the IAC sensor mounting hole to accept an ls1 sensor. Not sure if other sensors are available in a smaller diameter.

Was 1-2 of work in total. Only tool used was a die grinder with a nice carbide on it.

Good to hear there are better options out there now.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

So just to make sure, the Warr Performance 102mm TB (4 bolt) will bolt right up to a FAST 102mm intake? They also sell an all black TB, but it's more money.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

So just to make sure, the Warr Performance 102mm TB (4 bolt) will bolt right up to a FAST 102mm intake? They also sell an all black TB, but it's more money.
I'd say yes! The one I bought is 92 mm, bolted on an LS3 intake. I do remember my tuner saying he adjusted my throttle cable as it was only opening 3/4 at wot. But I also have a conversion bracket for throttle cable but no mods were needed to the TB.
Name:  20150801_210947_zpsnkoshc6p.jpg
Views: 8059
Size:  117.8 KB

Last edited by flintwrench69; 03-18-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol i like how people like to act like a "nick williams" throttle body is anything more then a ported tb. We were doing ported tb's in my buddies basement 8 years ago with knife edge finishes and precision tapers on his mill and lathe. Just like the pat g cams being nothing more then a guy behind a computer coming up with profiles for people.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
Anyone with a 92 Ebay throttlebody know the best one that is least likely to have an issue? I'm having a ported Fast 92 intake setup installed in April and need a TB to match. Please don't bring up Nick William or PTM or whoever else because I refuse to get gouged for a few extra hundred dollars because someone put their name on it for what amounts to a metal disc sitting inside another metal tube.

The setup would be with an 85mm MAF with the adapter for a 98 Z28.

Thanks for any info!
I have a Nick Williams 92 and it works flawlessly. No tuning or operating problems. Its more than just a name and worth the price. Some things you dont cut corners on!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
lol i like how people like to act like a "nick williams" throttle body is anything more then a ported tb. We were doing ported tb's in my buddies basement 8 years ago with knife edge finishes and precision tapers on his mill and lathe. Just like the pat g cams being nothing more then a guy behind a computer coming up with profiles for people.
The NW TB is proven...that's all. I see no reason to go budget on a damn TB when no budget was spared in the rest of the build. jmo

Quick Reply: Best Ebay 92mm throttlebody?