Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering going back to true duals....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default considering going back to true duals....

well, this is the second time i have sold my true duals and gone back to a y pipe catback setup. but i miss that sound so bad it hurts!!! the main reason i got rid of them is because the whole interior of the car vibrated to no end every time i shifted i got tired of it after a while. well, this catback thing has a nice "sleeper" vibe to it, but i miss the muscle sound of the true duals :sad: i was wondering if maybe my system wasnt setup right...and thats why i was getting the bad vibration. anyone else experienced this vibration im talking about?? i dont mind the loud sound, but that vibration was irritating after a while. is there a way to cure that? also, the bullets gave me a bad clearance problem. the top of the x pipe wasnt the problem but the bullets gave me shitty clearance. if i go with duals again, i will definitely be going with sweet thunder mufflers. i like the sound a whole lot. do they give better clearance than the bullets?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

I gained quite a bit of clearance with the sweet thunders over the bullets. Not only do they have a 3 inch diameter instead of 4, but you can tuck them up higher. So, you could potentialy gain an inch of clearance. The monkey I had weld my system together f'd up though, so I decided to order some duals from Lane and sell my setup.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about dumps before the axles causing drone? I have true duals out the back and don't have a vibration problem. I had to clearance a few places that were hitting on the floorboard, but no big deal. Run the pipes over the axle and put the bullets in the back instead of under the floorpan. Makes for more clearance and less noise in the cockpit.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i had them dumped before the axle. i am not spending the money to have both pipes go over/under the axle. im thinking of going with lanes setup with a smaller diameter muffler for better clearance. im still wondering how to cut down on that interior vibration i use to get every time i shifted. i guess its because they were bullets....or maybe just because of where they were placed right beneath the floorboard. any ideas?
hey kpower82, do u have your lanes system yet?
Old 03-19-2005, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Wickid Z]yeah i had them dumped before the axle. i am not spending the money to have both pipes go over/under the axle.

Ahh.... how many exhaust system's have you spent $$$ on already? Why not just do it right for the last time and do it over the axle out the back and be happy.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:21 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=smokin' joe 00 ss]
Originally Posted by Wickid Z
yeah i had them dumped before the axle. i am not spending the money to have both pipes go over/under the axle.

Ahh.... how many exhaust system's have you spent $$$ on already? Why not just do it right for the last time and do it over the axle out the back and be happy.
Definately the way to do TD's.

I've done the Y to X to Y thing also. I'm really liking the QTP Dual Cutout ORY. Between the open cutouts (insanity) and the smooth deep sound of the SLP 2OTL catback, I don't miss my ol' X-pipe at all (though it sounded great also).
Old 03-19-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=smokin' joe 00 ss]
yeah i had them dumped before the axle. i am not spending the money to have both pipes go over/under the axle.

well, i really dont know anyone around here who can custom fab that kind of system.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

I don't see how you plan on getting rid of the noise and vibrations with the exhaust exiting right under your ****. You've tried that plan twice and didn't like the results. Any decent welder with a lift can make a nice exhaust system. Get under the car and draw up some crude plans on what you want and buy some mandrel 90's and 180's from Jegs, Summit or JC Whitney. Bring your plans and parts to several different shops to see if they will work with you. It may not be as pretty as Lane's $1200 setup, but you'll save a ton of money and get the sound you want. The biggest problem you'll have is getting decent sized mufflers to fit somewhere in the equation.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Yup, the change in my ash tray rattles more, but I love the sound. I have the Flo-pro Twisters on, and at 80 mph cruise, its only a little louder..... well it is untill I tromp on her.
http://www.boomspeed.com/bharnz/start.mpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/bharnz/rev.mpg
Old 03-21-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about keeping the Y pipe you have now, and right after the merge, weld on another 3" to dual 2.5" Y pipe (just the Y junction) backwards. This will create an X pipe out of your existing Y pipe. Now you can run both 2.5" pipes down the passenger side and over the axle. This will be my new setup, but I probably wont start with a pre made Y pipe, ill just build it all from scratch.

-Tony
Old 03-21-2005, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

I only got vibrations when I put change in the cup holder. Nothing else vibrated.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
How about keeping the Y pipe you have now, and right after the merge, weld on another 3" to dual 2.5" Y pipe (just the Y junction) backwards. This will create an X pipe out of your existing Y pipe. Now you can run both 2.5" pipes down the passenger side and over the axle. This will be my new setup, but I probably wont start with a pre made Y pipe, ill just build it all from scratch.

-Tony
That will not work at all to scavenge pulses. That is the purpose of an X-pipe. Instead of doing that just skip the X all together and do 2.5" pipe all the way from headers back.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have another run of tsp duals going together with spiral flow mufflers. The last set I tried seemed to take alot of the interior noise out of the car we installed them on.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 03-21-2005, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

I have mine dumping at the sides, but not sticking out from under the body. You can only see them if you look for them. It got rid of the drone, complys with my emission laws as far as the gasses exiting from under the body, and the sound is teriffic. It bounces off other cars, and the buildings. I never want to go any other way.
Here are a few pics.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i really dont know anyone around here who can custom fab that kind of system.
There is a guy in Maryland if your willing to go that far.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
That will not work at all to scavenge pulses. That is the purpose of an X-pipe.
The way that I mean to describe it would turn out looking identical to a siamesed X pipe, which if memory servers correctly, actually scavenges better as well as having a larger cross sectional area than normal straight X pipes. I should have clarified that you dont want to have a 12" section of straight pipe between the two Y merges, as that would not work correctly. Now if youve only got about an inch between the merges, that will work fine.

-T
Old 03-22-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Lane's setup costs $495 no matter if you go 2.5", 3", or choose different size or brand mufflers. It's just $495 plus whatever shipping is, not a bad deal at all considering you get a Dr. Gas X and the kit is custom built and welded so you will not have clearance and install/fitment problems. Plus Texas Speed just started charging shipping for their kit, so the price difference between Lanes and TSP is even smaller.

Jason
Old 03-22-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

nah, ive decided to go with the hooker catback and put a cutout in the i pipe.