Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor mount install

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question motor mount install

ok well im about to get new motor mounts and i want to install the driver side on my own, however ive read that you need to remove the headers. my only problem is that my headers are welded to the rest of the exhaust. is it still possible for me to do this? if so how long should it take with all the right tools and two people??
Old 12-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Go buy some band claps and get your exhaust cut. Then install the band clamps and they should provide a pretty good seal if you do it right.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea but how much will all that cost?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Stainless Steel Band Clamps - $10 ea.
Hack Saw - I have one.
Your time & Patience - Nothing

Total - $20
Old 12-29-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just did mine on Sat.I did it by myself.You dont need to drop the headers.You do need to pull the altenator,to get the long bolt all the way out.I dont know how most people do it,but i didnt take the bracket off the frame.With the altenator out of the way you can access everything pretty good.It took me about 2 hours taking breaks to remove and install the poly on the drivers.On the pass. side i unbolted the a/c compressor and pulled it forward leaving the lines hooked up,then i took off the bracket its attached to.You dont need to drop the starter or the header.With the a/c out of the way you have pretty good access.It took me about 2 hours on this side as well,taking my time.
Just to let you know i took out the rear/top a/c bolt out from the top of the car.I then unplugged the wire going to the a/c compressor from the bottom and fished it to the top between the heater hoses to get it out of the way.The rest of the a/c bolts i took out from the bottom.On the 4 motormount,i believe 13mm bolts holding the mount to the block i used a breaker bar to break loose,then used a long socket and turned them out by hand.
I did do 1 complete side at a time.One other thing,once the you get the mount ready to come out,you can jack the motor high enough to get it out.When i got the motor as high as it would go,I pulled the mount up and turned it towards me and slid it out towards the front.
Biggest thing i can suggest is to take your time and dont get frustrated.Believe me i wanted to throw wrenches a few times!
Sorry for the long reply!Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above. You don't need to drop the headers.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to drop the headers, but it is easier. The first time I did it was on my car with the headers in place and it took about 12 hours to do the driver's side. We are pretty good at car stuff and even had a lift, but it is a royal pain. The second time I did it was on a buddy's car during the header install and we did it in about two hours that time. My only advice is to stay patient, because the bolts don't like to line up right when you put everything back together.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well im about to start working on the mounts. if the driver's side goes well then i think ill do the passenger side too. thanks for the suggestions. anymore are welcome since i will be checking the forum periodically during the install just in case.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will not want to do the passenger side after you're done with the driver's side....I thought I would do both too, heh....
Old 01-04-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know but i figure if i keep telling myself.....
Old 01-04-2005, 06:46 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go out and get yourself at least a 12" extension (preferably wobble), an impact swivel (1000000 uses ), and a shallow and deep socket 13mm (or whatever the mount to motor bolts are), you can position the socket/swivel on the bolts, then fish the extension thru the steering and get it on the swivel. this is for the front 2 bolts on each side.

if you have trouble puttin the huge bolt back thru, try turning it while pushing on it, the tip is designed to guide itself in while turning (i think).

p.s. - make sure you unplug the exciter wire on the top of the alternator. its a little black plug about an inch long with one wire coming out that loves to rip out . while the alternator is still mounted, it points straight down at the ground, you will see it. might also want to pull back the black plastic air deflector that goes over the front swaybar for a little more working room.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
go out and get yourself at least a 12" extension (preferably wobble), an impact swivel (1000000 uses ), and a shallow and deep socket 13mm (or whatever the mount to motor bolts are), you can position the socket/swivel on the bolts, then fish the extension thru the steering and get it on the swivel. this is for the front 2 bolts on each side.

if you have trouble puttin the huge bolt back thru, try turning it while pushing on it, the tip is designed to guide itself in while turning (i think).

p.s. - make sure you unplug the exciter wire on the top of the alternator. its a little black plug about an inch long with one wire coming out that loves to rip out . while the alternator is still mounted, it points straight down at the ground, you will see it. might also want to pull back the black plastic air deflector that goes over the front swaybar for a little more working room.

i didnt read this until it was too late. i pulled the red wire out. also i cant get the rear bolt off because it keeps turning the wire along with it and im afraid im going to tear it up. HELP!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:07 PM
That's what she said...

calm down lol. unplug the plastic plug from the alternator. you can reach in and grab the rubber grommet out of it that the wire went into. pull it out, then you can pop the metal connector itself out of the inside of the plastic plug. you can strip the red wire, and wrap it around the metal connector, then crimp it down and put it back in the plastic plug. you will understand when you get the plastic plug apart.

i dont quite understand about the wire turning with the bolt.

do you mean the thick output wire from the alternator? the one thats held on by the nut?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
calm down lol. unplug the plastic plug from the alternator. you can reach in and grab the rubber grommet out of it that the wire went into. pull it out, then you can pop the metal connector itself out of the inside of the plastic plug. you can strip the red wire, and wrap it around the metal connector, then crimp it down and put it back in the plastic plug. you will understand when you get the plastic plug apart.

i dont quite understand about the wire turning with the bolt.

do you mean the thick output wire from the alternator? the one thats held on by the nut?
yes the thick wire it keeps twisting with the bolt and i cant get anything to the inner nut on the other side to turn it....as for the wire i got it out of the connector. im going to solder it together
Old 01-04-2005, 07:18 PM
That's what she said...

thats not a bolt holding the wire on, its a nut. i dont know why it is twisting on you, mine came right off.

try holding the wire in place, and turning the nut with a wrench.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tried that....didnt have enough strength to hold it....
Old 01-04-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry about the bolt/nut confusion. i have a tendancy to use them interchangibly
Old 01-04-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Be very careful on how much you turn the thick battery cable on the back of the Alt. If you twist to far its going to be off to a rebuilder for some parts. John
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt completely remove the altenator.I just sat it on my sway bar.I broke the little wire a few years ago doing other work.I went to the dealer and bought a new plug.I added about 10" of wire,so it wouldnt pull out again.
Just for the future if anyone has to remove their altenator,I took a coat hanger and bent a tight 1/4" 90 on it.I slide it down thru the top and put it on the wire plug snap/lock.Just pull up gently and the wire/plug will pull right out.The coat hanger works nicely.
Good luck Kalel,if you were here we'd have it wrapped up!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i finally got it done. holy **** that was the biggest PITA ever! didnt finish till 4:30am. the mount works awesome though. it feels almost like its stock in the inside. i couldnt believe it. the best part is my girlfriend bought it for my bday=)