Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks/GMMG or Hooker/Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks/GMMG or Hooker/Magnaflow

Looking for a full exhaust setup (LT's, catted-Y, catback). I know kooks LT/GMMG is the best and deepest sounding (I want DEEP), but I've heard magnaflow and I like that sound too. The Hooker LT/magnaflow combo is much cheaper. Is it worth spending the extra 300-400 bucks for the better combo. Do you guys have any subjective opinions on power gains and sound quality to give me? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Sorry, meant to post this in the "external engine" forum. Mods, feel free to move me.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

it would be between hooker and magnaflow if i were u. they are both reasonably priced and both sound great. its good that u are going with a catted y pipe cuz that will eliminate any rasp u may have. id say the advantage the magnaflow has is for one....its stainless and looks nice....and two it flows a lil better. but then again u can get the hooker for under 300 bucks, and it sounds kickass too. i dont see a reason to spend another 3-400 dollars. id go with the hooker/hooker combo.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I reccomend Kooks stepped headers, run stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 and I was pleased with the results. Bottom line get Kooks!!
Old 02-28-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have Kook's stainless and a GMMG, I wouldn't even consider another system.
FWIW, if you go with this setup don't bother with a cutout. It did nothing for me.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

w/Cats - GMMG
w/o Cats - Magnaflow & Cutout

Cats are gonna cost you some power. If you ever plan on going catless, stay away from the LM/GMMG set-ups. The rasp will drive you insane

Oh yeah... and Kooks all the way.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

I have QTP's, ORY, GMMG and I think it sounds pretty damn good, rasp at 1900, but after that , Just a little too loud for me though. Never heard LT's, ORY, Magnaflow, would like to though....
Old 02-28-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
I have QTP's, ORY, GMMG and I think it sounds pretty damn good, rasp at 1900, but after that , Just a little too loud for me though. Never heard LT's, ORY, Magnaflow, would like to though....
If you are ever in MA or Western PA, I'll hook you up. I think it sounds awesome, you can control it when you want to, but over 3/4 throttle and it'll bark pretty good! I have a couple track passes on video with it before the cutout, but I'm still on a dial-up
Old 02-28-2005, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

if money tight get hte Magnaflow-but there is no substitute for Stainless Steel Headers! Kooks or QTP dont settle for less! (then theres PPC and Stainless Works)

EDIT: QTP has a header sale going on at this time-swing buy it in the Sponsors and Group Purchase forum

Last edited by 02WS6Bird; 02-28-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:38 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Kooks is the way to go!! I have been selling them for a very long time & nothing but satisfied customers!! Please email or pm me for super pricing on Kooks!! I keep them on the shelf and can ship same day most of the time!!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

I have the kooks headers and catted y and gmmg,I love it best thing I ever did to the car always getting compliments and how good it sounds.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kooks all the way for headers....as for the catback....I was set on GMMG but said **** it, and am gonna get Lanes true duals, and get it run out the back a few months later. its only gonna run me $300 more and it'll sound so freakin awesome. i'll have cutouts welded in so i'll be able to install e-cutouts when i'm not broke again, so i can run dumps or out the back.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Kooks all the way for headers....as for the catback....I was set on GMMG but said **** it, and am gonna get Lanes true duals, and get it run out the back a few months later. its only gonna run me $300 more and it'll sound so freakin awesome. i'll have cutouts welded in so i'll be able to install e-cutouts when i'm not broke again, so i can run dumps or out the back.
That's kind of what I was going to do. I wanted QTP or Kooks and I'm going with Lane's duals. I went with QTP because of the sale. I'm going to take the duals under the axle and out the back (looks funny not to on a T/A). Anyway, the true dual setup out the back is A LOT cheaper than a catted-y/cheap catback/cutout setup. So that's what I decided to do. I got the headers today and I'm ordering Lane's duals real soon. After I get them installed, I'll decide what exactly I want to do to take them under the axle (I've got several ideas).
Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Second Club

