Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I have to install Edelbrock LT's myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looks like I have to install Edelbrock LT's myself

Well, all of my exhaust stuff finally came in yesterday. I called a local shop to see how much it would be to install JUST the Edelbrock Victor Series Drag Race LT's and remove the AIR, and when the quoted $530 I almost crapped myself. Even though I have never worked on anything on any car, I might have to use one of the faqs and install the headers myself. I was wondering how hard it would be to install without the emissions stuff for a newbie? Also, the rear o2's will be connected to the header right(I think there was a bung for it, but i'm not sure), but where will the front o2 hook up to? BTW, the headers came with o2 extensions.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't hard at all dude..

Make sure you have:
Ramps
Jackstands

-- These are both to gain enough clearance to get the headers in under the car.

The hardest part will be getting all the old crap off of the car.. That's where the spray lubricant (WD40) comes in.

Once you have the old stuff off, it's pretty easy. Make sure that you either reuse your stock header gaskets or buy a new set from the dealer or sponsor.

You will use the O2 extensions to extend the FRONT O2's far enough to reach the O2 bung on the headers. If you're running an ORY and don't have O2 sims, then you will just leave those disconnected.

What all did you receive to install? Also, what part of MS are you from? I'm from Greenwood.

Originally Posted by NightKidWS6
Well, all of my exhaust stuff finally came in yesterday. I called a local shop to see how much it would be to install JUST the Edelbrock Victor Series Drag Race LT's and remove the AIR, and when the quoted $530 I almost crapped myself. Even though I have never worked on anything on any car, I might have to use one of the faqs and install the headers myself. I was wondering how hard it would be to install without the emissions stuff for a newbie? Also, the rear o2's will be connected to the header right(I think there was a bung for it, but i'm not sure), but where will the front o2 hook up to? BTW, the headers came with o2 extensions.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

i also have a question Z28Venom, i plan on installing my headers as well, but i plan on going with a custom Y with interchangable cats and straight pipes(ORY). what will i have to do with the o2 sensors? i plan on keeping them bc i need them for smog, but when i run ORY what will happen, is there nething i need to do for this procedure? or will i have to use o2 sims everytime i run ORY?
Old 10-29-2004, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Well, the headers came with new gaskets(metal ones at that), o2 extensions, and everything else needed(all bolts and everything). I also bought the Flowtech universal x-pipe, so I don't know if the o2 simms I already had will work on those, since they don't seem to have any bungs for them for the rear o2s. Also, I got 2 flowtech cutouts(old school style, no electric ones), 2 18"x3" Sweet Thunder mufflers, and 2 turndowns. Do you know how hard it will be to remove the AIR and install the block off plates. BTW, I'm from a small town called Gauter, which is in the gulf near Gulfport, Biloxi, and Pascagoula.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by emanneercstahp
i also have a question Z28Venom, i plan on installing my headers as well, but i plan on going with a custom Y with interchangable cats and straight pipes(ORY). what will i have to do with the o2 sensors? i plan on keeping them bc i need them for smog, but when i run ORY what will happen, is there nething i need to do for this procedure? or will i have to use o2 sims everytime i run ORY?
You have to keep the Front O2's.. there's no discussion on that one. You can run O2 sims on the rear and just leave them in place. No need to swap in and out rear o2 sensors everytime you swap back in the cats.

When you run your ORY... if you run O2 sims in the rear you won't have an SES.. But you don't have to run O2 sims if you don't mind having the SES light showing.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Well, the headers came with new gaskets(metal ones at that), o2 extensions, and everything else needed(all bolts and everything). I also bought the Flowtech universal x-pipe, so I don't know if the o2 simms I already had will work on those, since they don't seem to have any bungs for them for the rear o2s. Also, I got 2 flowtech cutouts(old school style, no electric ones), 2 18"x3" Sweet Thunder mufflers, and 2 turndowns. Do you know how hard it will be to remove the AIR and install the block off plates. BTW, I'm from a small town called Gauter, which is in the gulf near Gulfport, Biloxi, and Pascagoula.
You don't need bungs for the O2 sims.. You just plug them into the electrical connector and use a tie wrap to mount them somewhere.

As for the rest of your exhaust... x-pipe, cutouts, and turndowns.. Running cutouts on a true dual setup is overkill..

Here's the link to removing the EGR and AIR..
http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70
Old 10-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help, man. The reason I got the cutouts are for when I really want to make some noise. I was kind of afraid that the Sweet Thunders wouldn't be as loud as my gutted loudmouth, so I bought some cutouts for the purpose of just letting the exhaust explode with loudness whenever I need a "loud exhaust" fix. I see you have a Sweet Thunder TDs vid in your sig. How do you like them so far? Is it true that the vids just don't capture the deep, real sound of the setup?
Old 10-29-2004, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help, man. The reason I got the cutouts are for when I really want to make some noise. I was kind of afraid that the Sweet Thunders wouldn't be as loud as my gutted loudmouth, so I bought some cutouts for the purpose of just letting the exhaust explode with loudness whenever I need a "loud exhaust" fix. I see you have a Sweet Thunder TDs vid in your sig. How do you like them so far? Is it true that the vids just don't capture the deep, real sound of the setup?
Trust me.. the sweet-thunders are loud.. Check the video clip in my sig..
Old 10-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

I installed these last weekend with the help of someone with experience and air tools. Getting the stock stuff off wasn't really the hardest part for us. The passenger side went in easy but the driver side required use of force. The bungs they sent you are for the front o2s. They have to be welded in. I don't know why edelbrock did this. Mine came with paper gaskets so we got new metal ones. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98B4CZ28
I installed these last weekend with the help of someone with experience and air tools. Getting the stock stuff off wasn't really the hardest part for us. The passenger side went in easy but the driver side required use of force. The bungs they sent you are for the front o2s. They have to be welded in. I don't know why edelbrock did this. Mine came with paper gaskets so we got new metal ones. Good luck.

Have the codes come back? Did you change the O2s yet?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2xLS1

Have the codes come back? Did you change the O2s yet?
Oh yeah, I also got some codes when I was done even though we deleted AIR, EGR and rear o2s. I can't remember the numbers exactly but I think one was p0153. But, they were slow switching on one side and low voltage in the heater circut (something like that) on the other side. I will try swapping in my rear o2s to see if the o2s were just bad. Post #24 in this link https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/203415-help-what-making-me-go-though-o2-senors.html was interesting and something that I never heard of before.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98B4CZ28
Oh yeah, I also got some codes when I was done even though we deleted AIR, EGR and rear o2s. I can't remember the numbers exactly but I think one was p0153. But, they were slow switching on one side and low voltage in the heater circut (something like that) on the other side. I will try swapping in my rear o2s to see if the o2s were just bad. Post #24 in this link https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203415 was interesting and something that I never heard of before.
Your codes were:
P0135 HO2S Heater Preformance B1S1
P0153 HO2S Slow Response B2S1

I'll check on the Vette O2s later tonight although so far you are not having the P1133 and P1153 problems yet. You could re-coup some of their cost by selling your O2 extensions. Might mention that these O2s may have 160K miles on them too.