Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Oil Cooler used as Engine Oil Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Oil Cooler used as Engine Oil Cooler?

Just want to know, I think this can be done but when turbo time comes I will be upgrading my radiator to one that has a built in transmission oil-cooler and I already have a nice transmission oil cooler with braided-steel hose and screw-type fittings installed.

So I would like to use the one in the radiator as an engine oil cooler.

Can this be done?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see a problem with that, just you will need a lot more motor oil to fill in the OEM trans cooler. The engine produces less pressure than the trans, so no worries about it rupturing a line, you will be using quality lines right?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 12secSS
I don't see a problem with that, just you will need a lot more motor oil to fill in the OEM trans cooler. The engine produces less pressure than the trans, so no worries about it rupturing a line, you will be using quality lines right?

yup, I intend on using same style ones I used with trans-oil cooler
Old 11-16-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002
Just want to know, I think this can be done but when turbo time comes I will be upgrading my radiator to one that has a built in transmission oil-cooler and I already have a nice transmission oil cooler with braided-steel hose and screw-type fittings installed.

So I would like to use the one in the radiator as an engine oil cooler.

Can this be done?
You better pay real close attention to pressure drop. They're two different types of coolers for two different types of jobs. Oil temperature is extremely critical. Too much cooling is not good either. I wouldn't recommend it. Most of your built in coolers aren't worth a flip at cooling a transmission, so I definitely wouldn't use one for cooling engine oil. Are you having oil temperature related problems? Is it for a race car? Do you think it might be some romantic overkill? What are your current oil temps?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another thing to notice, the radiators designed to cool engine oil like the 2000 Caddy Deville for example, the hoses and lines going to the oil cooler side is much bigger. Reason for this is cold oil visocity at engine startup.
With the use of the radiator to cool down the oil, it uses fluid to fluid effect and it does not require an thermostat for the oil temp control since the coolant warms the oil up until up to operating temp.

My transmission cooler is a 24,000 GVW B&M cooler with -6AN hose fittings and it's routed this way:
ATF out of output line goes to the stock radaitor, then to the B&M cooler then back to the transmission.

Reason for this is to heat up the fluid while in cold climates for cold starts. And in the hot climates, it acts as a anti-failsafe should the ATF gets too hot, the fluid to fluid cooler will assist in removing some heat allowing the B&M cooler to remove additional heat.

Do the right way and get the LGM super radiator that has a oil cooler and transmission cooler built in. Oil cooler is on the driver's side radiator and the transmission cooler is in the stock place.

Last edited by Midnight F-117A; 11-16-2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sawedoff
You better pay real close attention to pressure drop. They're two different types of coolers for two different types of jobs. Oil temperature is extremely critical. Too much cooling is not good either. I wouldn't recommend it. Most of your built in coolers aren't worth a flip at cooling a transmission, so I definitely wouldn't use one for cooling engine oil. Are you having oil temperature related problems? Is it for a race car? Do you think it might be some romantic overkill? What are your current oil temps?

I don't need one now but when the time comes I have a big turbo heating up the oil + street use + texas heat I'm sure I'm gonna need one.

It doesn't have to be perfect but something to help cool-down the oil from the turbo should do just fine.

I already have a 28000 GVW tranny cooler -- Do not intend on removing it for one built in the radiator.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A
Do the right way and get the LGM super radiator that has a oil cooler and transmission cooler built in. Oil cooler is on the driver's side radiator and the transmission cooler is in the stock place.
That little piece goes for about $795.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sawedoff
That little piece goes for about $795.
Either that or burnt oil, siezed pistons, siezed bearings, and a siezed or burnt turbo.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can just use a universal mount perma-cool oil cooler. I have one to cool my power steering fluid. you can get a thermostat inline if you are concerned about low winter temps.