Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this PCV setup work? - Already searched

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this PCV setup work? - Already searched

Hey guys,

I already searched extensively. Have a hard time understanding some of this PCV stuff. I am getting oil in throttle body from passenger from hose. Also some in intake from PCV. Have constructed fuel filters and makeshift catch cans and all that stuff.

I am going to get an Accurate Machine Works PCV catch can. I understnad the hook up for the PCV to intake.

However, I have heard conflicting stuff on the hose from passenger front to throttle body. Would it be ok to go from throttle body, T into the intake of catch can, and T out of catch can back to valve cover? I figure if you went in this direction, you are keeping the flow in the intended direction.

Is there problems with the setup? Any suggestions for the passenger front to throttle body?

Thanks ( I did search first)
Old 07-21-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good luck with my AMW can.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Launching!

cool, but will this work for the other hose?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've wondered that same thing. I wonder if that hose could just be pulled off and cap the throttle body and the head and let the PCV do the work. Anyone ever do this? I know that noone is running 2 AMW cans, and if that 2nd hose is a problem, what is the solution?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

I'm no expert on PCV by any means but I wouldn't do it. Here is my reasoning: The line going into the TB has no valves of any sort, the air going in the tb is putting a constant vacuum on the valve cover. If the pcv hose is hooked up to this, that same vacuum will be aplied to that hose. I would think it is possible that this constant vaccumm could damage the pcv valve. Just my .02. Hopefully this will get some more informed people thinking...
Old 07-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Launching!

JL ws-6: I don't think capping the throttle body is the way to go. That is what supplies fresh air to crankcase(in my understanding)

calongo_SS: I don't think we are on the same page. The line from the throttle body flows from the throttle body to the valve cover, no the other way around(I think) It has no vacuum because it is in front of the throttle body plate.

I think the PCV line for the intake get vaccum from the intake. So in turn, maybe a small vacuum is created on the throttle body line, to complete the in out cycle of air for crankcase.

Ideas?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by General Z
JL ws-6: I don't think capping the throttle body is the way to go. That is what supplies fresh air to crankcase(in my understanding)

calongo_SS: I don't think we are on the same page. The line from the throttle body flows from the throttle body to the valve cover, no the other way around(I think) It has no vacuum because it is in front of the throttle body plate.

I think the PCV line for the intake get vaccum from the intake. So in turn, maybe a small vacuum is created on the throttle body line, to complete the in out cycle of air for crankcase.

Ideas?
I agree, do not mess with the line that goes from the TB to the valve cover, it does provide air to the crankcase. It has no vacume on it… it is not on the intake side, it’s before the TB blade… other then what General Z said about the "cycle of air for crankcase"

The fact is you will not be able to fix the oil problem unless you install an ls6 pcv system "valley cover" block grinding + intake removable

A catch can will stop the oil from getting in to the intake but will not fix the problem with the ls1 pcv system.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Launching!

I am pretty leery of doing the ls6 valley cover. Griinding on my block is not real appealing. LOL. I am cool with the catch can part, just need a solution for the throttle body hose. It is bringing oil into throttle body. Not a lot, but nonetheless.......

Anybody actually done anything with this hose?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

JL ws-6:

Ideas?
Yeah, i was off, wasn't thinking of where the hose went relative to the TB blade. Not many ideas here short of an additional catch can.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:56 AM
Race your car!

O.K, capping off the line at the head is a bad idea, I'll agree. What abou capping the throttle body, and put a small breather filter on the line coming from the head? There woul still be a clean air supply to the crankcase that way. The ls6 pcv, is that on the 2001/2002 cars? They came with the ls6 intake, I assume the pan under the intake is also the same, yes?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

I ditched all the old plastic piping from the OEM PCV system and replaced it with 3/8ths fuel hose.

I used 2 hoses... one from each fresh air tube on the passenger valve cover and connected them together with a brass T. Then I ran a hose from the T to the fresh air tube on the TB (tube on top before the throttle blade).

Then I ran a hose from the PCV valve to the top of the AMW can. And a hose from the side of the can to the vacuum supply tube on the manifold.

Works great. I wouldnt recommend plugging the fresh air tubes on the passenger valve cover. Doing so would create a closed loop of sorts. The manifold would be sucking air thru the PCV but there would be no fresh air coming into the engine.

My .02 cents
Old 07-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Race your car!

You have a pic of it?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You have a pic of it?
I can get one for you... I dont have a digital camera but my bro does...

My car is getting some exhaust work today, so I can't get a pic till tomorrow. I work with my bro so when I come in tomorrow morning, I'll ask him to snap a couple pics and I'll post them up here.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Fastt Gunn: Did you cap the throttle body then? Also, it sounds like the way you did it reversed the flow of the hose from the throttle body. (doesn't it run from the throttle body to the valve cover, flowing fresh air in that direction?) I thought only the driver and pass. rear were the PCV to intake lines, the other was a fresh air line.

