Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

straight pipe exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb straight pipe exhaust?

I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard or tried cutting out the muffler and just putting a Y and 2 new tailpipes and tips with no muffler at all? Basically a Loudmouth without the resonator. I have been trying to figure out what I wanna do on an exhaust setup that is loud, but not sound like total sh*t. I thought about trying it and if I don't like it, just going under the car and installing a Dynomax bullet, sweet thunder, XR1 something like that. What do you guys think?

Also thought about a cutout, but is'nt that just running a straight pipe exhaust too?

'98 Z28, bright red, Y3F package, neutral leather, A4
Bone Stock-mods on the way
Old 11-30-2004, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

*copy/paste from fbody*
straight pipes are not loudmouth, there is no need for a cutout in the setup you're thinking of, at LEAST get dynomax bullet mufflers....theyre pretty straight through but at least they'll help a little bit...

you'll probly like the xr-1 muffler better cause it will muffle quite a bit more while still flowing very well.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet thunder would sound really good IMO.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had that setup on my car for as long as i've owned it. Run 3inch pipe from the first Ypipe back and then make another Ypipe over the axle and it sounds killer. It's deep and i've got a lot of good comments on something that's really cheap.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hacked my flowmaster catback up because it wouldn't fit to my new y-pipe. I took it off of the car and I just have the y-pipe hanging there with nothing behind it. It sounds bad as hell So, I am sure striaight pipe all the way back will sound similar.

I am getting TSP True Duals now, catbacks are a pain
Old 12-01-2004, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

I've done exactly that, but with a Dynomax bullet in the I pipe. I thought it sounded great. Total cost was $125. It was fairly quiet at idle and screamed pretty well at high RPMs. Started to sound like **** after removing the cats, though. No matter what you do, your exhaust will never be really loudor really raspy until you remove the cats.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:23 AM
Banned

Straight pipes are the way to go, especially if you can afford duals. Louder they are but it sounds right more than a y pipe. When there's no muffler on there whatsoever there's a deeper tone that almost travels farther.

Last edited by CrvnTransAm; 12-01-2004 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without cats it will rasp, especially true duals that are dumped. However, the stock Y pipe configuration shouldnt sound too bad. Probably not much different than a loud mouth.