Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone w/ LT's HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Everyone w/ LT's HELP!

Got my QTP catted y and LT's yesterday...i feel like a little kid in a toy store now, just wanna get them on asap. I posted some last minute threads and threads a while ago and they are totally diff. When i was trying to find out info about lts before i bought them it sounded good and i'd be fine...but now that i have them i'm finding out that i need this and that and that my car will probably run like crap unless i get it tuned. What is the deal guys? I'm dieing to get these things on my car...but at the same time i wont have the money to tune it until the end of summer. As for money for O2 simms that i just found out i would need....I DONT HAVE ANY LEFT, i was told edit will also eliminate the need to get simms b/c i can just turn those two sensors in the y pipe off.....i have the extensions for the 2 in the Lt's so thast not a problem. Is driving the car w/ the O2 sensors from the ypipe not connected gonna hurt anything till i can afford edit? As you can see i'm crazy confused and i need to be set straight from all you guys w/ experience....whats the deal..i'm pullin my hair out now!?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, you can install everything and use the normal o2 sensors, but you will get a SES light, because the computer will think that you have cats and they are not working right. it shouldnt hurt anything i dont think, someone correct me if im wrong. worst case scenario, just buy some used ones from someone on here, go for the for sale section, they go pretty cheap (thats where i got mine). as far as tuning, you could benefit from it but it shouldnt run too bad, maybe a little rich or lean but tunes are expensive, id wait until you have more mods to do that (like heads/cam/etc). my car needed a tune after the LT's but i havent gotten one yet, im waiting until after a cam (besides, the spray likes it a little rich ).
Old 06-17-2004, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

You DEFINATELY need either edit or O2 simms to run your car. No rear O2s will throw a code immediately. You need to find a way to get the $80 to get the simms.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turo
well, you can install everything and use the normal o2 sensors, but you will get a SES light, because the computer will think that you have cats and they are not working right. it shouldnt hurt anything i dont think, someone correct me if im wrong. worst case scenario, just buy some used ones from someone on here, go for the for sale section, they go pretty cheap (thats where i got mine)
Ur o2 simms? Ok i will try that...i already set an ses light a month ago when removed air and egr. That doesnt bother me. I just dont wanna do any damage to the car by doin the install of the LT's and then not having simms right away or being able to do the edit immediatly.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any other experience w/ this?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Maybe I am confused now.....you are going from 4 O2 sensors to 2 O2 sensors. How are you going to use the original 2 O2 sensors when there is no where to install them?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

There should be bungs in the headers themselves to attach the O2s that matter.
The second set (post cat), don't effect drivability. It will just set off the SES light. That said, you still should tune a/f with an editor after a header install.

Tommy
Old 06-17-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Got my QTP catted y and LT's yesterday...i feel like a little kid in a toy store now, just wanna get them on asap. I posted some last minute threads and threads a while ago and they are totally diff. When i was trying to find out info about lts before i bought them it sounded good and i'd be fine...but now that i have them i'm finding out that i need this and that and that my car will probably run like crap unless i get it tuned. What is the deal guys? I'm dieing to get these things on my car...but at the same time i wont have the money to tune it until the end of summer. As for money for O2 simms that i just found out i would need....I DONT HAVE ANY LEFT, i was told edit will also eliminate the need to get simms b/c i can just turn those two sensors in the y pipe off.....i have the extensions for the 2 in the Lt's so thast not a problem. Is driving the car w/ the O2 sensors from the ypipe not connected gonna hurt anything till i can afford edit? As you can see i'm crazy confused and i need to be set straight from all you guys w/ experience....whats the deal..i'm pullin my hair out now!?
1. Technically, you do not need o2 simulators ever, you would just have to deal with an SES light that will never go away. The SES light for !CATS, !AIR, !EGR, will not hurt performance or harm your car.

2. As far as tuning, you do not NEED it right away. Your car will probably run a little rich, but nothing a stock tune can't handle. However, you won't get the full benefits of LT's until your car is tuned.

In a nutshell, don't pull your hair out, go ahead and install the LT's. The things you mentioned can wait. Enjoy.....

Last edited by Camaro SS 2002; 06-17-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro SS 2002
1. Technically, you do not need o2 simulators ever, you would just have to deal with an SES light that will never go away. The SES light for !CATS, !AIR, !EGR, will not hurt performance or harm your car.

2. As far as tuning, you do not NEED it right away. Your car will probably run a little rich, but nothing a stock tune can't handle. However, you won't get the full benefits of LT's until your car is tuned.

In a nutshell, don't pull your hair out, go ahead and install the LT's. The things you mentioned can wait. Enjoy.....
Thanks i'm gonna do the install this weekend and i'll let you all know what happens, if i dont get the o2 simms for the rear sensors..what do i do w/ them..do they unplug or should i just tie them up somewhere under the car? Also yes the Lt's have bungs for the front two sensors, thats not a problem, its the ones that go in the y-pipe after the cat that i dont know what to do w/. Thanks for all the help guys.