Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Bypass Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Bypass Test

So, I got myself a TB Bypass. I heard that it would make a world of difference. Well, here is my own opinion...

GET ONE.

A world of difference? No. A noticeable perf. increase? Yes. Don't get this small mod confused with a big power mod...it isn't. Claims are 6-8 rwhp. Will you feel this hp increase? No, not really. However, you will notice an increased throttle response, especially after driving for awhile. If installed correctly, you should feel a harder pull.

Overall opinion...get one. It is a an extremely cheap mod for all LS1's, and worth the roll of quarters you have been saving for a rainey day!
Old 07-08-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

quarters I got one too and didn't notice a thing other than the TB always being cool to the touch. I love it!
Old 07-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Launching!

what did you pay for it and where/
Old 07-08-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

People pay for that. I thought that was a semi-free mod.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

All you have to do is buy 2' of hose (I forgot the diameter), and a couple of clamps. It's less than $4 for the supplies at your local hardware store. Then, just take off the hose that runs from your throttle body to the block, and the other one that runs from the TB to the radiator. Just run the 2' of hose from the radiator to the block, and clamp the ends down. Done deal. I didn't even bother capping off the throttle body lines, since I don't intend to ever put it back the way it was. You won't feel this mod hp wise, but you will notice the difference in temperature simply by touching the throttle body.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lock down
go here www.bmrfabrication.com they are one of our sponsors. I payed around $15 for the kit. Installation takes about 10 minutes or 12 minutes if you are completely mechanically inept.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

I had the laptop hooked up to my car this last weekend (checking for a TCS malfunction and to get the code) and watching intake temps and it stayed around 86 degress for 30 minutes of driving on a 80+ degree day. Only when I stopped for 10 minutes did it rise to 105 degrees but it went down quickly after I started driving.

My point (if it is one???) "does this really affect performance and give you upto a 4HP gain" ???

I have the ram air so that may be part of the reason too. Just a thought...
Old 07-09-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Performance gains are slight if really any. Install University says a possible 2-3 HPs. I'm willing to bet against that even. This isn't a HP mod. More of a improved function mod.

Justin
Old 07-09-2004, 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ddelallata
quarters I got one too and didn't notice a thing other than the TB always being cool to the touch. I love it!
Thats odd that you did not see any change. As everyone knows it is a small (And yes, practically free mod!) and you will not notice a big gain but you should notice some, not so much in hp but in response. I have read good reports on the net and known people personally who have did this and noticed gains, on both LT1's and LS1's.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1
Performance gains are slight if really any. Install University says a possible 2-3 HPs. I'm willing to bet against that even. This isn't a HP mod. More of a improved function mod.

Justin
Right, right...don't do it just for the hp, do it for throttle.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ActionJack
I had the laptop hooked up to my car this last weekend (checking for a TCS malfunction and to get the code) and watching intake temps and it stayed around 86 degress for 30 minutes of driving on a 80+ degree day. Only when I stopped for 10 minutes did it rise to 105 degrees but it went down quickly after I started driving.

My point (if it is one???) "does this really affect performance and give you upto a 4HP gain" ???

I have the ram air so that may be part of the reason too. Just a thought...
Possibly. As someone else stated, they read that it was a 2-3 hp gain, whereas I read 6-8, so the numbers are kinda' iffy. I do recommend this though.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lock down
Just go to your local hardware store. You actually don't have to add the extra hose if you don't want. If you do not it looks as if the line is going to hit the pulley, but it won't- tightness keeps it elevated from the pulley. If you don't feel safe doing that, run the extra hose.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The mod helps fight detonation as well.
Every little bit helps on our 'ping prone' engines.
Dave
Old 07-09-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

A few different moderators of popular LS1 message boards said this mod is useless. Moderators are knowledgeable people, I think it's interesting how peoples opinions can completely differ.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

only way to tell is to do back-to-back pulls on a dyno (after letting the tb cool down). but who would spend $75 for dyno time for this. and 1-2 hp can be lot's of other things. but a filter can give 1-2 hp that you won't feel, but how come nobody questions if it works or not....as much as questioning this mod...and this mod is cheaper too.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

In my case the coolant running through the TB actually helps cool it, since it's attached to a hot Holley aluminum intake.

