Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR/intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR/intake questions

hey, im new to this forum so have a little patience with me...ok... i have a 00 camaro ss, and my girlfriend has a 97 corvette. i put headers on my car and did the AIR delete and caped off the tubes(i got the headers without air) but when i put the egr back on i forgot to put the O ring back on the tube that goes in the top of the intake... this caused the car to sound just like it had a big cam in it... i really liked the way it sounded and it didnt affect the way it ran so i left it alone. i know that the O ring was the cause of the way the car sounded because i put it back in and it sounded stock again. i was wandering how i could do this to my girlfriends 97 vette and make it sound like it has a cam, because she loves the way my car sounds... and it dosent have the egr tube that goes in top of the intake... could i just drill a small hole in it, or would it have a differant affect... and if you think im an idiot for even asking about drilling a hole in the intake, i understand....
Old 11-09-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldnt go drilling any holes in the intake. Also with out the O ring you might have exhaust gas leaking in your engine bay. You also have to watch you dont have a vac leak, that will hert proformance too.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it hard to believe that it hasnt hurt the performance because you are pulling in UMETERED air. The mass air is reading 1 amount of air but you are getting another amount of air in the engine.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Vacuum leaks will deffinately hurt the car's performance. It could also cause bigger problems because of a lean condition caused by the vacuum leak. The reason why your car sounds like it has a big cam in it is it's running like **** because the air/fuel ratio is not correct. If you want your car to sound like it has a big camshaft, put a big camshaft in it.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:53 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ILLEGAL
i was wandering how i could do this to my girlfriends 97 vette and make it sound like it has a cam, because she loves the way my car sounds... and it dosent have the egr tube that goes in top of the intake... could i just drill a small hole in it, or would it have a differant affect
No you can't and yes it will.

and if you think im an idiot for even asking about drilling a hole in the intake, i understand....
You said it not me. Just kidding.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Teching In

well i dont know, mabey its just me, but i think 12.70 is pretty damn good for longtubes and true duals... that is all my car has...BAD2000SS.... i read your sig and yours is a little longer than mine... my 60' was 2.0 and yours was 1.7... and you were only 2 tenths faster than me, and everything ive ever read says that a tenth off of your 60'= a tenth and a half of of your e.t.... correct me if im wrong, but that means that my car would be faster than yours if i got even a 1.8 60'... so now YOU tell ME whos car is running like ****... and my 12.70 was with 88% humidity... i just got back from cali and i know that the humidity isnt hardly ever that high...SMARTASS!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

well i dont know, mabey its just me, but i think 12.70 is pretty damn good for longtubes and true duals... that is all my car has...BAD2000SS.... i read your sig and yours is a little longer than mine... my 60' was 2.0 and yours was 1.7... and you were only 2 tenths faster than me, and everything ive ever read says that a tenth off of your 60'= a tenth and a half of of your e.t.... correct me if im wrong, but that means that my car would be faster than yours if i got even a 1.8 60'... so now YOU tell ME whos car is running like ****... and my 12.70 was with 88% humidity... i just got back from cali and i know that the humidity isnt hardly ever that high...SMARTASS!!!
Easy there buddy. Just stating a few obvious facts for you, it didn't have to turn into a pissing contest.

First of all humidity is not the only factor contributing to the air quality. What was the Density Altitude in which you ran your car? And yes the humidity does get that high in California. I will take 88% humidity at sea level with a 32.00 barometer over 65% at 2000' with a 29.50 baramoter any day.

Second are you spinning a horsepower robbing 12-bolt with 4.11's and a heavy Denny's Nitrous ready driveshaft? Do you have an automatic or a manual transmission? What was your trap speed?

You should deffinately get all your facts strait before you pull out your ruler and measure your dick.

If you want to drill holes in your intake manifold because you think it sounds cool, then by all means, go head on. Just remember everyone in this thread has recommended against it. While you're at it, grab the pick axe out of the grarage and drive some speed holes in the hood of your car, they make the car go faster. (Now that's a "SMARTASS" remark.)
Old 11-16-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its all about air flow. Think of the engine as an air pump. The more air it pumps.... the more horsepower it lays down.

Obviously, the intake severely restricts air flow. Its main purpose is to hold the fuel injectors in place and keep rats from nesting in the cylinders.

I've got a special 4 inch hole saw developed specifically for LS1 intakes. I garantee it will make an additional 25 HP (at the wheels!) Simply cut out 4" hole in the center of the intake. Car will sound BAD ***.

Included in the kit are several blue tip matches. Use these to burn a hole through the air filter. Again... more air = more horsepower.

All this for $49.95 please pm me as I am not an official sponsor.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 11-16-2004, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Obviously, the intake severely restricts air flow. Its main purpose is to hold the fuel injectors in place and keep rats from nesting in the cylinders.
I've got a special 4 inch hole saw developed specifically for LS1 intakes. I garantee it will make an additional 25 HP (at the wheels!) Simply cut out 4" hole in the center of the intake. Car will sound BAD ***.
Included in the kit are several blue tip matches. Use these to burn a hole through the air filter. Again... more air = more horsepower.
That's total ....it's been proven that a 3 inch hole makes more power than a 4 inch one, jeez.