Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks SS LTs + GMMG Exhaust = NICE!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Kooks SS LTs + GMMG Exhaust = NICE!!

Just had my Kooks LTs + Catted Y installed at TTP .. and alongwith my GMMG exhaust, the sound is AWESOME!!!

The drone [at and below 2k rpms for an A4] is GONE!!.. and the car is, unbelievably, quieter at idle and while crusing.. I guess all that backpressure from the stock manifolds is now released which, in turn, has erased whatever cabin drone I had before !!!

I am SO loving this combination!!! ... Esp when you floor it.. broke the tires [ like new kumho 712s ] loose at around 50 mph!! and the car pulls like a raped ape and sounds like it's GROWLING and SNARLING at WOT! .. I'm still grinning ear to ear

I'd like to thank TTP for going the extra mile to fix my GMMG exhaust rattle from the heatshield!!

For those that are considering LTs with GMMG, DO IT!! you will NOT regret it one bit!!!

I'll make some videos later.. time to go burn some tire and gas now
Old 12-04-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet!!! post up some clips ASAP!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlownGTX
Just had my Kooks LTs + Catted Y installed at TTP .. and alongwith my GMMG exhaust, the sound is AWESOME!!!

The drone [at and below 2k rpms for an A4] is GONE!!.. and the car is, unbelievably, quieter at idle and while crusing.. I guess all that backpressure from the stock manifolds is now released which, in turn, has erased whatever cabin drone I had before !!!

I am SO loving this combination!!! ... Esp when you floor it.. broke the tires [ like new kumho 712s ] loose at around 50 mph!! and the car pulls like a raped ape and sounds like it's GROWLING and SNARLING at WOT! .. I'm still grinning ear to ear

I'd like to thank TTP for going the extra mile to fix my GMMG exhaust rattle from the heatshield!!

For those that are considering LTs with GMMG, DO IT!! you will NOT regret it one bit!!!

I'll make some videos later.. time to go burn some tire and gas now
I was there and I heard it all, from the outside (at least). It does sound awesome and I'm happy that TT Performance also fixed your rattling problem. I'm also considering getting the same set up on my car in the near future. Those guys at TT Performance are great and I'm getting all my dynos, dyno tuning, and modifications done by them. BTW, I might save myself $1400 a year if I qualify for my Geico quote!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Glad you like it because I have that same exact set-up on my '02 and I absolutely love how that combination sounds! Although mine did not get any quieter at idle/cruise...But from the mid rpms up, damn!

I'm so happy with it that I plan on putting on some headers to go with the GMMG on my LT1 come next spring...

Mike
Old 12-05-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, there is no better combo for sound on a LS1.
LT's w/cats+GMMG=the best sounding car.

Congrats. Now turn that radio off and listen to the gmmg.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:29 AM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I was there and I heard it all, from the outside (at least). It does sound awesome and I'm happy that TT Performance also fixed your rattling problem. I'm also considering getting the same set up on my car in the near future. Those guys at TT Performance are great and I'm getting all my dynos, dyno tuning, and modifications done by them. BTW, I might save myself $1400 a year if I qualify for my Geico quote!
Hey man!.. you should def. go for this and it's NOT all that heavy either .. My next mod will be a nice 3600 TC at TTP ..

Awesome SOM Camaros there too !! .. Loved the color

Now, switch to GEICO quickly so you can get more mod money

Vid/Audio clips coming shortly...
Old 12-06-2004, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it came out nice.

I thought Geico didn't offer insurance in NJ?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I thought Geico didn't offer insurance in NJ?
They moved in recently!! You can get a quote online.. I'm saving around $850 annually over State Farm!
Old 12-06-2004, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Full coverage on a 2001 SS in Cali from Geico <$100/mo (with 1 speeding ticket)
Refinanced at Pentagon Fed Credit Union for 3.9%
Left plenty of cash for suspension, exhaust, stereo... and Sirius (SIRI) stock
Old 12-06-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

They moved in recently!! You can get a quote online.. I'm saving around $850 annually over State Farm!
Those guys at State Farm are just big-time crooks. The $1400 savings I mentioned is for the same exact coverage that I currently have with State Farm. Oh, I just ordered those Continentals you mentioned for my mustang, because I recently did a 360 with it on a slippery curve off the parkway. No damages though. But you were right, those Continentals were in the top 3 of all-season ultra high performance tires on Tire Rack and they were in stock. The Pirellis I ordered won't be in until the end of January! so I'm just going to order the DS-3's once the next racing season starts. BTW, I got a new best:

13.407@103.98 completely bone-stock with a 2.075 60' and the A4.