Breather might work, but I have heard people recommend against it. But, it would only be breathing in, esentially the same as breathing through the throttle body, both are not vacuum assisted filter air. Maybe the no recommendations against were for just venting the whoel system, not using vacuum assist for PCV, as in capping intake and throttle body and venting system through a breather. That is a no no.

Thanks guys, more ideas?
Old 07-22-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would not alter the breather tube for the TB to valve cover... also the fact is you should not be getting any oil in that line. "Unless you are not pulling the pressure from the crankcase” this would build up and might blow oil threw that line, this is not normal…

I would also not vent the pcv system... keep it closed.

If you don’t want to install the ls6 pcv system, then I would remove the pcv valve itself and run just normal 3/8 vacuum line to your catch can then run the one from your catch can back to the intake. “Leave everything else the same” this might raise your idle a little because it will always be pulling air but that can be adjust it as needed. I don’t even think you will have a problem with this.

The ls6 motors do not even have a pcv valve, the valve was one of the problem with the ls1… it would allow pressure to build and then rush in to the intake all at once… this carried oil with it. Another reason is that it picks up oil on the drivers side valve cover because the pick up is in the rear of the cover.

One last thing “I’m sure I will get flamed for this but run 5w30 mobile1” "like GM said!"
Old 07-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Fastt Gunn: Did you cap the throttle body then? Also, it sounds like the way you did it reversed the flow of the hose from the throttle body. (doesn't it run from the throttle body to the valve cover, flowing fresh air in that direction?) I thought only the driver and pass. rear were the PCV to intake lines, the other was a fresh air line.

Breather might work, but I have heard people recommend against it. But, it would only be breathing in, esentially the same as breathing through the throttle body, both are not vacuum assisted filter air. Maybe the no recommendations against were for just venting the whoel system, not using vacuum assist for PCV, as in capping intake and throttle body and venting system through a breather. That is a no no.

Thanks guys, more ideas?
No, I didnt cap anything or change the routing. But because I ditched the stock plastic PCV piping for 3/8ths fuel hose (when I upgraded to the LS6 intake), I had to T the 2 nipples on the passenger valve cover together before running a hose from the T to the top tube on the TB.

to recap.... I ran a hose from each nipple on the passenger valve cover and connected them together with a brass T. Then I ran a hose from the T to the top tube on the TB. This is how the engine gets fresh air in. Then I connected a hose to the PCV and connected it to the top of the AMW can. Then run a hose from the fitting on the side of the can to the male fitting on the side of the intake. Thats it. Routing is the same as stock except the can is inline with the PCV and 2 passenger side nipples T together before running to the top tube on the TB.

Hope this helps
Old 07-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Fastt Gunn: You T'd the front and rear passenger valve cover nipples together?

Doesn't the rear one tie in with the rear line from the driver valve cover? These both then go to PCV and to intake. If you used both passenger nipples what did you do with the hose going the throttle body from the front nipple?

dissonance: I do run 5w30 molbil one. I also am going to run a brass reducer fitting from the rear PCV line to the valve cover. This fits perfectly, into the valve cover and the line. Doesn't reduce the size of the line or anything. In essence, it just raises up the line about 1 inch. I think this will really help with oil uptake.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Fastt Gunn: You T'd the front and rear passenger valve cover nipples together?

Doesn't the rear one tie in with the rear line from the driver valve cover? These both then go to PCV and to intake. If you used both passenger nipples what did you do with the hose going the throttle body from the front nipple?

dissonance: I do run 5w30 molbil one. I also am going to run a brass reducer fitting from the rear PCV line to the valve cover. This fits perfectly, into the valve cover and the line. Doesn't reduce the size of the line or anything. In essence, it just raises up the line about 1 inch. I think this will really help with oil uptake.
Here, look at this..... see the brass T there? Thats where I have both passenger side hoses connected together. Then, from the T, a short hose to the top tube on the TB

Old 07-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Ok, I see what you are talking about. But, I guess my question is, isn't the rear passenger nipple part of the PCV pickup, not the inlet?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I see what you are talking about. But, I guess my question is, isn't the rear passenger nipple part of the PCV pickup, not the inlet?
No, there's only one PCV valve. The one hose coming from the PCV should be the only thing connected to the suction side of the intake. Both of those tubes on the passenger side bring in fresh air. It wouldnt make any sense to use that rear tube inline with the PCV... there's no PCV valve connected there.

Fresh air in on the passenger valve cover and bad air out the driver side thru the PCV valve, then to the can, then to the intake.