Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you go with True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did you go with True Duals?

I'm trying to deside what exhaust to get. I've done tons and tons of searching, but have the follow questions that I didn't really find a good answer to.

1. What made you deside to go with true duals instead of something like the gmmg, hooker, magnaflow, loudmouth etc?

2. What exhaust setup did you have before the true duals? (I'm expesially interested if you had the GMMG, and why you changed)

Thanks a ton guys.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monyhunter
I'm trying to deside what exhaust to get. I've done tons and tons of searching, but have the follow questions that I didn't really find a good answer to.

1. What made you deside to go with true duals instead of something like the gmmg, hooker, magnaflow, loudmouth etc?

2. What exhaust setup did you have before the true duals? (I'm expesially interested if you had the GMMG, and why you changed)

Thanks a ton guys.
I went with TDs because if done right, you can build them pretty cheaply. Also, not that many people are running TDs so my car is a little unique in that sense. They also sound amazing. No catback out there can match the sound of my sweet-thunder true duals.

I previous exhaust was the TSP Rumbler. It sounded like **** after adding H/C , LTs, and ORY.

As far as the GMMG goes, I just think its dumb to spend $700 on a catback exhaust. I only spend $200 to build my TDs.. $500 is a pretty penny to save..
Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 PM
dug
Banned

Im thinking about going to duals for sound and power. Whats stopping me is ground clearance and too much noise in the interior. Id be happy with a 4" catback with 3" to 4" ypipe but think theyre a lil overpriced.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

I did my TD for the sound you cannot beat it in my opinion Race people and they look at you like holy ****, when you down shift!!!

I had a LM before my TD and didn't like the rasp of it at all

Dan
Old 10-04-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have that many mods yet but i went from a flowmaster cat-back to true duals that i built and gained .3 @ the track that was good for me
Old 10-04-2004, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

HAD MACS ORY AND LM......raspy as hell and sounded like s)(*t

true duals fixed all that.....

98 ss a4...383 and lots of other mods,,,,
Old 10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Question #1 I decided to go with truduals because of the price compared to the top line cat backs. And which also led me to to futher pursue truduals is because of lots of people telling me that i can't put truduals on my car. I managed to put truduals with tips onto my car.I put 2 flowmaster 40 seiries mufflers with 2.5 inch pipe under the axle. I dislike the flowmasters for performance and had installed dual cutouts.

#2. I decided not to go with the Cat back exahust is because that most of the good ones cost more than a custom trudual setup. I did not want to get a gmmg because its just chamberd mufflers with some piping for 700 dollars.I am sure its a good catback but decided to just go with truduals.

#3 i had a flowmast 80 series muffler onto the stock y pipe. I liked it i only paid 120 for the muffler and installtion and ran it until i got LTs.

Last edited by 9833211; 10-04-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

What is the best muffler to use with true duals? Does anyone have any sound clips of cars with true duals and bullet mufflers? My car currently has dynomax mufflers on it and it sounds alright, but it sounds kind of "pooffy", and I don't like it. The guy I bought the car off of told me that the bullets were unreal loud, but I might have liked it.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.ls1sounds.com
Old 10-04-2004, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

I primarily went with my true duals for the sound. People always tell me it sounds like an old school muscle car. I also went with the duals because I can slide them off and put my header extensions on in less then 15 minutes, which is nice since I have to drive my car about an hour to the track.

BTW: I have a 2.5" X-pipe set up with 12" bullets. The car is so loud on the bottle I'm afraid to hit it on the street since everyone with in atleast a mile radius will hear it.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

It seems everyone who has True Duals or GMMG exhaust is more than happy with it
Old 10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houseofboost
What is the best muffler to use with true duals? Does anyone have any sound clips of cars with true duals and bullet mufflers? My car currently has dynomax mufflers on it and it sounds alright, but it sounds kind of "pooffy", and I don't like it. The guy I bought the car off of told me that the bullets were unreal loud, but I might have liked it.
Loud
Dynomax Bullets
Sweet-Thunders
Moroso Spiral Flos
Flo Pro Twisters

Deep and very quiet inside
Borla XR-1s
Magnaflow
Edelbrock
Dynomax Turbo

I have sound clips of both Borla XR-1s and Sweet-Thunder Chambered mufflers in my signature.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:09 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been thinking of switching my GMMG to a x-pipe with Sweet Thunder mufflers. I could sell my GMMG and still have money left over after the dual install. I won't switch until after I get long tubes though.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by houseofboost

One of my LT1 supercharged Z28's had long tubes, no cats, 500+rwhp and open Borla. That car made ears bleed but sounded like a stock Lexus compared to your Beast when it had bullets.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

sound, price and the midrange power is great!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The real question is why the hell did I blow $600 on a Borla first!?! Well, because no dependable shops around here would make me some w/o cats and no one was offering a TD kit I could install myself at the time (that I was aware of).
I settled for lowered expectations..."it's not what I wanted, but if Borla costs that much, surely it sounds good...right?" Wrong. You can't even compare a Y-pipe system to duals, on any car or truck.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

My car is a YS-Trim 383ci LT1, made 1078hp at 21psi and is currently making 714rwhp at a 15psi. I lost 14rwhp going from bullets to these dynomax mufflers that I don't really care for. However, it was a decision made by the former owner of the car.

Do you think bullets will be too much? I would enjoy the power gain, but would they be too loud? However, I don't know if there is a too loud.

What length of bullet would you guys recommend? I'm not sure what would be the ideal length.

Wes
Old 10-04-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

John!!! Whats up man?

Well, did the car sound "good" when it had bullets on it? Or was it too much? I mean, I don't mind loud, I just want it to sound good. My old white Z28 with the YS-Trim had 4" mufflex with a SpinTech muffler on it and it was much louder than the black T/A.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

sounds better than i-pipe/muffler.
is cheaper
is easier to remove
has more power potential
Old 10-05-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

ttt

thanks.