Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???02 sims???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ???02 sims???

hey just wondering if 02 sims are needed when installing LTs.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't use them, you'll trip an SES light. You can use them to avoid this, or you can find someone who can tune it out. I am getting ready to install LT's on my '99 and am deleting the EGR and AIR, so I am not getting the sims, just gonna have it all tuned out.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
If you don't use them, you'll trip an SES light. You can use them to avoid this, or you can find someone who can tune it out. I am getting ready to install LT's on my '99 and am deleting the EGR and AIR, so I am not getting the sims, just gonna have it all tuned out.
cool so if i get my car tuned then i dont need them. I will probably go that route, however i dont think i will do it right away how long can i ride around with a SES light, and if it does any damage/harm to my car??
Old 04-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Teching In

I just gutted my cats and left the sensors in.
However how long does it take to set a code? Cause i have a full day of driving around on the gutted cats and have not set a code yet.
I also plan to have them,the egr and air codes taken out when i put long tubes on.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

ls1_cam2...you can have the SES light on as long as you like...it'll be annoying as hell knowing that it's there (at least it would be for me) and you won't know if you're throwing codes for anything else while it's on but it won't hurt the car
Old 04-16-2005, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

You can leave the light on as long as you like and it shouldn't hurt anything. The only real downside is that you won't know if something else minor goes wrong since the light is already there.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Teching In

How long before the light came on?
Like i said i gutted the cats today and the light hasnt come on yet.
Now if i removed the sensors i know the light would come on right away.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:48 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Just remember that you need the o2 sensors upstream of the cats. You need a set of o2 sims, and block offs for the rear o2 bungs downstream of the cats.

If you gut the cats, the PCM should pick up on it and trip the light. If it hasn't yet, it may randomly at some point when you start the car, or even just driving around. All the rear sensors are doing downstream of the cats is basically telling the PCM everything is "copesetic." If you gutted the crap out of the cats, at some point you should get a light. Obviously it didn't happen right away...not really sure why. It may have some thing to do with the temperature, and the PCM not having to cycle from open/closed loop?

Start it up at night when it's a bit cooler out and I bet you'll get a light.

Last edited by BAD ASS TA WS6; 04-16-2005 at 04:54 PM.