Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/LS6 intake gurus inside to clarify an issue please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1/LS6 intake gurus inside to clarify an issue please!!!!!

I had an LS6 intake on my car that I sold to a friend, well he brought his car into a local Oklahoma City f-body shop for his knock sensors to be replaced. They called him this evening and told him that the intake was for a 97-00 Corvette LS1. They told him that an LS6 intake would not fit on the car with LS1 coolant tubes, B.S. They also told him the intake had been modified to accept the cable linkage setup for an f-body instead of electronic throttle linkage. I have seen many LS1 intakes and many LS6 intakes and the underside of the plenum does not lie. The undersides are totally different, where as the LS6 is flat underneath, the LS1 intake is sunken,and wavey, which is less plenum volume. Does an 97-00 corvette LS1 intake have the same plenum volume as an LS6??? I doubt it!!! Please give me you alls imput guys b/c the intake was brand new, and I "know" it was an LS6. Damn I realize why Ok. LS1/LS6's are not on the map, the fastest car is an 396 LS1 with the gas that runs 11.0's NUFF said!!!!!!!! The picture below is an LS1 intake on the left, and an LS6 intake on the right.
Attached Thumbnails LS1/LS6 intake gurus inside to clarify an issue please!!!!!-intakes.jpg  

Last edited by 1BADFNHuggerZ; 10-14-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Also can anyone give me the part number for the intakes.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

I know someone knows the answer to the corvette LS1 intake deal, is the plenum volume the same as an LS6????
Old 10-13-2004, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

I'm sure they're mistaken, if you've seen the bottom of the intake (which I will assume you have because it was off your car when you gave it to him ) then I would think you know the truth.
The LS1 coolant lines will not fit under an LS6 without modifying either the bottom of the intake (the 'grid' area) or the tubes themselves.
I think what tends to confuse people is that the '97-'00 C5 LS1 intakes had no EGR provision in them just as the standard LS6 intakes didn't/don't.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BADFNHuggerZ
I know someone knows the answer to the corvette LS1 intake deal, is the plenum volume the same as an LS6????
No it's not, the Corvette LS1 intake is the same as the F-body one except for the EGR provision and the throttle linkage.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, for the info LS1/LT1. Can you put unbolt the throttle linkage off of the vette and replace it with the cable linkage for the f-body??
Old 10-13-2004, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, for the info LS1/LT1. Can you put unbolt the throttle linkage off of the vette and replace it with the cable linkage for the f-body??
Yes. There is some confusion there because I was once under the impression that the area around the TB was different between the C5 intake and the F-body intake but now I here that they are the same (except for that little TB bracket for the F cars)...I had thought that the C5 version didn't have the little threaded brass inserts but I'm told now that it did/does.
Even if not, they can be added easily.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Would you happen to know the part numbers between the LS1/LS6??
Old 10-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Launching!

it would have to be the casting #'s that he is wanting for that's the only #'s on the intake's. I went to a GM dealership to see what the part number is and they said they have to have the casting #'s and the one on the intake is invalid. doesnt make sense. Also had the GM techs there take a look at it and said that it was a LS1 Vette intake.they took a micrometer measure ' i think thats what they called it' to measure the space between the intake and the top of the engine since it was on the car and said it was a little over inch space, which they said should be less. so we walked over to a camaro that has a LS6 intake on it and it was less then a inch.
Also the LS6's measurements from the bottom of the intake to the top where the gaskets will seal are less then a inch and not a inch like the ls1's right and the LS6 have parrellel lines between each gasket to where the ls1s have X's????? This intake has the brass fittings inserted but they are not all the way in and flush as the aftermarket Ls6's are.

the arrows point to where iam talking abou the X's
Attached Thumbnails LS1/LS6 intake gurus inside to clarify an issue please!!!!!-intakes.jpg  

Last edited by Mstngkiller; 10-13-2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Simple question: Was the bottom of the intake flat or 'wavey' before you put it on the car?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Simple question: Was the bottom of the intake flat or 'wavey' before you put it on the car?
It's flat, I showed him both his intake bottom "wavey" , and the LS6 he bought from me "flat", when it was installed @ my house!!! I have offered to pull the intake off of his car to prove that there is a difference and it's flat underneath. I know there were no LS1 intakes with a flat bottom.

