Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique Exhaust idea!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique Exhaust idea!!!!!

I thought this up myself but it is worth saying, I'm trying to get a true dual setup but seeing the pix where the tips end up under the differential, I hate that exhaust should be seen not hidden. I love true duals and I thought I had true duals until I looked ****!!! tha mustangs get the advantage even the gts!!! so my idea is get the Texas Speed Rumbler (duallies) and have the side exhaust right before the tire and after the door. Now I know this is custom work, like the side skirt has to be cut and the back bumper has to be replaced, I don't want the exhaust sections showing probably put a camaro bumper. This would be a bad *** setup if it can be done. I am very optimistic about this. So any cooments.
once again in short
true duals side exits what y'all think?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

I have seen it done before and the pipes were trashed from hitting speed bumps. Not a very good idea in my opinion.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Checkmate
I have seen it done before and the pipes were trashed from hitting speed bumps. Not a very good idea in my opinion.

any pix of that setup? i really want the gains of the true duals how are yours?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People have already tried it, and the general consensus is that is doesn't end up looking right. I take it you just don't want to spend the extra $$$ to have them run up over the axle? A good system would look like this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/242827-az-power-sound-pro-dyno-true-duals-over-axle-pics.html

If you aren't expecting to spend that much, then you are kinda stuck with dumps. There is a lot of fab work that goes into something like that. I'm taking it you have headers already? If you don't, you'd better factor that in too...true duals off of manifolds really isn't worth it.

Steve
Old 12-02-2004, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
any pix of that setup? i really want the gains of the true duals how are yours?
It hasn't been on a dyno since I took the y-pipe and stock catback off. SOTP I don't think I gained much, it needs to be tuned. I will be taking care of that in the spring.

I didn't go TD for power, I went with them because I wanted something that sounded good.

Pics:

Sound clip:
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~tchess...etrueduals.mp3
Old 12-02-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Side exits can be done.. However, I wouldn't pay the cash for the TSP setup and then customize it. You should go totally 2.5" custom. It would probably cheaper and less of a hassle..
Old 12-02-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

i was thinking side-exit exhaust would be sweet too. i like the idea of it. I wouldn't think you would have clearance issues if you "notched" the sideskirt and moves the outlet up into against the body. just a thought.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by squall01
i was thinking side-exit exhaust would be sweet too. i like the idea of it. I wouldn't think you would have clearance issues if you "notched" the sideskirt and moves the outlet up into against the body. just a thought.
The one big problem would be getting it to look like it came that way from the factory, which is the look we are all trying for IMO. For that reason alone, I wouldn't attempt this on my car. I just don't think you could ever get the fit and finish to look right, and would just end up going back to a catback. I mean, hell, look at how many people run dumped true duals only to go back to a regular catback. Then there are people like that that want the true duals again, only this time out the rear. It never ends...don't even get me started on cam specs.

Steve
Old 12-02-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually a guy on this board has them done w/Sweet Thunders, Trans Am WS6 RGS is his handle. They look pretty sweet, he fabbed them up himself. You should PM him w/any questions you have, I'm sure he'd be willin to help you out. Here's his profile: https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=949 There's a video of his true duals in his sig. Check it out.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
People have already tried it, and the general consensus is that is doesn't end up looking right. I take it you just don't want to spend the extra $$$ to have them run up over the axle? A good system would look like this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242827

If you aren't expecting to spend that much, then you are kinda stuck with dumps. There is a lot of fab work that goes into something like that. I'm taking it you have headers already? If you don't, you'd better factor that in too...true duals off of manifolds really isn't worth it.

