Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug install, quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark Plug install, quick question.

Ok, my last car was a 300zx so im pretty used to crammed engine bays, but i thought id ask before i started on it tomorow, but how hard is it really to get to the rear spark plugs on a 02 LS1? I have no idea if its just a PITA compared to normal domestics or even for well versed mechanics is it a hard chore? I just got done doing the stealth nitrous install, and need to swap out these plugs and get rid of the cats so i can start tuning. So if anyone has any quick tips, or links, it would be nice. I just always like to read a little about the job before i do it, you never know, even on a simple job like changing the oil, there could be something odd about that one car, and the last thing im going to do is mess up. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is easier if you take the coilpacks off first before you change them, they are easy to take off and your hands will thank you.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Is that really about it, other than being in a tight space, just remove all the coils for a little extra room? i havent really gotten in there to look at the back plugs, but so far it just looked a little time consuming.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are removing the cats, do it before the plug install. That should make it a piece of cake to get the rear plug on the pass. side (that was the only one that really gave me any trouble. Also, I was really happy that I bought a swiveled spark plug socket and offset 3/8's ratchet (w/ adjustable head) from sears. That made things much easier also. I left my coil packs in place, just removed the AIR pipe on the pass. side. You will see what all you need to do when you get in there
Old 02-13-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't that bad, but worse than some other cars I have worked on. A good idea as mentioned is to remove the coil packs. You can do this by removing the bracket that holds all of the coil packs to the valve cover. I think there are like 5 bolts on each side. On the passenger side, one of these bolts is in the very back and is a major PITA to get to. I just left it off when puting everything back together so I didnt have to deal with it again. A few extensions make it easier to take the plugs out. Some people find it easier to get #8 out from under the car, but I used a spark plug socket, small 1.5" extension, and a 3/8" ratchet to get it from the top. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like some creativity may come into play. I was planning on holding off on the cats until Thursday, but i might do it all at once now. Or try it from the top and if i get frustrated ill go ahead and take the cats off.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah I left my back bolt out of my coil pack also, that thing is a PITA but future removal is so easy. I forgot the stock obstructions, I don't have the air system and have longtubes, and didn't change my plugs till after I had them, my car had less than 500 miles on it before the header install...lol
Old 02-13-2005, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

I bought my car in December with less than 16k miles. It now has Fast toys induction, K&N filter, Direct flow lid, smooth bellow, loudmouth exhaust with borla muffler, nitrous system, mines also a painted slicktop with 323;s, LS6 block, and LS6 intake.