Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the Edelbrock setup..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the Edelbrock setup..

Ive been reading into the Edelbrock setup exstensively and it seems like it would be pretty nice for a race car. Im trying to learn everything I can about it. The question is.....wouldnt you also have to swap the tranny for a 350 or 400 if you have an a4? Im saying yes, but no tech articles have indicated whether or not since most testing on this setup has been done on engine dyno. Has anyone even attempted this setup at all lately, I know a guy awhile back bought the manifold but I havent heard from him since. Any new info would be appreciated also!! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by santino04
Ive been reading into the Edelbrock setup exstensively and it seems like it would be pretty nice for a race car. Im trying to learn everything I can about it. The question is.....wouldnt you also have to swap the tranny for a 350 or 400 if you have an a4? Im saying yes, but no tech articles have indicated whether or not since most testing on this setup has been done on engine dyno. Has anyone even attempted this setup at all lately, I know a guy awhile back bought the manifold but I havent heard from him since. Any new info would be appreciated also!! Thanks in advance!
What exactly is the "Edelbrock Setup"? Edelbrock headers + Catback? Intake manifold? Motor?

Since you stated that you might have to swap the tranny, I assume that it has to be a Motor type setup?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Its the new carb setup for the engine. Completely ditching the entire fuel injection and pcm world for a traditional manifold and carb along with a ignition control module to fire the coil packs and work with your sensors. It comes with throttle/trans bracket so Im assuming you need to run a different tranny.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by santino04
Its the new carb setup for the engine. Completely ditching the entire fuel injection and pcm world for a traditional manifold and carb along with a ignition control module to fire the coil packs and work with your sensors. It comes with throttle/trans bracket so Im assuming you need to run a different tranny.

Oh, well they make exhaust 'systems' too. So, I didn't know what 'system' you were talking about.

Not sure why a tranny swap would be needed with an intake swap.

TTT
Old 10-21-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Keenov
Oh, well they make exhaust 'systems' too. So, I didn't know what 'system' you were talking about.

Not sure why a tranny swap would be needed with an intake swap.

TTT
Because with a carb setup, you're not going to have a TPS, MAF, or MAP sensor, all of which a 4L60E uses to determine shift points, line pressure, etc...
Old 10-21-2004, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GeorgeC
Because with a carb setup, you're not going to have a TPS, MAF, or MAP sensor, all of which a 4L60E uses to determine shift points, line pressure, etc...
I didn't think about that, thanks.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Carbureted Manifold Set-Up

You actually have a couple of options. If you are already set-up with a 6-speed than you are good to go. If you have the 4L60E you can buy a stand alone transmission controller that will allow you to control the transmission independently from the factory PCM and some controllers offer you a module to fine tune shift points. This is a costly option that will set you back $1200(+). The second option is to bolt up a TH350 or TH400. The transmission will bolt right on; the only thing missing from the LS1 is one bell housing bolt location, which isn't a big deal. There are two things needed when using the Th350 and/or TH400; a new or redrilled flexplate and an adapter sleeve that spaces the flywheel out to properly align the torque converter with the input shaft of the transmission. All of these are off the shelf and available through Hughes Performance in AZ or Street and Performance.

I can tell you that this is a cool combination. In fact we have one on our LS1 equipped 1974 Camaro R&D car; we being Edelbrock. And you thought we just messed with engine dynos!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:14 AM
Launching!

Well lets go somewhere with this edelbrock, let me see magazine articles on this setup and that ride! Ive read the PHR ARTICLE but i am drooling for more. Some more specifics on the setup, stats, options ...whatever you got. When is this going to be perfected? Thanks for the info!