Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took off the Mufflex/Spintech 4" and put on Bassani Duals (out the back)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Took off the Mufflex/Spintech 4" and put on Bassani Duals (out the back)

Now the car is louder, has more interior noise, and seems to have lost power, particularly on the low end.

For a long time I was told the Mufflex Spintech 4" system was costing me power. Only when I failed the noise test for my car's tags did I resolve myself to replace it. I bought what I was hoping would be the king of all exhausts. Now the car feels lazy WOT in 2nd (I have *alot* of traction), and the interior noise is crazy. Im not convinced that 2 2.5" pipes flow any less than a single 4", and I kept my excellent custom Y-pipe, just removing the Flowmaster collector and plumbing it through 2 3"->2.5" reducers into the X pipe that came with the Bassani.

This bassani is pretty nice... stainless, true duals all the way back... maybe a little heavy... but it doesnt seem to match well to my Grott 1.75" headers or my nice off-road Y pipe... and it is $850 I really dont want to have wasted. I know I wont get my tags with this system on the car

Interestingly, Bassani has these tip-baffles for the Mustang crowd, but they dont have them short enough for the F-body setup.

I should have just sucked it up and bought the SLP Dual Dual even though I was pissed that it was $600.

Im also surprised that such an otherwise nice system can semm to have lost me 20+ lbft (it certainly feels like about that much, though thats not on a dyno)

Old 03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Wait, wait. You have a Y pipe merging into an X pipe?

Edit: sorry, I misread. I see you removed the Y- merge collector.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mtnm2
pics?
Attached is what I built to go from the headers into the dual intermediates. There are two bullet mufflers on the Y that were there before. Prior, they made a nice difference in resonance... they don't anymore. I had to "clearance" one to fit better under the car.

Here's the back of the system on a different car...

Attached Thumbnails Took off the Mufflex/Spintech 4" and put on Bassani Duals (out the back)-img_3869s.jpg  
Old 03-01-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dual/Dual is by far one of the best systems out. It always sucks to be one of the first to get a product that is not proven in the real world. Just sell it and get the D/D. Then you'll have your hp and the quietness.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, we'll see. I'll see what I can do with HP Tuner. The car seems weird all around... the idle is a little too high, the car hesitates right after I shift, etc. etc. It feels like it is pulling a bunch of timing too. So perhaps there is more to this than just the exhaust.

Its a very straightforward design, and if it had lost anything, I would have believed (and been fine with) like 5ftlb or so. Thats all there really is between most of the catbacks out there (other than Flowmaster).
Old 03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont get this exhaust. A true dual with both pipes run down the same side tells me that it is designed for clearance, but the pipes dont even use the tunnel. They are completely below the floorpan which tells me clearance would better on a tsp style x pipe setup. The x doesnt look like it works very good either. It looks more like a curved h pipe.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The Dual/Dual is by far one of the best systems out. It always sucks to be one of the first to get a product that is not proven in the real world. Just sell it and get the D/D. Then you'll have your hp and the quietness.
i have this on both cars i have.
it's be proven to work. there's dynos and track times i put up in the threads i started. i'll have dynos soon comparing it to the borla i just took off the wife's car. what i did notice about the bassani over the borla was the bassani has better upper rpm pulling now.

not sure why the interior noise went up in his car. compared to the borla, it got rid of the high pitch and cut the interior volume down to a nicer level on her car. can hear the radio again without having to turn it up real high.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I dont get this exhaust. A true dual with both pipes run down the same side tells me that it is designed for clearance, but the pipes dont even use the tunnel. They are completely below the floorpan which tells me clearance would better on a tsp style x pipe setup. The x doesnt look like it works very good either. It looks more like a curved h pipe.
i have absolutely zero ground clearance issues on both cars i have it on.
here's a better pic of the x-pipe. i never did take a pic of the inside of it.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

here's the stock exhaust vs bassani tru-dual from my car. maybe next week sometime i can get the wife's back on the dyno and see how it compares to the borla.

now, this dyno was in second gear starting at 10 mph (700 rpm). the dyno didn't start graphing until 2200ish. problem with winpep7 is that if there is too much TC slip vs speed of rollers, it'll throw out the data until it thinks the two are more inline with itself.

to show you what i'm saying about the loss of data due to TC slippage, here's my dyno on vinci's original DOS based dynojet. you'll see the torque spike at 700 rpm (10 mph) until 2200 ish. and when the TC slip stopped, the curve dropped and started picking back up. and that's where winpep7 started graphing.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

As I said, I don't expect, and didnt, this exhaust to make much more/less than most decent catbacks out there. As far as noise, you are listening to a stock cam car with cats and stock manifolds. I have long tubes, no cats, and a 236/236 cam on a 112. All of those factors contribute significantly to noise, of course.

