Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CME and true duals both a must have for me...under the axle Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CME and true duals both a must have for me...under the axle Q's

Hey guys i am having Lane build me some true duals to dump under the car, but i want to have them go out the back with a CME kit. They are both must haves for me. what is the best way for me to go about this.

i have a friend with an exhaust shop that will take care of me as far as getting the pipes out the back under the axle. i will buy whatever mandrel bent piping is needed to do it, however i need to know how it is normally done under the axle. possibly detailed pictures or specific instruction of the best way. also comments on what you think about under the axle.

Thanks
Louie Panayi
Old 03-21-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/275292-pics-under-axle-true-duals-56k-long-time.html
Old 03-21-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

thanks mike, i remember that thread that is what first gave me the idea, however i dont see many others getting them under the axle and i am thinking about the possible negatives about it. i see that in the thread they weleded a flange for easy removal if/when rear end/exhaust needs to come out. i will also do that. another thing that i noticed is that they seemed to use no bends...that is interesting. i guess i am curious where they mounted the visible exhaust mounts to and whether or not they are any banging or clanking issues that would be very bad.

Thanks guys
Louie
Old 03-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

maybe you can get some corvette mufflers because they are center mount
Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by half-n-half
thanks mike, i remember that thread that is what first gave me the idea, however i dont see many others getting them under the axle and i am thinking about the possible negatives about it. i see that in the thread they weleded a flange for easy removal if/when rear end/exhaust needs to come out. i will also do that. another thing that i noticed is that they seemed to use no bends...that is interesting. i guess i am curious where they mounted the visible exhaust mounts to and whether or not they are any banging or clanking issues that would be very bad.

Thanks guys
Louie
im about to run my duals out the back soon under the axle...

yah make sure you can remove the rear section, they used no bends probably to reduce cost...the pipes are just angle cut. i wouldn't worry about how to hang the pipes in the back, you can always find a good place. the rear should never come in contact with the pipes out the back unless you jack the car up without supporting the rearend...there is no way the pipes would hit the axle tubes with the car on the ground.

im going to use two 3in flanges, two 3in to 2.5 reducer flanges, four 45 degree mandrel bends, and some 2.5 inch pipe to run mine out the back...

i went on summit and all the flanges, bends, tubing, and hangers were under $150 dollars
Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

yeah i was thinking about getting mandrel bends...we will see once i get the dual installed. I figure that for me the perfect setup would be Lts, TDs, then under the axle out the back, to near factory exhaust exit, then the CME exhaust tips with a 90 degree bend on each and then connected, just like everonen else runs their CME. Then of course the CME Valence.

That is my perfect exhaust setup and that is what i will do! Thanks!

The only thing that concerned me is if there were any real bad side effects to going under the axle, however it seems that their are not, so i should be in great shape.

Thanks again
Louie Panayi
Old 03-22-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by half-n-half
yeah i was thinking about getting mandrel bends...we will see once i get the dual installed. I figure that for me the perfect setup would be Lts, TDs, then under the axle out the back, to near factory exhaust exit, then the CME exhaust tips with a 90 degree bend on each and then connected, just like everonen else runs their CME. Then of course the CME Valence.

That is my perfect exhaust setup and that is what i will do! Thanks!

The only thing that concerned me is if there were any real bad side effects to going under the axle, however it seems that their are not, so i should be in great shape.

Thanks again
Louie Panayi
i think the main drawback is that they are supposed to look "cheap" being run under the axle out the back...

Old 03-22-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

if it sounds good, doesnt rattle, clank, hit, bump, suffocate me with fumes, overpower my interior stereo/talking on the phone/chatting with gf, etc i will be perfectly satisfied. if the exhaust shop feels that if i get the tubes they can take it over the axle well then i will definately do it. i will just leave the pro-flo twisters under the car and run just pipes out the back. maybe go to a 2.5 in pipe after the twisters, cause i doubt that it will the restricitive...do you guys think 2.5 in will be more restrictive and cause hp loss? i figure since after the twisters the 2.5 inch pipe will probobly flow at least as well as the mufflers will...this make sense right?

Thanks
Louie