Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rusty headers

how long should coated headers last ??

i know i bought the "cheapy" flowtechs but i do not really drive in crappy weather and i clean them at least 1 time a month. but they are starting to rust and i had them installed in july.

do i have a case against them to replace them ?? if so, any one know of a website or a number for flowtech ??

i would like to get this resolved
Old 01-09-2005, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

i went through something like this before.. i had jet hots.. in a few months they started to rust around the collectors.. it got worse and worse and the coating started to peel off.. the car was never driven in the snow or cold conditions neither.. i put them in like in march and took them out around october or so..

I went and got a set of QTP stainless and never looked back..
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

My Hooker shortied have only been in I think 6 months or something, and they are starting to rust by the collector, and a few other places. I guess they should be fine for awhile. I doubt I will ever see them rust through, but if they do I will have to find some stainless ones. Anybody have any idea how long it takes a decent header to rust through?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some Jethot coated hooker headers. The coating started peeling off within a year (bad batch I guess) There was a 2 year warranty on the coating. I jabbered with them for a month or so about options. Finally just got a refund on the coating and had another company coat them.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard of people rusting within 2 months, then there are people who have had them for years with no rust. i guess its the area you live in. maybe the moisture in the air??????
Old 01-10-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I let my Jet Hots go and never did any work on them they would be rusted to all hell. I also drive the car through the WV winters and they really throw down the salt here. Every oil change I really go at them with Mother's Never Dull wadding and it makes them look like new again. I also wash all road salt from the underside of the car every time it's driven when salt is on the road.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, this is my only car and the parents do not know about the headers.

so this leaves me in a shitty situation if they needed to be re-coated or replaced. i would need the car back the same day, if they were replaced. i also need to fix the damn y pipe that bangs like hell !!

mothers never dull wadding huh ?? might have to try that. any other cleaning suggestions ?? i just use soapy water and wipe them down
Old 01-10-2005, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All ceramic coated headers will seep rust through the coating - it doesn't mean the coating is bad(unless it's flaking off) - that's just how it is. The only rust-free headers are stainless.