Magnaflow has a stainless dual/dual muffler, part #14468, that I might try replacing the Bassani with. All of the noise sounds like it is coming from the rear bumper, so I can probably solve my issues with the right muffler. Ive always had incredible results with Magnaflow as far as noise/flow.

I should also note that the exhaust sounded nice and quiet for the first.... 10 minutes of driving. I was very excited initially
Old 03-03-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrr23
i have absolutely zero ground clearance issues on both cars i have it on.
Yeah, ground clearance is not an issue at all, and the car is lowered 2" or so. The ground clearance is one significant improvement over the Mufflex 4" setup.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Visceral
...when I failed the noise test for my car's tags...
A what test? Remind me not to move to Portland.
I might be selling my SLP D/D if you don't go the magnaflow route.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by technical
A what test? Remind me not to move to Portland.
I might be selling my SLP D/D if you don't go the magnaflow route.
Its all perspective. The car sails through the emmissions part with no cats, stinking up the Test Station, and was loud as sh*t. (HP Tuners)

I can throw some tip baffles in and pass. On the other hand, a bunch of these annoying ricers have to get rid of their fart cans because they have no idea how to make them quiet (or even sound good).

I'm OK with that.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I have the type of setup you are describing, only done custom made, and it doesn't use the tunnel, and I'm glad it doesn't. Clearance is not an issue...you'll just have to trust me on that one. I guarantee you the TSP system hangs lower than what he has shown above, unless someone has done some massaging of the TSP system.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd like to see some pics of this system installed, to see the ground clearance and exactly how/where you have the pipes ran.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

One problem I see, which is VERY important - is that with long-tubes, I'm sure you have 3" collectors. You want to match the X crossover size with the collector size.

I had the 2.5" Bassani X on my car at one time, with 2.5" collector Macs - and it made the same power as the Dr Gas setups I had on the car - so the crossover works well. But - 3" LT's into a 2.5" crossover is going to hurt you some. I can't imagine it losing as much power as you feel, but there is a lot of tubing in that system. Who know's, until you get it on the dyno.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Visceral
As I said, I don't expect, and didnt, this exhaust to make much more/less than most decent catbacks out there. As far as noise, you are listening to a stock cam car with cats and stock manifolds. I have long tubes, no cats, and a 236/236 cam on a 112. All of those factors contribute significantly to noise, of course.

I should also note that the exhaust sounded nice and quiet for the first.... 10 minutes of driving. I was very excited initially

remember, i have this bassani on BOTH cars. the sounds i was refering to was on the wife's 99 formula. it has the stock cam, bassani 1 3/4 optimum length headers and hollowed cats. the borla was just too loud at that point. and it had the small open plate in it.

yes, my 00 formula, it is stock manifolds and stock cats. and it's much quieter. i finally got the sound clips for the wife's car today. i'll put it and the borla sound clip up shortly. both sound clips done same day.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

here's the sound clips as promised. it's on my own website. so, be nice to my bandwidth.

borla

bassani
Old 03-03-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lane
One problem I see, which is VERY important - is that with long-tubes, I'm sure you have 3" collectors. You want to match the X crossover size with the collector size.

I had the 2.5" Bassani X on my car at one time, with 2.5" collector Macs - and it made the same power as the Dr Gas setups I had on the car - so the crossover works well. But - 3" LT's into a 2.5" crossover is going to hurt you some. I can't imagine it losing as much power as you feel, but there is a lot of tubing in that system. Who know's, until you get it on the dyno.

Good luck.
Thanks Lane... Im going ot have to work out how to solve that. Would it then be OK to attach a 3" X to two 3-> 2.5" reducers and then into the two pipes that make up the intermediate? I'd remove the reducers from the Y and run the 3" collectors into the 3" X

Combine that with the quieter Magnaflow dual/dual muffler and I will have spent WAY too much money on this.