Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods that actually work HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods that actually work HELP!!!

I have a 2001 ws6 and i was looking for headers. From what i read shorties do nothing for 01+ ls1 so i was looking for longtubes. The problem i have is i lowered the car with the sportline kit and its low. No one seems to give a straight anwser if it will fit anyone know? if they wont fit any suggestions for mods. also looked at prochargers but i will probally have clearence problems.
anyone know any good mods that make serious hp that dont reqire pulling the motor or serious veh. down time. Im looking for good hp gains by spring not really a money issue just what works and what doesnt. I dont dive the car every day only on nice weekends. I m looking to go high 11's or low 12 by spring. And if anyone has pics of ground clearance with headers please send me some cliffhome123@aol.com. Any info will be greatly appreciated
Old 01-23-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

A good setup to get your car the time you want is relativley easy. First a good set of headers that offer good ground clearence are the QTP's they are more expensive than most but the gains are well worth it. You will also want to purchase a ORY(offroad Ypipe) or a catted Y and if you dont have a catback you should get one, Borla and Corsa sound awesome for our cars. You didnt list any mods for your car so lets assume its stock. You should get a airlid and K&N filter. Know for the mod thats going to unleash the beast in your car, a cam will definatley give you the power to propel your car anywhere from a high 11 to a low 11 depends on how big you want to go, talk to a sponsor on this site to help you choose one, call Cartek and talk to Dave . If you go the cam route you are going to need to do some supporting mods such as valve springs, Ti-retainers-optional but a good investment! pushrods and a good timing chain such as a rollmaster, also a tune. You didnt say if you had a auto or a 6 SPD if you have a auto you will want to get a stall converter and gears 3.73's will be good, if you have a 6SPD you can go to 4.10's and be perfectly streetable. All of this should take no more than a week and a half and you will be happier than a pig in **** when you get done, then all you got to do is put the power to the ground at the strip with some tires and suspension mods. Good luck
Old 01-23-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

N2O should do it.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Nitrous will definatley do it, but it would be more fun to drive a car on the street that has that kind of power every time you lay into it, not just when the bottle is open. If he is only looking for track times I too would say spray it. I was just telling him the best way N/A to make some simple serious power.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Teching In

no nitrous i want all around power, The car is auto. i only have a k&n filter eibach lowering springs hypertech programmer and nitto 555r2 drag radials. i was thinking of a cam but im not sure how quickly it can be done, got any labor times realistic ones? How are Qtp's headers i never heard of them what website are they on? Stall convertor is easy but does it really make a difference on the street?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

A cam install with springs ti-retainers pushrods and timing chain would probably take 4 days at the most, thats if the shop is very busy and the car is just sitting waiting to be worked on, but should only take a day for a competant shop to install and tune it. Check out Cartek in Garwood NJ I'm assuming you live in New York from your screen name It's not that far away for the quality of their work you won't be dissapointed. Call Dave at 908-317-4496. The QTP headers are one of the best on the market do a search to learn more, their website is www.quicktimeperformance.com As for the stall I dont know if it will make a difference I never had a auto with a stall. I'm assuming it would make a difference on the street. The shop you get the cam from can hook you up with the correct converter for your cam. Good luck let me know if you have anymore questions
Old 01-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Teching In

thank you very much for your time if i have any questions i'll you in mind thanks again
Old 01-23-2005, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

I think a converter,gears,headers/cat back,and some tuning should get you to low 12s/high 11s.the cam is better idea but you kinda need to get all that other **** first then youll definitally be in the 11s. as for the install time it should only take one day in any decent shop to install a cam and tune it if they only work on your car.headers 2-3hr.catback 1-2hrs.gears 1 day depends how many times it takes to get right.converter 2-3 hours.most of that stuff you can do at home w/ the simple hand tools except those gears let a pro do that.
QTP headers can be found to the right side of your screen as a sponsor
converter's do make a big differance anywhere you drive them.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NY01ws6
I have a 2001 ws6 and i was looking for headers. From what i read shorties do nothing for 01+ ls1 so i was looking for longtubes. The problem i have is i lowered the car with the sportline kit and its low. No one seems to give a straight anwser if it will fit anyone know? if they wont fit any suggestions for mods. also looked at prochargers but i will probally have clearence problems.
anyone know any good mods that make serious hp that dont reqire pulling the motor or serious veh. down time. Im looking for good hp gains by spring not really a money issue just what works and what doesnt. I dont dive the car every day only on nice weekends. I m looking to go high 11's or low 12 by spring. And if anyone has pics of ground clearance with headers please send me some cliffhome123@aol.com. Any info will be greatly appreciated
i have a 01 and ill tell ya what works for what you need, longtubes and a off road y pipe will pick you up nicely, get a whisper lid for the intake and a cool blue filter, the k&n has a shitty design and doesnt seal tight without the stick on foam gasket. get a good flowing catback like a borla, hooker, loudmouth. the loudmouth is well LOUD, the borla sounds great and has plates for adjustable sound and flow levels, the hooker is the cheapest and flows extremely well, nice mellow tone at idle and really wakes up when you get on it. on the street a 3200-3500 converter will really wake up the car, it is one of the best mods for an auto car thats mainly boltons. you can also get small cams that dont require and computer tuning and will sound stock but kick it up a good 20-30hp. if you have 3.23 gears its not worth changing them out. also a fast toys ram air kit give you a lil extra punch from 30mph or faster and is worth a tenth and a mph at the track. if you do all this you need some drag radials of some sort and youll have no problems getting low 12's high 11's
Old 01-23-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Hooker LTs......they work fine on lowered cars...
Old 01-23-2005, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I have no problems with clearence with Pacesetter lts and tsp ory with Sportline springs. As far as mods go look at my sig, these mods took me from a 13.0 to a 12.4 and that is w/o a cam on street tires so I would suggest you talk to a sponsor about a nice cam with lts, exhaust and a stall. Just my .02
Old 01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Teching In

any ony got pics of ground clearance please email me with some cliffhome123@aol.com and thank guys for the info