The brand new spark plugs made a big difference. I'm slowly getting to those low 13's. I just gotta get my 60' a little lower by either using a different launch technique or just getting better street tires and suspension. My GSC's have nearly 47,000 miles on them!

Last edited by damon_Z; 12-06-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
In my opinion, there is no better combo for sound on a LS1.
LT's w/cats+GMMG=the best sounding car.

Congrats. Now turn that radio off and listen to the gmmg.

I agree! Catted longtubes and GMMG are nice and refined up till about 2500rpm. After that I get everyone's attention in traffic.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Talking

Those guys at State Farm are just big-time crooks. The $1400 savings I mentioned is for the same exact coverage that I currently have with State Farm. Oh, I just ordered those Continentals you mentioned for my mustang, because I recently did a 360 with it on a slippery curve off the parkway. No damages though. But you were right, those Continentals were in the top 3 of all-season ultra high performance tires on Tire Rack and they were in stock. The Pirellis I ordered won't be in until the end of January! so I'm just going to order the DS-3's once the next racing season starts. BTW, I got a new best:

13.407@103.98 completely bone-stock with a 2.075 60' and the A4.

The brand new spark plugs made a big difference. I'm slowly getting to those low 13's. I just gotta get my 60' a little lower by either using a different launch technique or just getting better street tires and suspension. My GSC's have nearly 47,000 miles on them!

WOOT!!.. congrats on the your new PB! Drop your 60' to 1.9 and you're low 13s I'm sure if you get a nice TC, you'll be in 12s no problem!! BTW, what plugs did you have'em put in ? NGK TR55s or TR5s ? Do you know what they gapped'em to ?

Glad to hear you're okay after that donut on the Parkway!! it's been crazy here since yesterday with sleet + snow! Those Continentals will WORK GREAT!.. probably the best Ultra High Perf. All Seasons out there right now w/o costing an arm and leg!!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1BAD-SS
I agree! Catted longtubes and GMMG are nice and refined up till about 2500rpm. After that I get everyone's attention in traffic.
Totally agree!!

BTW, the only downside is.. I don't listen to radio anymore lol!! .. the sound from the exhaust now is music in itself!!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

WOOT!!.. congrats on the your new PB! Drop your 60' to 1.9 and you're low 13s I'm sure if you get a nice TC, you'll be in 12s no problem!! BTW, what plugs did you have'em put in ? NGK TR55s or TR5s ? Do you know what they gapped'em to ?

Glad to hear you're okay after that donut on the Parkway!! it's been crazy here since yesterday with sleet + snow! Those Continentals will WORK GREAT!.. probably the best Ultra High Perf. All Seasons out there right now w/o costing an arm and leg!!
TR55's. I don't know what they gapped them at, but I think they made a big difference in the quarter mile. Before (with the factory plugs), my trap speeds were in the high 100's to the low 103's. Now (with the TR55's), I'm in the high 103's to the high 104's. And I'm pretty sure the car could get a best of 106 MPH in optimum conditions (i.e. good weather, new tires, and a track that has traction). The factory plugs that came out of my car were Denso's and the tips looked black as night.

And dammit! I didn't save $1,400 with Geico. I'm only saving around $800, because they saw the 3 tickets that I got for not having a front license plate. Those tickets eliminated my good driving discount even though I don't have any insurance points for them. But anyway, it's still cheaper than State Farm. Now, I have to find a way to stick a front plate on the grill without drilling holes. You think a double-sided tape will work? (Since the car is still financed, I have to get it inspected in 7 days.)

BTW, I was just about to ask you, but I read your post again. That's really awesome! No droan with an A4 even though you have longtube headers and a chambered exhaust? That right there just sold me. Kooks and GMMG all the way! And I'm already thinking about those stainless steel Borla intercooled, dual dual slash-cut y-tips that are being sold by LMPerformance for like $99 per dual. What do you think of these?

