Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost 8 hp with cutout

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost 8 hp with cutout

i dynoed with and without a cutout, i made 291 with and 299 without the cutout. wondering why that would be. also wondering would the cap affect my fuel/air ration?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe you lost to much backpressure. Its not unheard of for cutouts to have a negative effect, mine however worked to the number of 1/10th off my 1/4 mile time.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure, but I believe that it does affect the air/fuel ratio a little when it's uncapped. I gained 10 rwhp with the cutout uncapped over it capped up running through an old aluminized Magnaflow muffler that I used to have.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

i have my cutout right after my passenger cat, on the right side of the car. would that be a problem? think it would help if i moved it to the i-pipe?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by violator3434
i have my cutout right after my passenger cat, on the right side of the car. would that be a problem? think it would help if i moved it to the i-pipe?
Yes that is your problem. Having one side open and unrestricted, and the other not, no. Put it in the i-pipe.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

k ill be visiting the muffler shop tommorow
Old 03-21-2005, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i pick up a tenth in the 1/4 with mine open and mine is after the axle
Old 03-21-2005, 06:25 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by CRL 01 SS
Not sure, but I believe that it does affect the air/fuel ratio a little when it's uncapped. I gained 10 rwhp with the cutout uncapped over it capped up running through an old aluminized Magnaflow muffler that I used to have.

how would it affect a/f? its exhaust...
Old 03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

thats wierd... there has to be something else going on... for the most part exhaust systems are restrictive.. a cutout... releases all that trapped air and increases flow yielding to a higher output of gases...

what are the rest of your mods???
was the car dynoed open vs. closed on the same day? has your car even been tuned?

i personally gain about 18-20RWHP with my cutout open..
Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
how would it affect a/f? its exhaust...

Free flowing exhaust makes your car run leaner, computer compensates with too much fuel
Old 03-21-2005, 08:38 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
Free flowing exhaust makes your car run leaner, computer compensates with too much fuel

oh right. stupid technology. lol
Old 03-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Durien
thats wierd... there has to be something else going on... for the most part exhaust systems are restrictive.. a cutout... releases all that trapped air and increases flow yielding to a higher output of gases...

what are the rest of your mods???
was the car dynoed open vs. closed on the same day? has your car even been tuned?

i personally gain about 18-20RWHP with my cutout open..
yea it was dyno the same day, nothin to major just basically lid and fra mod i did change the wires to taylor and spark plugs to ngk-tr6.

i went to the muffler shop today, and had him move the cutout to my i-pipe there was a spot that looked like it was perfect for it. its alot quieter now and makes a ugly noise when i take off from idle. also he replaced my driver side pipe that was all flatten with a bigger round pipe. he said it should help the it flow more.

hope this will help my power out now, its hard to tell what im making just driving it.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude,you put the cutout on only one side of your exhaust? mine is at the end of my y- pipe. i gained 9hp and 8tq when opened. the new set up should help you.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike c.
dude,you put the cutout on only one side of your exhaust? mine is at the end of my y- pipe. i gained 9hp and 8tq when opened. the new set up should help you.
My car has never been dynoed but I never
noticed any change in e.t. with or without cut out.
I consider it an exhaust sound mod.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i put my dual cutouts in it seemed like everyday it ran a little stronger for about a week. then it still ran a little rich, but not enough for me to spend the money for a tune........i'll pry get it tuned this spring.....with the pcm, i don't think you'll get the full performance effect if you just uncap it at the dyno(without tuning) or the track, the pcm takes a while to adjust to it.....that's what i've gathered from talking to a few people and my personal experience, i don't have any technical info to back my opinion up.....
Old 03-22-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you drive around with the cutout open, the PCM will set LTFTs to compensate and you're likely to run the same or worse than before.
If you are running on the rich side corked up, and then only uncork when you are making a pass, then you'll definately gain significant power.
To avoid bad reversion at the lower RPMs you mount the cutout as far away from the engine as possible.
To the original poster, why in the world are you running CATs in the first place?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just read what i posted and i didn't write it very cleary.....everyday for a week after i went to the headers and open dual cutouts it kept running stronger, never did it stop running good(other than a little rich). what i meant was that it seemed to take that long for the pcm to get used to all the extra air flow. i'm actually afraid that if i get a tune with the cutouts opened that it will effect the tune if i then close them for a while....maybe that shows my ignorance right there....
i think the first poster had cats because he was in california
Old 03-22-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

well john,go to the dyno and see. mine dynoed 9hp when opened. to me and others that have dynoed,it's more then just a sound mod.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I gained ET & MPH testing mine on back to back runs at the track.

BTW, back pressure is NOT good. Any time you get rid of back pressure you'll get a performance increase so long as the tuning takes the change into account.

A single cut-out on the I-pipe almost always works to increase performance on our cars. To loose power is very unusual, even when the tune is unchanged.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
I gained ET & MPH testing mine on back to back runs at the track.

BTW, back pressure is NOT good. Any time you get rid of back pressure you'll get a performance increase so long as the tuning takes the change into account.

A single cut-out on the I-pipe almost always works to increase performance on our cars. To loose power is very unusual, even when the tune is unchanged.

Yeah, if anything, a cutout will give you a higher peak tq (yet higher in the rev range), therefore one feels like there's a loss of tq down low, but in fact, the car is making more peak tq overall up high (where it needs it for track times).