Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

closest elbow on passenger valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default closest elbow on passenger valve cover

on the passenger valve cover the first elbow where a hose goes from it to the throttle body what is it for is it to let fresh air into the valve cover or to suck pressure from the valve cover into the throttle body similiar to the pcv valve if so why couldnt i close off the throttle body elbow and run that line into the pcv valve line? would that work? gains and negatives of doing this right now i have it capped off with a lil filter on the valve cover elbow thanks guys
Old 03-02-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
is it to let fresh air into the valve cover or to suck pressure from the valve cover into the throttle body similiar to the pcv valve
Yes. Well, sort of. The PCV system works in two directions. At idle, the crankcase pressure is sucked from the valve side. Under load the ariflow reverses and is sucked back into the TB. There is no real performance gain from doing anything to the PCV system. There is a drawback of doing what you have done. Unmetered air is getting into the intake by way of the "lil" filter through the crankcase then through the PCV valve into the intake. You're making the computer think the engine is running lean.

If you took off the TB elbow and put that into the PCV line, then you'll suck the oil out of the crankcase and into the intake.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

so cant i take that line and run it into a tee before the pcv valve and then the pcv line into the intake and cap off the TB would that hurt anything just suck it out with the pcv?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

You'll still have the intake pulling vacuum in the crankcase.
And if you put a filter on the other side of the tee, then you'll have a massive vacuum leak.

Why are you trying to delete the TB hose?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks better and i pulled the throttle body off and had oil and condensation in that hole where it goes was nasty as hell couldnt be good.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

If you just want to make things look nice, then drop the whole PCV system entirely and just put breathers on the valve covers. Just make sure to cap the TB elbow and the intake port where the PCV valve enters.

Jantzer sells some nice smoothed valve covers. Then you could relocate the ignition coils to the back of the engine and achieve a nice clean look.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

isnt it bad to just get rid of it completly though? What effects do you have getting rid of it completly
Old 03-03-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Increased crankcase pressure.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that ain't good! Could i run a hose from driver back elbow to passenger back elbow to passenger front elbow then to a catch can then to the intake without a pcv valve in the line. or skip the catch can and put a pcv valve in there just trying to get options here thanks for all the help on this i am not the best on this pcv stuff