Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for feedback from owners of Hooker Blackheart True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking for feedback from owners of Hooker Blackheart True Duals

Some of you have been running the Blackheart TD exhaust for a while now, and I was curious to hear your feedback. How is the sound quality and volume both in and outside of the car now that it's broken in and you've had some more experience with it. Any issues with the system? Still happy with the purchase and product?

I'm throwing up this post in the hopes of obtaining some longer-term feedback before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone is getting mighty itchy........LOL
Old 05-18-2016, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone certainly is Been watching it since you brought it to my attention last year, and funds are finally in place. I just have a few hangups on it, mainly 1) the lack of cats (which speaking with an owner, he felt there were locations where a bullet cat could be fit if needed), and 2) I still struggle with those tips. I could probably figure out something there too - I have a couple of ideas.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just this morning I also put up a post looking for this exact same answer. In my case I am looking at the option with the stock manifolds but either way there are so few sound clips out there with this new system I am having a really hard time forming an opinion about the sound.

The set up looks perfect and certainly looks quality but all of the sound clips even with headers sound really quiet and I just can't tell if that is the recordings or if it is just a more subtle sounding exhaust.

(personally I am comparing it to the Loudmouth 1)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's one thing I have struggled with as well. I don't mind the stock SS exhaust too much - if this was a little louder, that'd be fine by me, but something like the LM1 is too loud for my taste. I'm having trouble comparing the BH exhaust to something like the SS/Ws6 exhaust (which, I believe, is slightly louder than the standard Z28 exhaust).
Old 05-18-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I like mine, it's on the level of volume of a non-catted 3" y-pipe with a 3" magnaflow catback, maybe a little quieter. But the sound is obviously better. Don't ask for a sound clip, I won't provide one lol...
Old 05-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well you don't need to post a clip but have you had it near any stock(ish) cars you could make a comparison to that we could use as an indicator? Such as how did it compare to any of the SRT's or the Fifth Gen Camaros, the new Mustangs, stock Vettes and so on?

Is it louder, deeper tone, better at idle or open throttle etc?

In other words if you felt it was much louder than your neighbors mostly stock Challenger that should give everyone a baseline that we can find a comparison for locally.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I like mine, it's on the level of volume of a non-catted 3" y-pipe with a 3" magnaflow catback, maybe a little quieter. But the sound is obviously better. Don't ask for a sound clip, I won't provide one lol...
Hmmm - the Magnaflow is usually referred to as being just as quiet as the stock system...I'm not familiar with how much of an impact the ORY would add to the mix, but still seems that would be basically as quiet as stock?
Old 05-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

I've noticed their are a couple of buyer/user reviews over on Summit's website for the system that may be helpful.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I hate to say it, my experience is likely not what you're looking for. My car has a HCI 383, so it's not something I'd know how to compare with a stock SRT8. But based on what I saw with the kit, someone could get creative to replace the Hooker mufflers with something a little more straight through for a louder effect... maybe like a Magnaflow 14419 bullet
Old 05-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

I've had mine installed for just over a month now so I'll give you a little review.

Mine is the 50 state legal version as I haven't installed my headers yet and I needed to do something with the exhaust so I've got stock exhaust manifolds and cats in place.
I thought the install would be very simple, being a bolt together system, but I was mistaken and didn't read the fine print. On the 98-99 cars you have to cut the stock Y pipe off the passenger side cat and weld the cat back system in place there. You also need to drill a 3/4" hole and weld in the O2 bung for the rear O2 sensor on that side. So, be aware if you are going with the 50 state legal version and have a 98-99 car.
With the stock exhaust manifolds and cats in place it is fairly quiet but has a good tone. I am installing headers soon and would prefer it to be a little louder so that will take care of that.
The kit is super high quality for the price, everything fits great and even the hangers seem to be very sturdy. No leaks anywhere that I have found. I do have a slight rattle on cold start with the heat shield in that back I haven't taken a look at yet but definitely not a big deal.
I researched for quite a while before settling on this system and cant think of anything better for the money unless you want to dump it before the axle. I'll upload a short clip in a few.

Last edited by JustinZ; 05-18-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Video
Old 05-18-2016, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

That sounds nice JustinZ!!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You looking for a stock car review or for a cammed car review ?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Either really. This year the exhaust will consume my budget, however, the plan is currently to put in a small cam like an EPS 222/226 or similar in a year or two.

I should have specified too - I'd be doing the full setup with the Hooker midlengths.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

I have the kooks true dual exhaust system... I wonder is there a big horsepower difference between the hooker system compared to the kooks true dual exhaust system.... the hooker setup looks like it's well worth the money.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If I didn't already have LT's ORY and a cat back I would put one of these systems in no doubt.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have "liked" a few sound clips on YouTube. Keep in mind, some of these are the catback mated to LTs.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks JustinZ, that is exactly what I needed to know. It does sound great and I love the tips you went with.

Of course it isn't what I wanted to hear as I am looking for a much louder set up as I do not intend to go to headers etc. anytime in the future. So I guess it will be Y-Pipe and Loudmouth I for me.

I was able to find a lot of those YouTube clips but the overpass one was very helpful and I'll admit I am a bit disappointed such a nice system isn't going to fill my needs. But I am never disappointed in this site, thanks for the help everyone.

Atrus_SS I hope you find the best set up for your needs as well.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Mine is the silver TA one. As for the power i made more threw this exhaust set up than i did with my 3in slp cat back, not much though like 11hp more and 13tq but then again i have a bigger motor and cam. Idk what it will be if it was stock ls1 single 3in vs the Hooker system . For the price you really cant go wrong . I'm loving my ground clearance though. Im dropped on bilsteins and pro kit.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I have the kooks true dual exhaust system... I wonder is there a big horsepower difference between the hooker system compared to the kooks true dual exhaust system.... the hooker setup looks like it's well worth the money.
I would guess the power difference isn't really seen until you start to get up there. Here is a cool video motor trend did the other day about that.

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback from owners of Hooker Blackheart True Duals