Last edited by 1BADFNHuggerZ; 10-14-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

It's flat, I showed him both his intake bottom "wavey" , and the LS6 he bought from me "flat", when it was installed @ my house!!! I have offered to pull the intake off of his car to prove that there is a difference and it's flat underneath. I know there were no LS1 intakes with a flat bottom.
The solution is to pull the intake off and compare it to the underside pics of the LS1/LS6 intakes. Another thing Mike is failing to mention here is that he is running LS1 coolant lines under the LS6 intake that has not been notched, therefore it is putting pressure, and pushing up on the intake for his detailed measurements.
Let's just pull the f*cking intake off and get this over with once and for all. Also there is a reciept to prove the purchase and what intake it is. THE BOTTOM OF THE INTAKE WILL NOT LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 1BADFNHuggerZ; 10-14-2004 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:19 AM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Forget what the shop said, forget what the dealership said, it's an LS6 intake and that's final!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Forget what the shop said, forget what the dealership said, it's an LS6 intake and that's final!
Thank you, I get a little uptight whenever I know I am right, and someone tries to make me look like an ***.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had an LS6 intake on my car that I sold to a friend, well he brought his car into a local Oklahoma City f-body shop for his knock sensors to be replaced. They called him this evening and told him that the intake was for a 97-00 Corvette LS1. They told him that an LS6 intake would not fit on the car with LS1 coolant tubes, B.S. They also told him the intake had been modified to accept the cable linkage setup for an f-body instead of electronic throttle linkage. I have seen many LS1 intakes and many LS6 intakes and the underside of the plenum does not lie. The undersides are totally different, where as the LS6 is flat underneath, the LS1 intake is sunken,and wavey, which is less plenum volume. Does an 97-00 corvette LS1 intake have the same plenum volume as an LS6??? I doubt it!!! Please give me you alls imput guys b/c the intake was brand new, and I "know" it was an LS6. Damn I realize why Ok. LS1/LS6's are not on the map, the fastest car is an 396 LS1 with the gas that runs 11.0's NUFF said!!!!!!!! The picture below is an LS1 intake on the left, and an LS6 intake on the right.
could you maybe post a bigger pic, theres no way of telling in that picture, who took that picture was it the other shop or you?
Old 10-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hink9
could you maybe post a bigger pic, theres no way of telling in that picture, who took that picture was it the other shop or you?
Hink9 that was example pic from LS1howto of the difference in the two intakes bottoms.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Default Part #

Ok I have worked at GM dealers for 14 years here is how it works. The part no 12556333 is the old part number for the LS1 intake used on the Vette fron 97-00 it changed numbers in 00 to a 12557846 then in 01 to a 88894095. It is NOT an LS6 intake sorry. Everyone thinks that is a casting number it is not if you have dealer contack GM partech they will confirm this is old part number for LS1.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Default LS6 numbers

ok first was 12561184 in 2/00 it changed to 88890523 it then changed to 88890524 then god knowes why back to 88890523 then on 2/02 it changed to 88894339
Old 10-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DAYWALKER_
Ok I have worked at GM dealers for 14 years here is how it works. The part no 12556333 is the old part number for the LS1 intake used on the Vette fron 97-00 it changed numbers in 00 to a 12557846 then in 01 to a 88894095. It is NOT an LS6 intake sorry. Everyone thinks that is a casting number it is not if you have dealer contack GM partech they will confirm this is old part number for LS1.

thats exactly the part number that is on it. i figured when i had more then 7 people telling me that it was a ls1 vs one person telling me it was a ls6.

Last edited by Mstngkiller; 10-14-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Teching In

We did tell him that the the LS1 coolant pipes would not fit under the LS6 intake. Which is exactly what LS1LT1 posted in his first post. Our customer paid us to replace his knock sensors and harness. He brought all the parts himself. We called him to sell him intake gaskets that he didn't bring. He told us thats probably a good idea since he didn't replace them when he swapped intakes. He thought he had a LS6 intake. We went back and looked it over. It was an LS1 intake off of a 97-00 Vette. The intake Was not flat on the bottom, It had LS1 coolant pipes under it, the brass inserts were the throttle cable bracket bolts to were stickin out a 1/8" and had marks like they were beat on with a hammer. It had Part #12556333 stamped on it on top right side of the intake, just above the firing order and between #4 & # 6 injector holes. I called my parts guy. He called GM part tach. This # changed to part # 88894095, which is an intake for 97-00 Corvette.

We did not come on here to bash anybody. But our credability is being damaged. We do not appreciate it.

Quick Reply: LS1/LS6 intake gurus inside to clarify an issue please!!!!!