Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals Worth It ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True Duals Worth It ?

My car is obnoxiously loud anyhow. What kind of hp are you guys typically picking up? Thanks
Old 03-19-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

No opinions?
Old 03-19-2005, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Real happy with mine, should have done it long time ago
http://www.boomspeed.com/bharnz/start.mpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/bharnz/rev.mpg

No numbers yet, have to wait for the snow to go.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

what kind of mufflers you plannin on? borla will be pretty easy to deal with for loudness whyse, but bullets should be pretty loud, i'll tell ya how my car turns out next weekend
Old 03-19-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

im not sure that the power you gain is worth it, the sound is definately worth it. if your just interested in making the most power get dual electric cutouts.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duals shine in power under the curve, not peak power. Cutouts will typically lose you some low end while gaining on the top end, where duals should make more everywhere over the Y-pipe setup. Especially under the curve!

They are worth it for the sound alone, IMO. Then again I did mine with the headers, which meant I didn't ever have to buy a Y-pipe so the "extra" cost for duals was low.

FWIW: I was running the loudmoth on stock manifolds/cats before I got the headers/duals. Most people said that it is hardly any louder with the duals than the loudmouth. Of course, it's a bit louder now.

Edit: Just to make sure I get this across: Duals are faaaaaaar better than a Y-pipe setup in terms of sound. Why do you think mustangs usually sound nice? They have duals with an H-pipe, tyipally! There are a few Y-pipe setups taht sound nice, like the GMMG, but are way too $$$ and still don't sound BETTER than the duals. If you don't beleive me, listen to my car and then tell me otherwise. Or better yet, listen to a car with duals, sweet thunder chambered mufflers, and a G5X-2. Now THAT is a good, quality, muscle car sound.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

i run sweet thunder duals dumped with hooker headers...i can't tell you power gains cause this is all i've had...along with all the other stuff in the sig...haha...it sounds great though...better than any other f-body i've heard...i think it sounds better than the mustangs...but it is a different tone...
Old 03-19-2005, 04:01 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/291441-hp-td-vs-catback.html
Old 03-19-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the good info guys and the link JRP !
Old 03-19-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with duals being worth it for sound alone. I had a ORY setup and couldn't stand it. Now that I have duals I'm finally happy.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they are worth it for sure. no rasp = happiness
Old 03-20-2005, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

I agree my duals where worth it also, the car now feels better on the low end and mid range then it did with the ory and dynomouth.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4.6gt-2-ls1ta
I agree my duals where worth it also, the car now feels better on the low end and mid range then it did with the ory and dynomouth.

thats the other thing i forgot to mention. I could cruise much easier at lower rpm in 6th gear after. Mid range and low end torque felt significantly better after the duals
Old 03-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Teching In

From what I have seen and heard TD's are they way to go. Why you ask?

Here's why:
1)No Rasp
2)Cheaper then a nice Y-pipe/catback setup
3)Makes more power until you get around 6200-6400 RPMs it starts to make the same power.
4)9 out of 10 people like the sound better, and the 10th is deaf.
5) Texas speed told me it made more power, then they backed it up with dyno charts!
6)If you auto cross or Road race there is more power all across the powerband for when you gonig from a dig on a shap low RPM turn.
7) Tips can be added if you dont like the dumped look, and still would be cheaper then a nice ORY/CatBack setup.

Now it does seem to make the cars sound more like a muscle car then a the ORY/CatBack setup. But then again wasen't the carmaro/firebird a muscle car back in the day?

Sorry for the rant I just wanted to voice my opinion. But hey to each their own, just dont get made at the guy running TD's that is in front of you.

VROOOOM,
Josh
Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SlowImport
From what I have seen and heard TD's are they way to go. Why you ask?

Here's why:
1)No Rasp
2)Cheaper then a nice Y-pipe/catback setup
3)Makes more power until you get around 6200-6400 RPMs it starts to make the same power.
4)9 out of 10 people like the sound better, and the 10th is deaf.
5) Texas speed told me it made more power, then they backed it up with dyno charts!
6)If you auto cross or Road race there is more power all across the powerband for when you gonig from a dig on a shap low RPM turn.
7) Tips can be added if you dont like the dumped look, and still would be cheaper then a nice ORY/CatBack setup.

Now it does seem to make the cars sound more like a muscle car then a the ORY/CatBack setup. But then again wasen't the carmaro/firebird a muscle car back in the day?

Sorry for the rant I just wanted to voice my opinion. But hey to each their own, just dont get made at the guy running TD's that is in front of you.

VROOOOM,
Josh
What are the disadvantages of going with true duals instead of the catback?

Are there any ground clearance issues? I have plenty already.

I'm thinking about junking my borla setup and going w/ true duals myself.

I don't mind the sound of the borla setup, but I'm looking for more power.....
Old 03-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Restricted User

There's a lot of benifits to the duals. My car is lowered an inch with duals and i have yet to rub anything with them. A friend of mine around where i live does them for $400 with mufflers completely installed so for even the cheapest ory-pipe and cat-back you'll still spend more then that on the catback system compared to the duals.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
There's a lot of benifits to the duals. My car is lowered an inch with duals and i have yet to rub anything with them. A friend of mine around where i live does them for $400 with mufflers completely installed so for even the cheapest ory-pipe and cat-back you'll still spend more then that on the catback system compared to the duals.

Thats cool, thanks
Old 03-20-2005, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Disadvantages to duals:
Expensive to go past the axle. Not everybody likes the look without the exhaust pipes when they get dumps, which is what they get because of the price. There are occasional uninvited smells/fumes, but it's really not that big of a deal and I wouldn't base my exhaust selection on that. The better power, economical price, and sound combined make it a no brainer for me.

Edit: Almost forgot, ground clearance. Properly done duals will have adequate ground clearance. A 3" Y-pipe isn't going to be any better.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just installed my duals today. They are dumped before the axle. There is a smell but I think it is cool. the power pick up is really good. The sound of the system is really cool, at idle or low rpms the car sounds like my old borla with no plate, but as soon as you get into it man! I am very pleased with my selection overall.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

looking to put a set of cherry bombs under the car.....they are 4x10x14".....doing an x pipe with full lengths....imma hoping they dont hang down too low