Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-Pipe Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Y-Pipe Trouble

I had a g2 y-pipe 2.75 diameter installed and it is making a stutter clatter when I accelerate on my 2001 trans am. When I floor it, it goes away. It is connected to the borla catback. Before I had it installed I just had the borla catback and it did not do it before. When it is idling and I rev it up it stutters a little bit. I took a look under the car and when I rev it up the pipes wiggle a little bit. The y-pipe was bolted on. Please help!
Old 04-02-2005, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The y-pipe is probably banging on the floor board on the drivers side. Do you still have the stock exhaust manifolds? Check for clearance above the y-pipe, make sure you can fit 1-2 fingers between the y-pipe and the floorboard. If that doesn't fix it, then you need to find out where it is banging and place a heater hose or a power steering hose between the two.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

If nothing else works, just get some Prothane poly motor mounts. They're a pain in the @$$ to install, true, but it was the best $50 I've spent on the car yet.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

Thanks I am going to try that, but just in case do you think it could be anything else?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Randolph Ziskey
Thanks I am going to try that, but just in case do you think it could be anything else?
No, if it started after installing the y-pipe, it is the y-pipe. And you said it was wiggling. So, it is hitting the floorboard or something else somewhere.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

What kind of clamp are you using to connect the y-pipe to the i-pipe? I had to use a band clamp to secure my Magnaflow i-pipe to my stock y-pipe because it would move ever so slightly and make an annoying buzzing sound. Not sure if this the EXACT thing you're talking about, but it wouldn't hurt to check it.

The way that I figured this out was that I had someone sit in the car and brake torque it up to about 1100 rpm. That was where the buzzing sound happened the most. Then I pressed up against the driver's side of the y-pipe with a piece of rubber. It stopped the noise.

But if it is that the pipe is hitting the bottom of the car, and you can't adjust it out, my advice is to get poly motor mounts.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Hey Keenov, how'd your TSP duals fit? I had to adjust mine twice, and even when I got the right amount of ground clearance ( Mine have yet to scrape ), they still hit the bottom of the car.

I fixed it with polys though.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jet_black
Hey Keenov, how'd your TSP duals fit? I had to adjust mine twice, and even when I got the right amount of ground clearance ( Mine have yet to scrape ), they still hit the bottom of the car.

I fixed it with polys though.
My duals fit perfect. They did not hit the bottom of the car before I put poly mounts on. Ground clearance is good too. I only scrap if someone sits in the back and I hit a slight dip in the road. I resolved that by taking the back seats out

Some speed bumps get me too. I try to avoid most of them.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

What kind of clamp are you using to connect the y-pipe to the i-pipe? I had to use a band clamp to secure my Magnaflow i-pipe to my stock y-pipe because it would move ever so slightly and make an annoying buzzing sound. Not sure if this the EXACT thing you're talking about, but it wouldn't hurt to check it.

The way that I figured this out was that I had someone sit in the car and brake torque it up to about 1100 rpm. That was where the buzzing sound happened the most. Then I pressed up against the driver's side of the y-pipe with a piece of rubber. It stopped the noise.

But if it is that the pipe is hitting the bottom of the car, and you can't adjust it out, my advice is to get poly motor mounts.
Thanks guys for the replies, I am going to check it out as best I can. Someone suggested it could be a exhaust leak. I don't think the car is messed up because the service engine has not gone off. It has 2x band clamps from the borla i pipe to the g2 y pipe. I am gonna check and see if it is banging somewhere or maybe a leak. Hopefully I will fix the problem because the power is there it's just that it makes that ugly sound.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Keenov
My duals fit perfect. They did not hit the bottom of the car before I put poly mounts on. Ground clearance is good too. I only scrap if someone sits in the back and I hit a slight dip in the road. I resolved that by taking the back seats out

Some speed bumps get me too. I try to avoid most of them.

I agree no one needs to sit in the back. The speed bumps are hazardous.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where can I get a good deal on the poly motor mounts just in case I have to go that route? I am in Texas.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

I got mine from Thunder Racing--->

I'm sure that either MTI or TSP could get them for you. Six in one hand, half-dozen in the other...
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Randolph Ziskey
I had a g2 y-pipe 2.75 diameter installed and it is making a stutter clatter when I accelerate on my 2001 trans am. When I floor it, it goes away. It is connected to the borla catback. Before I had it installed I just had the borla catback and it did not do it before. When it is idling and I rev it up it stutters a little bit. I took a look under the car and when I rev it up the pipes wiggle a little bit. The y-pipe was bolted on. Please help!
I forgot about this thread...update years later...one of the bolts on the y pipe were loose..I went back to the muffler shop and after they realized one was loose they tightened it....It went away...sometimes its the small things.....

Quick Reply: Y-Pipe Trouble