Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to eliminate cruise control for one wire TB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any way to eliminate cruise control for one wire TB?

I have a 2000 SS with cruise-control. I want to clean up the engine bay and getting the three throttlebody-wires that cross the engine bay are part of my efforts. Is there any way to convert it over to the one-wire style like non cruise-control cars? What I'm really looking for is a write-up. Thanks- Mike W.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a Lokar cable on mine. It is a one cable system that is made just for that.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

depends if you want the cruise to still work or not.
we eliminated it on a car a few weeks ago, took out all the cruise and traction stuff under the hood and ran a non -tcs cable no issues and one cable
Old 10-11-2004, 06:00 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
depends if you want the cruise to still work or not.
we eliminated it on a car a few weeks ago, took out all the cruise and traction stuff under the hood and ran a non -tcs cable no issues and one cable
I did the same thing a few years back. It cleans up the engine bay quite bit and saves around 8lbs. I never used TCS or cruise control anyways!

Jason
Old 10-12-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy ****, 8lbs! The cruise control does not weigh 8 lbs. I'm assuming then that If I delete the cruise control then I lose my ASR as well? Do I have to buy a non-TCS cable? I was hoping I could just use one of the three that already exist.
I'm not happy about losing my cruise control, but I think the looks will make up for it.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SStolen
Holy ****, 8lbs! The cruise control does not weigh 8 lbs. I'm assuming then that If I delete the cruise control then I lose my ASR as well? Do I have to buy a non-TCS cable? I was hoping I could just use one of the three that already exist.
I'm not happy about losing my cruise control, but I think the looks will make up for it.
the cables there wont have the right clip on the to attatch to the TB thats the problem and why you have to get a new one, they wrap around that tcs mod on the right side not really a retaing clip
Old 10-12-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason99T/A
I did the same thing a few years back. It cleans up the engine bay quite bit and saves around 8lbs. I never used TCS or cruise control anyways!

Jason
Can you just unplug everything and remove it? Does the TCS light stay on?

Originally Posted by bcrishon
I put a Lokar cable on mine. It is a one cable system that is made just for that.
Did you just use Lokar's "off the shelf" LS1 cable or did you order a custom length one? How did you adapt it to the stock pedal? I have one of these sitting here in the package, but I haven't yet attempted to work it in...
Old 10-12-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ditto about the TCS light. I just want to remove the old cables and throw on a new non-TCS one from the factory. Is this ok?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:22 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Yes, your TCS light will be on all the time. Just unplug it and go. You will be eliminating cruise control as well. Just purchase a non-TCS throttle cable from GM. It is not hard to install either.

Jason
Old 10-13-2004, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Did you just use Lokar's "off the shelf" LS1 cable or did you order a custom length one? How did you adapt it to the stock pedal? I have one of these sitting here in the package, but I haven't yet attempted to work it in...

I just addapted mine to work to the pedal. Mine is a little different application for mine is in a Jeep Wrangler, but I am sure it will work. It was just the LS1 throttle cable and I cut it to length!! Hope this helps!!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all...I think I might add this to my winter projects list!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a little confused.
1.) If I remove the motor so that I only have ONE-wire running from the peddle to my TB, will this will kill my cruise control and my TCS?
2.) Is the ASR button that I have next to my foglight the same thing as TCS?
3.) Does the ASR or TCS have anything to do with my 4-ch. rearend?
4.) If I remove the TCS, will my 4-channel ABS still work?

5.) What I'm wondering is, I am currently looking at a used Moser with 3-ch. ABS. I have 4-ch. ABS. I was planning on having to convert the 3-ch. to 4-ch. But if I delete the TCS, will that matter anymore?

6.) Does the 4-ch. ABS keep the wheels spinning the same so you don't spin one tire faster, get sideways and smack the wall?
Old 10-14-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Are you guys saying that if you ordered your car with cruise, you also had to get traction control?
Old 10-14-2004, 06:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i dont belive it will affect your abs but the car we took it out of already deleted the abs functionality anyway , youll get lights in the dash not a huge deal, pull bulbs.
no you will not have working cruise control
no the cruise no longer works but never used it much anyway
cruise was stock on all of the cars i belive and the cable w/o asr/tcs(which are the same) will fit fine from the pedal to the tb
cars w/o tcs had another cable from cruise module to the tb so would in turn have two cables on tb
Old 10-14-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

ill be doing this in the next 2 weeks or so.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stang Killer: Were you planning on doing this mod before you read this post?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I answered my own question. I really want to delete this but I didn't want to do it if it was going to mess with my ABS. The TCS is ASR which I disable anyway when I race my car. It is nice when it rains but this car doesn't see rain. So I can delete the three-wire deal and the motor and still retain my ABS system. So my car won't stop itself when I launch but the car wil still not lock the brakes if I stop hard.

One final question is this: Does that motor control the a.) TCS b.) cruise control or c.) both?

The motor is coming out either way. I just want to know according to what badpewter-z said that if I remove it, I can still use two of the three cables to work my throttle and retain my ASR. So eliminating the motor eliminates the cruise control and motor???
Old 10-14-2004, 08:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SStolen
I think I answered my own question. I really want to delete this but I didn't want to do it if it was going to mess with my ABS. The TCS is ASR which I disable anyway when I race my car. It is nice when it rains but this car doesn't see rain. So I can delete the three-wire deal and the motor and still retain my ABS system. So my car won't stop itself when I launch but the car wil still not lock the brakes if I stop hard.

One final question is this: Does that motor control the a.) TCS b.) cruise control or c.) both?

The motor is coming out either way. I just want to know according to what badpewter-z said that if I remove it, I can still use two of the three cables to work my throttle and retain my ASR. So eliminating the motor eliminates the cruise control and motor???
the motor on the pass side is for the tcs , cruise is a control module under the drivers headlight. its a frigging jungle of cables.

from what i can see its delete the cruise and tcs/asr or nothing

keith