Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header hitting kmember

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default header hitting kmember

i have hooker lt's and the primary on the pass. side seems to be hitting the kmember, and it causes a really annoying vibration and noise. anyone else have this problem? can i just grind the kmember a lil bit?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:13 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I had to grind my drivers side kmember because I have the early batch of pacesetter. Then after I got the cam in it started hitting in a different place just slightly on hard launches. I say grind away! Just don't get too crazy. It's also a good idea to sand, primer, & paint the area afterwards if possible.
Good luck!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

yea, it didnt do it too much at first. now it does it alot since i put the cam in.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:15 PM
11 Second Truck Club

On second thought, I've never heard of Hooker LT owners having to grind. I could be wrong though. How's your motor mounts?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I havent heard of to many people having trouble with the hookers rubbing on the k-member but if it is for some reason by all means grind on that thing. I had to grind on mine when i got the pacesetter LTs. Just take it to a local exhaust shop and have them grind on the k-member a little bit and it should fix your problem, thats what i did and they didnt charge me.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read somewhere that a guy switched to poly engine and tranny mounts, beacuse he had a big cam, and it got rid of a lot of his interior rattles. So maybe poly mounts will keep the LT's off the K-member?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:56 AM
TECH Junkie

the motor mounts seemed fine before the cam. hard to tell now though. i guess it cant hurt to change them though. if not, ill start grinding
Old 12-03-2004, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LS1BirdDRG
On second thought, I've never heard of Hooker LT owners having to grind. I could be wrong though.
I've heard of a few people having to grind the K member a tiny bit with the Jet Hots and they're based on the Hooker design so it is possible.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:59 PM
11 Second Truck Club

you should try the MWR hobby shop on your base. They should have a drive on lift to make it easy to find the problem. I use their lifts all the time, usually between 2 & 4 bucks an hour to rent. It may not be the motor mounts, and that would suck to change them only to find it was another problem. What ship are you on?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:20 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Sorry, I got my posts mixed up. Yes, you'll probobly just have to do some grinding. But, the hobby shop is still a good place to do that.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

My Hooker LTs are also rubbing the K member. Gets annoing. Happens everytime i start my car from a dead stop... BTW my car is an LT1
Old 12-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Launching!

I have the Pacesetter LT on my 99 TA and they sit about a 1/8inch from the K member and hit it all the time! It's driving me bonkers . I made an attempt to notch it with the header still bolted up, but just couldn't get in to it with an air cutter and the thick metal is sloped so using a drill kept sliding and would hit my header. That’s just what I want to drill or grind through them LOL. Any suggestions on the best way to do it with out dropping the header? Any one have a Pic of there notched K member? Also stay away from changing the Trans mount until yours breaks. They all suck I have done the Profane one yesterday and vibrates like crazy (putting the Ground off ES back in this weekend). The ES one was just as bad until I ground the bumps from the bottom now it is acceptable but stock one didn't vibrate at all. As for motor mounts I have Profane ones right beside me and I'm going to try and put them in this weekend if the weather is OK. Good luck and let me know what you end up doing on yours.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by God Forgives I Dont
I have the Pacesetter LT on my 99 TA and they sit about a 1/8inch from the K member and hit it all the time! It's driving me bonkers . I made an attempt to notch it with the header still bolted up, but just couldn't get in to it with an air cutter and the thick metal is sloped so using a drill kept sliding and would hit my header. That’s just what I want to drill or grind through them LOL. Any suggestions on the best way to do it with out dropping the header? Any one have a Pic of there notched K member? Also stay away from changing the Trans mount until yours breaks. They all suck I have done the Profane one yesterday and vibrates like crazy (putting the Ground off ES back in this weekend). The ES one was just as bad until I ground the bumps from the bottom now it is acceptable but stock one didn't vibrate at all. As for motor mounts I have Profane ones right beside me and I'm going to try and put them in this weekend if the weather is OK. Good luck and let me know what you end up doing on yours.

Drop the header and take an angle grinder to the k-member. 5 minutes of grinding and a couple of hours on the removal/install of the header.

Brad
Old 12-04-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1BirdDRG
you should try the MWR hobby shop on your base. They should have a drive on lift to make it easy to find the problem. I use their lifts all the time, usually between 2 & 4 bucks an hour to rent. It may not be the motor mounts, and that would suck to change them only to find it was another problem. What ship are you on?
yea, im always at the hobby shop. lots of tools and having acess to a lift is awesome. im on the USS Shreveport LPD-12
Old 12-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Well I tried 3 seperate times to find a tool that would get the job done with headers on the car and finally got it beat. Used a drimel and a metal file bit to notch places so it would hold the drill bit in place so it wouldn't slip and go into my header. Then finished it with the drimel and the metal file so now I have about 3/4 inch give or take. Still rubbing somewere else most likely the floor pan but its so much better than it was.

Quick Reply: header hitting kmember