This mod won't help you at all performance wise, but for folks with composite intakes (LSX, LS6, LS1) it's nice to be able to touch the TB after a long drive, I guess... Also makes removal/reinstall of the TB much easier - no fiddling with coolant lines.

The incoming air is moving through the TB at something like 100mph. Is it really believed that it will pick up even 2-3 degrees of ambient heat passing through a roughly 3"x3" TB at ~100mph ? Further, what decrease in performance are we expecting from 2-3 degree temp difference in incoming air ? Most places I've been the regular outdoor temp varies 10 or so degrees from morning to noon... Maybe we should all be racing/dynoing in the middle of the night, watch out for those nasty daytime air temps...

Bad30th
Old 07-09-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

ORGINALLY POSTED BY COLONEL

"Not possible. Just look at what it does....not much of anything. This is, in my book, one of those do it or don't do it...doesn't really matter mods.

Ok, so we have 200 degree coolant that simply runs through a 1" long piece of tubing at the bottom of the TB. How much is this 200 degree water going to effect a TB that is attached to an intake manifold that is probably about the same temperature? Not much. The air coming through the TB (at about 200 MPH) is about 50-175 degrees depending on the weather and usage. Let's say, just for arguement, that the TB is 150 degrees when the bypass is done and 200 degree when it's not. Consider the size of the TB in relation to the size of the intake manifold and heads. How much can a 50 degree TB difference really make in the temperature of the air entering the combustion chanmber? I'd say practically none. ALMOST...none. Ain't much. Next to zero. Don't count on it. Immeasurable. Ok, sorry, too much coffee this morning. And do you really think that this mod will cool the TB 50 degrees? What if the coolant is 175 degrees (160 degree coolant thermostat and proper fan settings) and the intake manifold/underhood environment is 200 degrees.......Hmmm, sounds like the coolant might actually be COOLING the TB rather than heating it up!

Anyway, no, there will not be an SES light from doing this mod."
Old 07-10-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro SS 2002
A few different moderators of popular LS1 message boards said this mod is useless. Moderators are knowledgeable people, I think it's interesting how peoples opinions can completely differ.
I don't know a whole lot, but some things I do know:
1) A few moderators are very knowledgeable.
2) Alot of mods are kiss-asses that got the title from being on their chosen board way too much.
3) Everyone on the board is human, no matter how much they know.
4) This mod helped my problem with detonation (ping).
5) With computer controls, less ping means more timing, therefore, more power.
6) Colonel posted that the water might actually be cooling the TB...
Now, I personally get much from Colonel's posts and think he is on the top of the knowledgeable list, but he does ignore the fact that the TB is super hot before the mod and cool to the touch after the mod, so I have to disagree with him on this. I also don't think he has looked at it from the detonation/KR angle either. That is what has me sold on the mod.
My .02
Dave
Old 07-10-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ratio411
I don't know a whole lot, but some things I do know:
1) A few moderators are very knowledgeable.
2) Alot of mods are kiss-asses that got the title from being on their chosen board way too much.
3) Everyone on the board is human, no matter how much they know.
4) This mod helped my problem with detonation (ping).
5) With computer controls, less ping means more timing, therefore, more power.
6) Colonel posted that the water might actually be cooling the TB...
Now, I personally get much from Colonel's posts and think he is on the top of the knowledgeable list, but he does ignore the fact that the TB is super hot before the mod and cool to the touch after the mod, so I have to disagree with him on this. I also don't think he has looked at it from the detonation/KR angle either. That is what has me sold on the mod.
My .02
Dave
Sweet reponse!

Anways, my .02... Probably useless? Would I do it if I were not too lazy to go to the store and figure out what to buy? Yep. Would I do it if I lived in a place that got cold very often, HELL NO. The point behind the coolant is to keep the TB from icing up.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

also, wouldn't the heat from the TB transfer onto the intake if it's not an LS6 intake? so lowering the temp of the TB should help.