Last edited by damon_Z; 12-07-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

TR55's. I don't know what they gapped them at, but I think they made a big difference in the quarter mile. Before (with the factory plugs), my trap speeds were in the high 100's to the low 103's. Now (with the TR55's), I'm in the high 103's to the high 104's. And I'm pretty sure the car could get a best of 106 MPH in optimum conditions (i.e. good weather, new tires, and a track that has traction). The factory plugs that came out of my car were Denso's and the tips looked black as night.
They sure made a huge difference on your ride for being spark plugs!.. you gained what.. 2 tenths and 1 mph, right? That's outright awesome!!

I'm sure she has more in her in stock form being the lightest factory LS1 and the 60'.. You should change the plug wires too.. and the fuel filter, while at it..

And dammit! I didn't save $1,400 with Geico. I'm only saving around $800, because they saw the 3 tickets that I got for not having a front license plate. Those tickets eliminated my good driving discount even though I don't have any insurance points for them. But anyway, it's still cheaper than State Farm. Now, I have to find a way to stick a front plate on the grill without drilling holes. You think a double-sided tape will work? (Since the car is still financed, I have to get it inspected in 7 days.)
They cut back $600 just for no-point tickets... that's bizzare!!.. But, either way, you're still saving $800!! that's quite a penny IMO! Plus, if you're not driving the Z much in winter, get the "seasonal insurance" for now.. That'll save you a few $$$s more right now!.. Ask'em about seasonal rates..

BTW, I was just about to ask you, but I read your post again. That's really awesome! No droan with an A4 even though you have longtube headers and a chambered exhaust? That right there just sold me. Kooks and GMMG all the way!
Yeah there's absolutely NO cabin drone.. It actually might be quieter than before, if anything!!.. But, past 2k rpms, it starts drawing attention!.. and I'm lovin it Can't wait for it to be 55* and SUNNY tomorrow!!!

I'd say GO FOR IT!.. But, if you're looking to maximize your "performance parts investment" get a Torque Convertor [no less than 3200.. I'm getting a Vig 3600 in a few weeks.. ] If I were to do it again, I'd still do an exhaust.. because I'm not really into track racing as much.. so the exhaust note does it for me!!

And I'm already thinking about those stainless steel Borla intercooled, dual dual slash-cut y-tips that are being sold by LMPerformance for like $99 per dual. What do you think of these?

Looking good!! I've seen these and the square ones in person on a Camaro. They both look good [kinda expensive at $99/each though.. I got the Fast Toys 3" dual/dual SS ones for $104 shipped].. Just make sure they're tucked in right... Somehow, the ones that stick out too much look weird!!

My favs are the Corsa Premium Tips!!.. but I'd have to sell my left nut for those
Old 12-07-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

They sure made a huge difference on your ride for being spark plugs!.. you gained what.. 2 tenths and 1 mph, right? That's outright awesome!!

I'm sure she has more in her in stock form being the lightest factory LS1 and the 60'.. You should change the plug wires too.. and the fuel filter, while at it..

They cut back $600 just for no-point tickets... that's bizzare!!.. But, either way, you're still saving $800!! that's quite a penny IMO! Plus, if you're not driving the Z much in winter, get the "seasonal insurance" for now.. That'll save you a few $$$s more right now!.. Ask'em about seasonal rates..

Yeah there's absolutely NO cabin drone.. It actually might be quieter than before, if anything!!.. But, past 2k rpms, it starts drawing attention!.. and I'm lovin it Can't wait for it to be 55* and SUNNY tomorrow!!!

I'd say GO FOR IT!.. But, if you're looking to maximize your "performance parts investment" get a Torque Convertor [no less than 3200.. I'm getting a Vig 3600 in a few weeks.. ] If I were to do it again, I'd still do an exhaust.. because I'm not really into track racing as much.. so the exhaust note does it for me!!

Looking good!! I've seen these and the square ones in person on a Camaro. They both look good [kinda expensive at $99/each though.. I got the Fast Toys 3" dual/dual SS ones for $104 shipped].. Just make sure they're tucked in right... Somehow, the ones that stick out too much look weird!!

My favs are the Corsa Premium Tips!!.. but I'd have to sell my left nut for those
Before I get an aftermarket TC, I'm gonna make sure that I have the suspension mods and the stickier street tires first so that I don't get all that wheel spin from using a higher stall converter.

Those Borla tips that I want are the same ones as yours, 3 inches. How big are the Corsa Premium tips? Could those be bought separate from the exhaust?