Steve

The thing is that I thought that only one pipe would fit over the axle. So with tha assumption I treied to be different and the side exit but that setup you showed me is sweet!!! Where can I get that setup or is that exclusive?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by REDWS6CHICK
I thought this up myself but it is worth saying, I'm trying to get a true dual setup but seeing the pix where the tips end up under the differential, I hate that exhaust should be seen not hidden. I love true duals and I thought I had true duals until I looked ****!!! tha mustangs get the advantage even the gts!!! so my idea is get the Texas Speed Rumbler (duallies) and have the side exhaust right before the tire and after the door. Now I know this is custom work, like the side skirt has to be cut and the back bumper has to be replaced, I don't want the exhaust sections showing probably put a camaro bumper. This would be a bad *** setup if it can be done. I am very optimistic about this. So any cooments.
once again in short
true duals side exits what y'all think?
Most people probably agree with you but where the Mustangs get the advantage is room under the car. Exhaust needs to be tucked, and when you run it out the sides its not tucked but rather hanging below the floopan which is already low on these cars. There is a reason the true dual setups exit where they do. Going all the way out the back would let it be seen but its gonna be tight. Its been done, but probably aint cheap.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am buying parts for duals over the axle. 2.5" from the x-pipe back. I am going with a Magnaflow X between the tunnel brace and body, to sweet thunders side by side, over the axle. Right now I have about $200 in parts (mufflers, x-pipe, piping) it will cost more only becasue I am buying headers, and high flow cats. I was going to take all the parts to someone and have them cut and weld it (I would, but I dont know how to weld yet) So duals over the axle is definitely more expensive than dumps, but just keep an eye out for deals, and if you can do it yourself, even cheaper.

One thing, I read that dual 2.5 WILL go over the axle. But should I get the relocation kit? Without it, will the pipes hit or bang the body? $200 is alot for something I may not need.

Last edited by psykoTa; 12-03-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:05 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....69&postcount=3
Old 12-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

i dont know how big they are, but i know roush makes tips that come out the side for their mustangs. they are slanted, i dont know how those might look
Old 12-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

Originally Posted by 00ls1
i dont know how big they are, but i know roush makes tips that come out the side for their mustangs. they are slanted, i dont know how those might look
here's a pic
Old 12-04-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Original poster: That's a solid idea. I thought of doing it myself but do not have the body skills to complete it to my satisfaction.This idea has been though of by quite a few people. A simple search woud show you a few examples.

I had to drop in on this post and say I truly wonder how many polite responses this would have gotten had a guy posted this. I'll commend JRP for keeping to his tried and true "Use the search newbie" posting style.

You guys and your crack me up to no end at times...
Old 12-04-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
You guys and your crack me up to no end at times...
hahaha...i flame chicks who don't search just as much as guys. screen names don't mean a damn thing. now if monica belluci started posting on this site...THEN i might be a little nice to her
Old 12-04-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Actually a guy on this board has them done w/Sweet Thunders, Trans Am WS6 RGS is his handle. They look pretty sweet, he fabbed them up himself. You should PM him w/any questions you have, I'm sure he'd be willin to help you out. Here's his profile: https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=949 There's a video of his true duals in his sig. Check it out.
Whoa! Slow down the flaming! j/k man
Old 12-04-2004, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Alright. It's really not going to look like a factory option without some serious cutting and filling work on the side skirts. I would try to use some ovalized 2.5 inch tubing, to save more ground clearence. The clearence aonly gets worse as you move towards the sides of the car. Also, use some chromed Z28 tips. These are pretty flat. They will hug the underside of the car and give you more clearance than any round or Rousch style tip. They will also look good in context with the straight, flat lines of the side skirt. You had better find some good exhaust hangers, or you're going to have a set of massaging bucket seats.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:34 AM
Launching!

I put some side pipes on my car, but I made them stop just before they left the car. I really didn't think they looked good with tips or sticking out, so i cut them shorter, to stop just before the lower control arms. I had the turndowns and they were much louder than the side pipes, which cut the drone down considerably, I guess since the gases weren't bouncing off the ground and hitting the underside of the car. The side pipes are actually the original pipes that came off the stock muffler that exited out the back of the bumper, they woked perfectly as they were bent at the right spots, all i had to do was weld up a small section to make them fit. I'm sure an exhaust place could have done better, but I was more for function than looks. Here are some pictures that may help you decide on what to do http://community.webshots.com/album/79485783kIzaYY/1