Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaner S3 Rocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Shaner S3 Rocks!!!

Just installed the Shaner S3 that I bought from a member here. That tb is a work of art!!!! You CAN feel the difference up top and throttle response is a bit more crisp. Looks like it was CNC'd. If you don't have one yet it's the best money spent on a throttle body! It'll really help when I do the cam next month.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

****** A man....thats my next mod after my h/c swap this weekend!!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

looks like it was CNC'd? prolly cuz it is..... shaner does great work. so do i, and bo white as well

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 02-26-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know why I've waited so long for this mod. I'm going to be getting mine ported by Bo White very shortly.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Just installed the Shaner S3 that I bought from a member here. That tb is a work of art!!!! You CAN feel the difference up top and throttle response is a bit more crisp. Looks like it was CNC'd. If you don't have one yet it's the best money spent on a throttle body! It'll really help when I do the cam next month.

I just installed one on my H/C C5. I dynoed before and after. I got 7rwhp and 9rwtq...

Old 02-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Bad *** mod.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

Talking

The only bad part about it was that Shaner didn't do the half shaft mod. I traded my stock one for the S3 plus $100. The seller was putting his car back to stock to sell. I didn't port the stock, but I previously did a clean job on the half shaft. When I got the S3 I swapped the shaft for the one I already did and THAT made it "perfect"
Old 02-25-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the half shaft mod? I ported my own tb, but don't know whath that shaft mod is, thanks!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
looks like it was CNC'd? prolly cuz it is..... shaner does great work. so do i, and bo white as well
Sure if you want a 1/2lb of epoxy in your TB.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
What's the half shaft mod? I ported my own tb, but don't know whath that shaft mod is, thanks!
The half shaft mod is when you remove the butterfly plate,throttle position sensor, and tap the shaft out of the main body. Then you take a Dremel tool or hacksaw blade to remove the "front half" of the shaft that the butterfly screws go through. ( shorten the screws too) When you reassemble and you go WOT you won't have that big "hump" on the top half of the throttle blade messing up airflow. That's the half shaft mod.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by technical
Sure if you want a 1/2lb of epoxy in your TB.
hahaha thats funny. epoxy, no epoxy, whatever you want. i've done tb's w/o epoxy that came out very nicely. i've been testing quite a few different compounds. and the actual amount used.....i'll weigh it sometime. i'm willing to bet its pretty light compared to what you may think.

FIREHAWK#608, very nice explanation of the half-shaft mod!! it does wonders for part-throttle airflow.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

I am sure he doesn't do the half-shaft mod because there are only marginal gains to be had, and it significantly reduces the structural integrity of the throttle shaft. I am glad it wasn't done.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually the half-shaft mod has been tested to over 16# of boost....w/o any issues. There aren't even any threads on the top part of the shaft...just the bottom

Yes, in theory you may be lessening the integrity of the shaft a slight bit.....but for all intent and purpose I don't know anyone on this board that is running enough boost and is still using the stock tb for it to matter. The small theoretical loss is so minimal as to be neglible on most any LS1 motor out there. Are you going to be running 25# on an ls1 motor anytime soon? 30#? Me either....

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 02-26-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

hahaha thats funny. epoxy, no epoxy, whatever you want. i've done tb's w/o epoxy that came out very nicely. i've been testing quite a few different compounds. and the actual amount used.....i'll weigh it sometime. i'm willing to bet its pretty light compared to what you may think.
HTS-2000 worked pretty good for me. Although it takes considerably more time to complete. It does look better since it's aluminum. And it actually bonds to the metal vs. "sticking" like the epoxy. I was able to get the IAC and PCV ports in a vertical position since the material didn't have to be "pushed" into the back parts of the TB. This left the bore smooth and seamless.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

HTS-2000, eh? i don't mind more time to complete, better results are what matter. i'd rather do 2-4 GREAT tb's a month than 4-6 good ones. where'd you find this stuff @?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

My bad...

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.htm

Check out the video. They show you how to "mold" new aluminum from a steel cast. Pretty trick.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Cypher is right on the half shaft mod. Holley carbs have been this way for decades- the main thing is the remaining part of the shaft is behind the blade at rest which is the main reason its only "slightly" weaker. I have, along with to many to count other guys doin TBs, never seen any ill effects off of the mod other than extra power.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Actually the half-shaft mod has been tested to over 16# of boost....w/o any issues. There aren't even any threads on the top part of the shaft...just the bottom

Yes, in theory you may be lessening the integrity of the shaft a slight bit.....but for all intent and purpose I don't know anyone on this board that is running enough boost and is still using the stock tb for it to matter. The small theoretical loss is so minimal as to be neglible on most any LS1 motor out there. Are you going to be running 25# on an ls1 motor anytime soon? 30#? Me either....
I just hate taking chances....especially after those pics that were posted of the BBK TB with the broken shaft. I would like to have at least one shaft to fall back on, LOL.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Banned

There are countless threads that raz on the BBK throttlebodies. The shaft probably broke because of faulty casting. I've yet to hear of a case where the stock shaft has broken because of the half shaft mod. Doing the half shaft isn't really considered "taking chances". Doing the mod might only show minimal gains, but it's one of those "every little bit counts" types of deal. Plus it looks so much better.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

technical, thats some good ****, but i don't have a torch nor the facilities to use one. wish i did, that looks like it'd be the best of both worlds!!