Get the Kooks and GMMG if you can afford it
Old 03-01-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

matts22, it sucks you're in missouri!! i live about 15 mins from Lane's shop, so he'll be doing all the work on mine, and i'll be going over the axle. its more expensive, but better for clearance. should be ~500 more for cutouts and over the axle, on top of his normal dumped setup. i think that will be the best all around setup possible, no rasp and the ability to stealth around town when the Man wants to ride my ***.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
matts22, it sucks you're in missouri!! i live about 15 mins from Lane's shop, so he'll be doing all the work on mine, and i'll be going over the axle. its more expensive, but better for clearance. should be ~500 more for cutouts and over the axle, on top of his normal dumped setup. i think that will be the best all around setup possible, no rasp and the ability to stealth around town when the Man wants to ride my ***.
Yeah I considered going this route. I live in SW Missouri, so it would only be a 5-6 hour drive to Lane's shop. But, I have a drive on lift, so I might as well do the install myself. Plus, I'm doing headers at the same time (just got QTP's), and couldn't drive with open headers that far. I would love to go over the axle, but I don't want to have to remove the upper PHB, and I have seen lots of pictures that show plenty of clearance under the axle. If I don't end up liking the under the axle, I'll drive down and have Lane take it over the axle probably.

I've got a lot of ideas on what I want to do under the axle. I'm ordering a 3" dumped system from him and I'm going to weld on flanges. I'm not sure whether I'll reduce to 2.5" or stay at 3". I also don't know if I'll try to make it mandrel bent or not. I also considered using Dr. Gas frame clearance tubes under the axle to give a little more clearance.

I know it might be a PITA every once in a while, but I don't think it would be that bad, and it gives me money to spend on other mods. With flanges, anytime I need to get the car on a 2 post lift, I'll just unbolt it. I have a drive on lift, so 95% of the time, it won't be a problem at all.

Anyway, post pictures when you get your setup done. I'll be sure to do the same, but it will be May most likely--I want to get HPTuners first, and I don't have time to install now anyway.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smallwood
I have Kook's stainless and a GMMG, I wouldn't even consider another system.
FWIW, if you go with this setup don't bother with a cutout. It did nothing for me.
I've heard Smallwood's setup and it does sound great. I would say go with the Kook's. That's what I have.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Teching In

I was also recommended Pacesetter/magnaflow (catted). Does anybody have this setup or has heard this setup before? By the looks of things, I think I am going to go with that for cost.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KJ@SDPC
Kooks is the way to go!! I have been selling them for a very long time & nothing but satisfied customers!! Please email or pm me for super pricing on Kooks!! I keep them on the shelf and can ship same day most of the time!!

I have QTP and the only butt weld on the primaries was only tacked.The collector was bent very bad, and the flanges were only bond welded on the head side. ie tig welded with the tungston extended out of the cup and sharpened and you hold a close arc and just bond the two with no wire.Tig welding is very strong but the other side of the flange had only 3/8 inch or so rodded tig weld, and only one on each.I welded it all up right and straightened out the collector and installed them. The pass side hit the k member so bad i had to notch it almost 1 1/2 inches !! to clear with 1/4 inch for torque clearance and this was with the header bolts loosened and the header pulled dead lock away from it.( bad for flow). I called them at this point which was months later because it was a long project and they sat awhile getting fixed and also waiting on other parts that took just as long to get as they did. By this time they said they changed the design and would only give me one leaving me with two different headers ( alot different).. even though they were not used, time had passed, and he said that is why.But i did notice later many months later when i had sdpc parts that i did not need they did not even ask when i purchased them and gave me a total refund. I have never seen a set of kooks with these or any issues and when i go stage three with my motor, i will buy kooks period. Best quality then will come the pretty pretty k member. Sorry so long just had to vent a little.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robss01
I was also recommended Pacesetter/magnaflow (catted). Does anybody have this setup or has heard this setup before? By the looks of things, I think I am going to go with that for cost.
I have this except for the cats (ORY) and it sounds good. It's funny but more of the sound comes out of my passenger side pipe (path of least resistance). It's pretty low at part throttle but WOT it screams.