Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edlebrock Slip-on Merge collectors? How?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Edlebrock Slip-on Merge collectors? How?

I've been extremely fustrated with the " slip-on" collectors. I can't seem to get them on far enough yet. I've only been on the Drivers side for about 1 hour an can't get any more progress out of it.

Anyone have any good ideas?

I'm going to try heating the collectors in the oven to about 500 F to try to help it along, but may just have to get a torch.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you just hammer them on?

That's why I love my QTP long tubes with the high velocity merge collectors, they come welded on.
www.quicktimeperformance.com
Old 01-22-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I wish I had money instead of time.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Yeah I wish I had money instead of time.
time is money

what have you tried so far to get them on?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:58 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Try to rotate them 90 degrees to see if they will line up better. That's what I did and it worked for me. I used a deab blow hammer and proceeded to 'seat' the collector.

Unfortunately, while bolting up the driver's side, I snapped the first bolt and stripped the second bolt, so the head had to come off and get those two bolts helicoiled. I'm in no rush considering I have 14" of snow on the ground.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put them on the header off the car...alot easier. YOu have to pry the primaries around to get them to line up.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xssive
I put them on the header off the car...alot easier. YOu have to pry the primaries around to get them to line up.

Duh. They still are.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:44 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Richie, I ran into a similar problem as you when I tried putting my merge on the driver's side.

What I found helped was to install the merge on one primary at a time to where it only slides on the one collector at a time. This was to make sure that they would fit and that none of them were out of round or improper diameter ect.

Then I just sat down, patiently starting to try and find the best fit, rotating the collector 90 degrees each time.

I finally found it and slipped the collector onto the header. It only went on about a half an inch at first.

I then turn to a dead blow hammer and began to hammer it on. Don't worry about denting anything, it's quite strong.

Finally, I grabbed the header and slammed the collector against a peice of carpeting on the floor in the garage and the collector seated perfectly fine. I was hesitant at first, but it worked out fine. No dents or dings or damage of any kind.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man. That sucks that you have all the snow out by you. I'll get some exhaust clips and some pics up when I'm done. Should have track times too.

I've been pounding the hell out of the Drivers side for a while now. I might have ended up with it not being where it wanted to be, but I can't get the collector back off so I just have to keep going. The Passengerside shouldn't be as bad as this. I think It was impatience playing a big part. Man this coating is going to hold up. Torching the collector to get it in place and the coating really isn't phased.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

I think you already got it .but I ended up starting them with some oil then holding the header and slamming down the collector on a piece of 6+6 until it mated up right.oil does wonders . or one will work