Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much clearance at your lowest exhaust point? 4 fingers w/TSP ORY here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much clearance at your lowest exhaust point? 4 fingers w/TSP ORY here.

Just had shop install Pacesetter LT's and TSP ORY and they apparently had a heck of a time getting everything to fit with my SLP LM catback. This is a shop that knows F-bodies well too and they do their own custom true dual setups too and they are a sponsor on FASTLS1.com. After they installed it he said the Y-pipe hangs pretty low and I said how low so he got under it with me on the phone and said like 4 fingers to the ground at the lowest point. He also said they had to notch and trim some things too. i though these TSP ory's were supposed to fit real good?

PS-my car is not even lowered.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah...it does hang a lil' low.....
Old 11-02-2004, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

I pretty much have the same set up as you except for a hooker catback. Mine hangs down really low about just like you said yours does. So I guess its normal. Just go SLOW over big speed bumps and stuff!
Old 11-02-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the input guys.

texas, how is your car running untuned right now? i also had an LS6 intake put on and AIR and EGR removed, so i am curious as to how mine will run. Assuming it will be a bit rich until i get it tuned, but I just hope i still gained some power in the time being...
Old 11-03-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Well I put Pace Setters and the TSP ORY on yesterday and things went great. I am going to have to do some moving around of the Y pipe because mine is hitting the floor which is my fault. I have everything pushed together a little too far and it is hitting the trany cross member, which I can fix by moving things back a bit. Not sure ground to Y, but I have like 3/4" between my floor and Y except where it is hitting (3/8). I did not have to knotch or trim anything however.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cstick
I did not have to knotch or trim anything however.
Knotching the K-Member was only for the old pacesetter setup.

My Pacesetters are coming in tomorrow, so I will be installing them then. I will let you know how low mine is. I also have the TSP ORY.

Last edited by Keenov; 11-03-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

it wasn't the K-member, I have the new headers. but they had to notch something and trim another thing underneath, I forget exactly what. i think one was the x-member though.

Cstick, are you saying you only have 3/4 of an inch clearance?!? I hope not b/c thats REALLY REALLY low and you will scrap all the time. The guy at the shop said 4 fingers which is like 2-1/2 to 3 inches frommy measurements. Where you are talking about it hitting the X-member is exactly where the Y-pipe hangs low..I'm assuming. They said if they moved that part up it would be banging and you obviously don't want that.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
it wasn't the K-member, I have the new headers. but they had to notch something and trim another thing underneath, I forget exactly what. i think one was the x-member though.
My statement about the K-Member was directed to Cstick.

texas, how is your car running untuned right now? i also had an LS6 intake put on and AIR and EGR removed, so i am curious as to how mine will run. Assuming it will be a bit rich until i get it tuned, but I just hope i still gained some power in the time being...
FYI - My brothers 2000 SS Runs great after installing headers/LS6intake, with emissions removed. He felt a slight gain after the headers, but when he installed the LS6 intake he felt a better gain. I think it is running rich, but it still runs good and performs good.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance's Avatar

If the y-pipe has that little clearance under the car, then the y-pipe needs to be re-adjusted. That is the whole idea behind our y-pipe. It may take more than one try to get it to fit just right, it just takes time to do it. I don't think there is another y-pipe out there that offers the adjustability that our y-pipe does. And like any other exhaust part out there, it's going to fit differently with every car. Again, the reason we made the y-pipe so adjustable. The Y is not going to fit exactly like the stock piece for obvious reasons. We have installed 20+ of the new y-pipes at our faciltiy with no problems and we have shipped out ALOT more than that with no complaints so far. With any of our products we ecourage people to call us with any problems they may have.

Thanks!

Brian
(806) 866-0734
Old 11-03-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with you Brian and wasn't really to happy about it at first but when the shop called me today about picking up the car they said they had some extra time and went back to the Y-pipe to try and get me better clearance, they said after some adjustment they got it MUCH better. Picked up the car today and the clearance looks really good. Car sound CRAZY at wot!! (Pacesetter LT's, ory and Loudmouth will do that)

PS- For the record this was never meant to be a complaint against YSP's y-pipe, it was more an inquiry about the install, b/c i have heard nothing but good things about the TSP y-pipe which is why I bought it.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Cstick, are you saying you only have 3/4 of an inch clearance?!? I hope not b/c thats REALLY REALLY low and you will scrap all the time. The guy at the shop said 4 fingers which is like 2-1/2 to 3 inches frommy measurements. Where you are talking about it hitting the X-member is exactly where the Y-pipe hangs low..I'm assuming. They said if they moved that part up it would be banging and you obviously don't want that.

Alright. If you would have read what I posted I said I did not know what I had from the ground to the Y (like your 4 fingers) , but I had like 3/4 from the floor of my car to the Y. I was in hurry and threw it all together. I have no doubt that I can adjust the TSP ORY so it will fit excelent. They have made a great piece. I could grind a corner of my X member to make it work, but with the design of the TSP ORY, a little turn of some of the pieces and pulling them apart a little will make my set up an excelent fit.