Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulley installation

In a month or so I will probably be ordering an ASP Pulley for my '02 Z28. What I would like to know is what tools I need to perform the installation, how much I should torque the bolts to, and any other general advice to help make the installation as smooth as possible (I've heard it is a real pain). Thanks.

Last edited by Iron Sights; 01-25-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:43 PM
9 Second Club

go and get a three arm gear puller, alright now put your car in 4th gear [m6] and pull the praking brake.use a 24mm socket to brake the crank bolt. if you have a hard time w/ the crank turning get someone to hold the brakes.once the bolt is loose, back the crank bolt out a 1/4" then install the 3 arm puller on the inside of the pulley.once the pulley bottoms out on the crank bolt ,remove it and start the process all over again w/ turning the crank bolt out another 1/4 turn until the pulley comes off.alright now assuming the stock pulley is off.put the new pulley on w/ the old crank bolt.be VERY CAREFUL not to strip the end of the crank bolt off in the crank.this means be easy when tightening,not to torque on it until you are sure some threads are in the crankshaft and turn until you think it cant turn any more.once this is done take out your old crank bolt.now replace it w/ the new crank bolt and torque it to 240lb/ft.some people say 200lb/ft will work. but I say follow gm torque specs[240lb/ft].that should be it now install your new belt and let'r rip this might seem hard but be patience it'll work just fine

Last edited by smokeum99ta; 01-25-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

I would suggest getting a new bolt or the ARP bolt kit from thunder, its 24 bucks but reusable, i wouldnt reccomend using the same bolt. I bought this part yesterday and should be here by the end of the week, im installing it over spring break when i go home from college.

I heard pepboys can rent the 240 lb/ft wrench and 3 arm gear puller, all you do is put down a deposit and return it and you it back. Is this true?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
I would suggest getting a new bolt or the ARP bolt kit from thunder, its 24 bucks but reusable, i wouldnt reccomend using the same bolt. I bought this part yesterday and should be here by the end of the week, im installing it over spring break when i go home from college.

I heard pepboys can rent the 240 lb/ft wrench and 3 arm gear puller, all you do is put down a deposit and return it and you it back. Is this true?
yes sir ,pep boys ,autozone,advanced auto parts,and many more auto parts store does lend tools.
and I did say use a new bolt after you install it w/ the old bolt.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the harmonic balancer bolt the bolt I am looking for (comes with the package I'm ordering) or is it a separate bolt.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
yes sir ,pep boys ,autozone,advanced auto parts,and many more auto parts store does lend tools.
and I did say use a new bolt after you install it w/ the old bolt.

Yeah after you edited it
Old 01-25-2005, 06:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
Is the harmonic balancer bolt the bolt I am looking for (comes with the package I'm ordering) or is it a separate bolt.
yes the harmonic balancer/crank bolt is the bolt you put back in after the pulley is installed with the old bolt. unless you choose to get a longer bolt for removal/ install preposes only.the bolt should be about 1"longer than the stock crank bolt.the prepose of this is so that you dont damage the threads in the crankshaft
Old 01-25-2005, 06:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
Yeah after you edited it
you caught me ! 3 little letters N E W
Old 01-25-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
you caught me ! 3 little letters N E W

Lol I know, all in good fun buddy
Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Banned

Here is the best tip I can give you on removing the factory bolt (that B@##h is on there). Get the socket and breaker bar, put it on the bolt and lay the end of the handle on the ground (driver's side).Pop the hood and disconnect the big harness wires going to the coils. (They are the big white connectors.) You will see one connector per side. Put car in neutral and turn the key for a quick second. The car will not start because you took off the connectors to the coil. You wont even break a sweat!!! Good luck

P.S. don't turn the key if you don't have the coils disconnected!!!!!!!!! You can imagine what would happen.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Put your balancer in the oven at 250 for half an hour. Then it slides on enough to put it on with a bolt without damaging anything (& NO hammering!)