Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed AIR this weekend. What to do with this part?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 12:53 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Removed AIR this weekend. What to do with this part?

Just installed some race headers.

The driver's side and passenger's side AIR hoses connect/join at a cylinder/drum which hovers over the driver's side coil pack near the firewall. This cylinder/drum connects via a tiny black tube coming from its center to some sort of electrical thing which sits over the coils (forgive my inability to name these parts by their correct terms).
Anyhow, right now, I have all the AIR hoses removed, with that small cylinder still plugged in and everything runs fine. Does this cylinder need to come off?
If so, where do I plug in the small black tube which attaches to it?

TIA.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can either put a screw in the small tube then secure it or attach it to one of the coil pack screws(That is what I did).
Old 10-18-2004, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Just installed some race headers.

The driver's side and passenger's side AIR hoses connect/join at a cylinder/drum which hovers over the driver's side coil pack near the firewall. This cylinder/drum connects via a tiny black tube coming from its center to some sort of electrical thing which sits over the coils (forgive my inability to name these parts by their correct terms).
Anyhow, right now, I have all the AIR hoses removed, with that small cylinder still plugged in and everything runs fine. Does this cylinder need to come off?
If so, where do I plug in the small black tube which attaches to it?

TIA.

I removed the entire cylinder thing and had a tiny hose coming from it so i zip tied it so it was out of the way and plugged it with a screw and haven't had any problems. hope this helps
Old 10-18-2004, 01:00 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many thanks.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:29 PM
8 Second Club

I left mine there and just capped the vacuum line that went to the AIR valve.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Caribe
You can either put a screw in the small tube then secure it or attach it to one of the coil pack screws(That is what I did).
Yeah, just put it on one of the coil pack studs, works great.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm getting ready to pull of the AIR system off my car and I had a question about the little cylinder thing. Does pulling it off affect anything? I'm still running cats, will that cause any problems with the cats? Also there are two lines that come off of the cylinder thing, do I plug up both of them? One of them goes to some sensor and the other goes back behind the manifold.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Launching!

When I did it, I had 2 vacuum lines with nowhere to go... I put screws with some sealer on them. Unfortunately now I cannot switch the HVAC fan to blow anywhere but the floor. There was only supposed to be one leftover line? I am going to have to go back through this and see if I missed a hookup somewhere. Runs fine as is.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thought there are two also but I have read up and everyone says there is only one.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

I'm getting ready to pull of the AIR system off my car and I had a question about the little cylinder thing. Does pulling it off affect anything? I'm still running cats, will that cause any problems with the cats? Also there are two lines that come off of the cylinder thing, do I plug up both of them? One of them goes to some sensor and the other goes back behind the manifold.

Thanks for the help
I was told that they inject air into the cats when you first start the car so they heat up faster. Dunno if that's true.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i didnt have any left over lines??? i did take the whole pump assembly out..
Old 12-21-2004, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Samba242
When I did it, I had 2 vacuum lines with nowhere to go... I put screws with some sealer on them. Unfortunately now I cannot switch the HVAC fan to blow anywhere but the floor. There was only supposed to be one leftover line? I am going to have to go back through this and see if I missed a hookup somewhere. Runs fine as is.
Check the vac hose on the back of the intake on the pass. side, that goes to the HVAC.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

other than startup, Is there any other time that the AIR runs? I know on the older stuff it ran all the time. But this being secondary AIR, how does it work?

Not meant to jack thread.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

hmm i have a question if u dont mine.. when i installed my headers last weekend... i just unplugged it and it is hanging there for now lol, this going to cuase a vacumn leak or any trouble? im intending to take the whole thing out but it is wicked cold here right now so in the meantime can it wait???